Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 PM

345 posts, read 250,257 times

Advertisements

I have to vote for thrift stores. I've bought a beautiful Swiss Bernina (never used), a Viking, and what looks to be an unused Janome for around $20 in total. They make great gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If the machine has these four basic functions, you are ready to do almost anything ...

1 - Variable stitch length (any type of stitching).
2 - Straight stitch.
3 - Zig/zag - variable width.
4 - Hemming stitch.

Most *modern* ones, have umpteen more possibilities than the ones mentioned above.

My wife has a fairly *old* (1980) machine (not computer controlled) with manual dials to create a *fancy* stitch.

When we bought it, I wanted the possibility to use it *as is*, but also made sure that it could be manually operated (no electricity available).

I use it more than she ever has used it !
Shortening pant legs or shirt sleeves, adding pockets to sweatshirts, and whatever can be repaired by sewing ...

Funny thing is that it can *embroider* ...
So when our kids were small, they wanted fancy *Ocean Pacific* clothes !
We bought them clothes at the JCPenneys outlet, and I *embroidered* the logo onto their clothes !
Happy kids !
For us ... , we bought cheapo Jeans, I took the back-pockets off, embroidered fancy patterns on them and sewed them back on !

That machine in your photos is a Pfaff 1221, one of my first machines, and an excellent machine. I had it until machine embroidery was 'invented' and started moving up to bigger machines that do everything under the sun. I now have a beautiful Pfaff 2170 machine and wild horses could not take it away from me. (Also have a few Berninas that I couldn't part with.) Keep your machine(s) serviced by the 'brand' store and you'll be all set.

Bought my daughter a really nice Janome Gem Platinum machine for Christmas about 3 yrs. ago. She wanted to learn to sew; but since she is a nurse who works about 50 hrs. a week, she never had the time. So it's basically brand new, and I'm thinking about selling that one because I need more room for my yarn ... the knitting bug has taken over the hobby room. There's no end to the goodies.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I'm seeing a lot less of the vintage machines showing up at yard sales and thrift shops all of a sudden. Not sure why, it used to be easy to find a 50's to mid-70's all metal machines, now they aren't showing up very often and when they do they're about six times the price they used to be.

Finding one with it's cabinet is always good, too. I've got a cabinet or two that don't have the machines to fit them so getting them as a set is always best if you can manage it.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP this is an interesting question and one I just tackled myself.

I almost bought a new machine in spite of the horrific cost. Then I talked with a friend of mine who is a professional seamstress. She gave me some excellent advice.

Like you, I don't want a machine that hurls me into space - I just want a basic machine for basic sewing. Mainly, I wanted to make some curtains - LOL.

Hey there! its been a long time
Glad you found one, i'm still looking
I think we met on the pets board or politics board 4 yrs back

Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There are goodwill auctions online, estate sales online, check craigslist. I recently bought an old Bernina from a guy on craigslist. Wasn't cheap mind you

But.....But if you are seriously not going to do much or only lightweight fabrics of couple thicknesses, not too many zippers .

Ahhhh zippers lol would def send me to a nut house, I had an aunt who made coats and made me an easter outfit every year, thanks for your advise, appreciated

Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hope the OP is on Facebook. The information available is endless. There are many sewing groups, quilting groups, machine embroidery groups and of course, selling sites. There is a wealth of information from tutorials and most members are so happy to offer advice as well as instructions. People post pictures of problems with machines (like a bird's nest in the bobbin), their project and many are instantly there to help.

i'm not on fb a lot, will check it out, I can picture the birdsnest! thank you

Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post

Two years ago I bought a Singer Stylist machine from Amazon ($140) and it is better than any machine I have ever used. Like the OP I only need it for basic sewing. It even has a lot of added types of stitches and the bobbin is so easy to thread. I have used this machine so much since it's so easy to use (made curtains and other crafts). Unless you are doing professional-level, weekly sewing I wouldn't go with an expensive machine as in my opinion it's not necessary.
thanks i'm gonna take a look at that

Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
I have to vote for thrift stores. I've bought a beautiful Swiss Bernina (never used), a Viking, and what looks to be an unused Janome for around $20 in total. They make great gifts.
I'll have to look there, now that I know some of the other brands from all of you herethanks

Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanks to all who replied

Old 07-23-2017, 01:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
I had a singer cheapie from Walmart. Made pillows, drapes, clothes, for ten years. Didn't give me any trouble at all. Cost me about $100 so when it broke from crappy plastic pressure foot assembly didn't matter. Ten bucks a year. Getting another one right now, hopefully it lasts for another ten years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation