Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

You can also check the adult ed offered by your local school district, community college or community center. Often sewing classes are offered, and you can learn the basics that way. I think you would want to buy a machine for one of those classes.

If you decide to spring for a machine, find a reputable dealer and have someone guide you to a good used machine. The dealer might well also offer classes. When I bought my Babylock a few years ago, I went to a class for my machine, and it was useful. The dealer offered lots of other classes in all levels of quilting.

Hemming jeans should be done with a machine. Have a look at YouTube for tutorials. But other hemming can be done by hand, as can replacing buttons and mending/darning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
The best way to know what you like is to try some different projects. There are free craft books in the library and, as mentioned earlier, lots of youtubes.

Knitting needles are not expensive. You can go to a craft store like Jo Ann's or Michael's if you want, but a lot of Walmarts also have craft supplies. You might find a "Your First Knitting Kit" which will have yarn, needles, and a DVD or book.

Crochet hooks are not expensive, either. You can buy a set of three plastic ones (I'd recommend larger ones, like G and higher in the alphabet).

I've taught beginners basic crochet in 5 - 7 minutes and age 10 and up tend to get the idea immediately. Knitting seems to be harder for many. It takes the 15 year-olds several practice sessions, although if they really want to learn, they'll pick it up in a couple of days. It's not that hard. There are some great youtubes.

There are also basic needlework kits for sale for beginners -- cross stitch and the like -- Walmart has some, but places like Jo Ann's will have a lot more beginner kits. They aren't expensive, either.

Your best bet is to try all of these! You may find that sometimes you like doing one thing and other times another thing.

I'm older now and don't see up close as well as I did, and I've pretty much given up cross stitching and similar crafts. I mostly crochet and hook rugs for hand crafts.

Sewing is a little more involved. Hand sewing is inexpensive but time consuming!

I started in sewing with hemming jeans, making tote bags, and table runners. There are many machines around, ranging from some very questionable $89 models to thousand dollar models with computers, that sometimes gag and die, as well.

My best advice is to take a class, even if it's a one-hour craft project (tote bags are a good beginner project) to get a feel for the machine. If you like it, try to sew on several different ones before you buy one. Some inexpensive machines might be perfect for your needs. Others might just make you frustrated!

This is the one I've been buying for my cousins who are tall and make their own skirts and tops:

Singer Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine | 100-Stitch | Consumer Digest Best Buy

But there are certainly others that are good, too.

To be honest, I can't say that I find sewing that relaxing. I sew because there's something I need. Rug hooking is a lot more mindless to me. There are plenty of cheap rug hooking kits for beginners. The equipment is inexpensive. I'm at the point where I buy blank canvas, color my own pattern, and buy pre-cut yarn, but you don't have to go that far. A $7 kit and a $2 hook will get you started.

Have fun! And don't be afraid to experiment.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM

236 posts, read 259,137 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Crochet seems like it might be the easiest so I'll try that first. There aren't really any craft stores or classes nearby but I did find some youtube videos for total beginners (Mikey/crochet crowd).

Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Crochet seems like it might be the easiest so I'll try that first. There aren't really any craft stores or classes nearby but I did find some youtube videos for total beginners (Mikey/crochet crowd).
You really can't go wrong with crochet. You can use a size Q hook (a huge one) for making a scarf in a few hours or use a smaller one (like size G) for quilt squares. The plastic hooks are inexpensive and the solid metal ones aren't much more.

If you don't like the end result, it's really easy to rip it apart and try again.

I've crocheted off and on throughout my entire life. There's lots of easy projects to do, plus beads can be added . . . have fun and don't be afraid to experiment!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
there are endless you tubes (tutorials) for sewing and knitting. Places like Joanne's have lessons but they are interested in selling you a sewing machine. If you are older and have eyesight problems or arthritis in your hands, sewing on a machine is easier than knitting or crocheting.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I enjoy sewing very much. Gave my DIL one of my older Bernina machines, and now she enjoys sewing too. For a while sewing was not popular but it has come back now to some extent. Home items and quilts seem to be most popular with younger people. I have a friend who makes clothing for handicapped and stroke people though, and it has become a steady little business for her in retirement.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
You can do anything by hand. Nice place to start. There are some vintage sewing machine groups on facebook. A lot of people love the old more metal machines and pick them up cheap at thrift shops and estate sales and work on them to get them going again (not all old machines are worth it, just saying a little homework may be involved. Any Bernina or Pfaff is worth it though if you see one)

My library has a surprising number of sewing books even one on hand sewing. Tons of info on the internet but it can be overwhelming so I might start with a book or two. An easy project may be a valance for a window, a pillow or a pet bed. I'm find garment sewing to be frustrating. If you don't have an easy to fit body it can get complicated very quickly even for simple garments. Home decor and things like purses, totes and bags are more fun.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We have a quilting group in town which is a great place to learn how to do almost any table craft. There's folks who sew quilts, pillowcases, clothing, purses, bags, etc., etc. Other folks knit. Others crochet. Some spin, another makes feather hat bands. It's probably not a typical quilting group, though, I suspect most of them are a little more narrow in their projects. But, if you can find a craft group, then you'll have hands on help with learning. Some of the folks in the quilting group also have an after school sewing group which teaches anyone who shows up how to sew. Most but not all of their students are high school folks.

Ask around and see if there's any similar groups in your area. Otherwise, U-Tube and Ravelry are your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation