Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times

Advertisements

My bf and I grew up during the 80s and we are both kids at heart. Last night we went to a toy store to look for some classic board games that we used to play as kids. We looked at the modernized versions and they were just horrible. I get that the makers of these games want to update them to appeal to today's kids, but my God they suck. What they succeeded in doing was taking all the fun and challenge out of these games. The classic ones used to appeal to adults as well as children. Now they are dumbed down so that they are even too easy for children to play. Thank goodness I was able to find the original versions on Amazon so that my bf and I can get enjoyment out of playing the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Example?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 AM

Two examples are the game of Life and Operation. The old game of Life had the 3D mountains and buildings on it. There are no setbacks in the new version and there are no insurance or stock certificates. Plus there are these activity cards that tell you to do something stupid. The old one was fun for adults to play and a more challenging game. Same with Operation. The new one makes it so easy to remove the pieces that it is not a challenge. I read the reviews on Amazon for the new versions of the games and I'm not the only one that finds the "new and improved" versions disappointing.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear that!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,008,413 times
One that I agree with this on is Risk. It is almost impossible to find the original version of it. They keep wanting to make different themes on it.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Two examples are the game of Life and Operation. The old game of Life had the 3D mountains and buildings on it. There are no setbacks in the new version and there are no insurance or stock certificates. Plus there are these activity cards that tell you to do something stupid. The old one was fun for adults to play and a more challenging game. Same with Operation. The new one makes it so easy to remove the pieces that it is not a challenge. I read the reviews on Amazon for the new versions of the games and I'm not the only one that finds the "new and improved" versions disappointing.
Interesting observation. I had the (actually still have) the 3-D mountains on my old one. Promissory notes, neat sounding spinning wheel, little cars to put the kiddies in. I was just checking the salaries/ Doctor (which everyone wanted to get =20K WOW! Funny, as I look at all the stopping points.....I always went to college ; always bought insurance. Always wanted a full car of kids. Hmmm, oddly enough, I did fill the car/always bought insurance/went to college and my first job netted me 6K a year (pay in LIFE for simply getting the Bachelor's degree) .

You have inspired me to play the game this weekend! I'll let you know how Life turns out.......
(and sorry to hear they have dumb-ed it all down - games like that did actually teach some helpful lessons. (Still argue with people about getting 500.00 if you landed on Free Parking in Monopoly). I think it was Careers I looked at in later life and gagged at the correctness of it all.

Also liked SKUNK and still have my original. Sad part of that is when I rolled the dice in 2005 in Sarasota Florida , I came up with the double skunk..........................damn, games reflect reality......

Old 07-29-2016, 10:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
They have "retro" versions of a lot of the old board games, for those willing to shell-out a few more bucks for nostalgia.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They have "retro" versions of a lot of the old board games, for those willing to shell-out a few more bucks for nostalgia.
I was doing some comparison shopping and I got the "old" versions of Operation and Life. I also got a nostalgia tin of the Clue game. I am really excited!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,199,687 times
The 80's? Heck they started ruining games in the late 60's and 70's. The "Beatles Flip Your Wig" game was the first one I remember. Utterly stupid.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Heck they started ruining games in the late 60's and 70's. The "Beatles Flip Your Wig" game was the first one I remember. Utterly stupid.
How was it changed from the original?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation