Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You do know salt water pools use chlorine, right? A generator converts salt (NaCl) to chlorine.
It's not straight chlorine and there are fewer chemicals. The smell of chlorine pools burns my face....my sinuses can't handle it. No such problem with saline pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
watch out for warm lakes and that brain eating amoeba or flesh eating disease!
No such problems at the lake I live on. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll save you some zebra mussels. It'll take a ton for a meal though!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
While the pool may be only $400, a fence enclosing said pool to meet the ordinance in your city/town and/or the requirements of your insurance company may be quite a bit more - check it out.

Your insurance company can drop you if you have a pool without a fence.
Your city/town can fine you for not having a safety fence to code.
^^This. In some states, the state can also fine you and arrest you! I live in one of them. Why have the laws gotten so tough? Children drowning and dying. We need more than just an fence. It has to be a certain height, up to so many inches between pickets, certain types of latches and locks. People get in a ton of trouble for those blowup pools you can buy at Walmart.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's not straight chlorine...
LOL!!! Oh, okay. Then what kind of chlorine is it? It's "free chlorine." Same chlorine in either type of pool.

Your eyes will burn in any type of water that isn't properly maintained. Improper pH levels will burn your eyes in either type of pool. Excessive chloramine levels will burn your eyes in either type of pool. The trick???? Maintain the pool, and try to prevent people from urinating in the pool.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-21-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 12:41 AM

817 posts, read 922,386 times
There has to be a certain amount of respect for others in using a community pool or public pool. At least at a public pool there are teenagers paid to tell you what not to do, but at HOA or apartment pools you are usually on your own.

At our HOA we had a blowup taken to social media where an adult asked for splash free time in the pool. One of the moms was incensed that her three kids were asked for 15 minutes of calm. The adult doing the asking was painted as a crabby old lady in the story, and maybe she is in real life since we don't know who it was. The mom just had to talk about her kids were not spashing (right) and who is anyone to keep her kids from having the fun they deserve. Just guessing but the kids probably splashing to the level of an adult's face or hair, and not keeping to one end of the pool. I am sure that if the adult lady had been a young mom with a baby, the kids mom would have told the kids to stop splashing so the baby would not be afraid of the water. IMO the residents who want to enjoy the pool are paying their HOA dues and should have a chance to enjoy the pool. The mom who wants 7-12 year olds to rule the pool just wants a something to occupy and tire out her kids and anyone getting in the way of that is an annoyance.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
...the kids probably splashing to the level of an adult's face or hair...
Oh hayull no, tell me that didn't really happen!!!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 06:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
The public pool in a nearby city where I lived wouldn't allow face masks, only the eye masks. I wear contacts and I hate water in my nose. How was someone wearing a face mask affecting anybody? The lifeguards were like little gestapos. Went there once and never again. I understand rules but sometimes they are ridiculous and most of them are there because of one idiot who sued.

Where I live now I used to bring these little pool animals that were less than an ounce for my granddaughter to catch. Well the last time I was there I was told we couldn't do that anymore because a lady got hit in the eye with a pool toy and had serious eye damage. It's all about liability. The lawyers and frivolous lawsuits are turning our country into a nanny state.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconstan View Post
I wanted to ask if the general population thinks that rules at public pools are reasonable or are they starting to get to the point where you can't have any fun...

However, I don't understand rules like the following:
- no splashing
Really? Does it really interfere with people having fun at the pool THAT much? All the people who were inadvertently splashed by a water fight in the past, banded together and decided water fights were harmful to everyone else?
- no piggyback rides
I sort of understand. A young child carrying another young child on their back might let go of them near the wall. The rider could fall backwards and crack their head on the wall. However, such incidents are probably quite rare. It still seems a bit silly sometimes.

I am just kind of annoyed...

Heather
I can easily answer this question. While browsing the front page for things to read, your thread title came up. My very first thought after reading JUST the title was: So everything that makes the pool fun, they took away. What's the point then?

I agree with you. It's water, you're going to get wet. We splashed, used flotation devices, gave piggy back rides in the public pool all the time. We even jumped and did cannon balls all the time.

Essentially the only rule we had back when I was a kid was no running and rinse off in the shower before entering the pool. Other than that, everyone got to have fun and guess what? We didn't have a nation of criers back then, people just got over themselves.

Edit to add: For our swimming test to be able to go in the deep end where the diving boards were, all we had to do was be able to swim from one side of the pool to the other. They didn't even care how we did it...if we wanted to dog paddle the entire way, as long as we could make it, that's all that mattered.

For the boards themselves, we were allowed to jump off of them, dive off of them, do backflips and front flips off of them...God no wonder kids stay inside on their video games anymore. Adults have taken all the fun out of outdoor activities.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-22-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The point of my post wasn't to promote swimming the butterfly in the average community pool, but rather that the community pool mentioned by the OP was requiring passing a swim test that mandated using two specific strokes (freestyle and breast stroke) and ONLY those two strokes before a swimmer was allowed to swim in the deep end of the pool. So if someone swam the test using the butterfly and the back stroke, they'd automatically fail the test despite swimming perfectly well and being completely competent to handle deep water. That's what I found baffling.
Exactly. The butterfly and backstroke are more difficult than the other two, IMO. The butterfly requires hard core upper body strength, and the backstroke requires the ability to ignore all the water rushing into your nose, plus more awareness of your location relative to the pool. Swimming is swimming. Either you can swim or you can't. It's illogical to favor one stroke over the others.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Hey, dogs do what dogs do. I get that. The really relaxation destroying part is the clueless owner who lets the dog run rampant all the time yelling at the top of his lungs to "Quit that" while the untrained animal ignores him.

I think people were more considerate of each other forty years ago. Now everyone is an exception to the rules.

Substitute the words "kids" for "dogs" and "animals" and "parents" for owners and I agree whole heartedly. Oh, and I agree about the dogs, too.

Of course, I'll immediately be accused of hating children and dogs. I don't, really......I love children and dogs.....well-behaved children and dogs and parents/owners who control them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation