Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,198,051 times

Advertisements

If you are just going to cover it with plywood, get a beefy piece of Baltic Birch (interior finish grade) and make a desk of it. Save the door as a spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 AM

2,500 posts, read 6,299,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

I'm gonna stay away from glass and plexi because I actually do want to have it to be just a wood desk. But I think the thin plywood is the best way to go. Thanks for the tip with the glue @finalmove. And the size of the door is perfect. It's 80" and so is the space that I want the desk to fit in. It might need to be sanded/shaved down a smidge, but it should work perfectly.

Is there some reason you want to use that particular door. JMO. I would just go with a slab door $20-30.
You might find one cheaper at a Habitat store etc.

JELD-WEN 30 in. x 80 in. Woodgrain Flush Unfinished Hardwood Bored Interior Door Slab-THDJW160700196 - The Home Depot

I prefer to use a pair of two drawer file cabinets instead of legs. Helps to control my paper stuff.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...83004789358743

A nice piece of plywood is going to cost you the same and you will have extra wood to deal with. Cheaper plywood will look like plywood.
If you do a slab door you can just clear coat it and lay it on top of the file cabinets.
Also the door will have a nice edge.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,212,367 times
That is such a nice door..I agree with using the glass, plexi or filling it with the plywood..
but if you aren't down with the clear coating..well it's your door. :~}

Still very cool that you are thinking of repurposing it rather than tossing it..

Good luck with the project!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times
There are several links to ideas of how to repurpose an old door....Here are just a couple of links. The second contained pics....and desk top examples. Have fun.....and please update with pics after you get your project done

Repurposed Door Crafts - Easy Craft Ideas
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1C&FORM=IQFRBA

Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,520,299 times
I would have a piece of glass or acrylic cut for it to cover it and call it a day.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:49 AM

783 posts, read 571,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You want to be able to see the panels! Get a piece of tempered glass for the top. That way, you can slip often-needed notes under the glass. I would buy at least two short, wood file cabinets for the legs, and finish them to match the door/top.
Yeah, I actually don't want to see the panels. It would be very distracting to me. I know it sounds weird, but it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you are just going to cover it with plywood, get a beefy piece of Baltic Birch (interior finish grade) and make a desk of it. Save the door as a spare.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to go with a basic Sande Plywood, but I'll check out the Birch as well. Sande Plywood (Common: 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.; Actual: 0.205 in. x 48 in. x 96 in.)-479023 - The Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Is there some reason you want to use that particular door. JMO. I would just go with a slab door $20-30.
You might find one cheaper at a Habitat store etc.

JELD-WEN 30 in. x 80 in. Woodgrain Flush Unfinished Hardwood Bored Interior Door Slab-THDJW160700196 - The Home Depot

I prefer to use a pair of two drawer file cabinets instead of legs. Helps to control my paper stuff.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...83004789358743

A nice piece of plywood is going to cost you the same and you will have extra wood to deal with. Cheaper plywood will look like plywood.
If you do a slab door you can just clear coat it and lay it on top of the file cabinets.
Also the door will have a nice edge.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think file cabinets would be out of my budget. Also, I don't have a car so it would be hard to get them home if I did. I also just like the idea of pipe legs. They seem simple to work with and I can spray paint them to match (or compliment) the color of the desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
That is such a nice door..I agree with using the glass, plexi or filling it with the plywood..
but if you aren't down with the clear coating..well it's your door. :~}

Still very cool that you are thinking of repurposing it rather than tossing it..

Good luck with the project!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There are several links to ideas of how to repurpose an old door....Here are just a couple of links. The second contained pics....and desk top examples. Have fun.....and please update with pics after you get your project done

Repurposed Door Crafts - Easy Craft Ideas
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1C&FORM=IQFRBA
Thanks for the links, will do. I probably won't get to it until the spring, when I can work in the yard.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,199,402 times
How are you going to get the 4x8 sheet of plywood home?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Exactly. Why waste a beautiful door and just cover it with cheap plywood. Disappointed OP.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,329,285 times
I may be showing my age with this "Hippy era" solution to putting resin tabletops on top of repurposed material.
Just leave out the penny coins, marijuana leaves, the pictures of family and you might have something that lives longer then you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-37FeNedGd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCF79_jqX8k

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

997 posts, read 929,156 times
The door doesn't sound practical if it has panels. Yes, you can put plywood over it but that would be ugly.

We have a door table that is on sawhorses. It is functional, not beautiful but it gets the job done. That is a smooth door and the difference is that it is smooth and it works.

Glass would be heavy and expensive, but maybe a sheet of acrylic would work. We have a store in town that would sell that.

I personally use stacked modular cubes as the legs, and a piece of melamine wood as the door. I like to cover mine with a plastic tablecloth, oilcloth, or even paper and I can change it when I want. That is something to consider.

You can use pipes for legs but I don't know why you would want to do that.

You can get file cabinets on craigslist. People get rid of them all the time because we don't need them as much now that we have computers. You could probably find some free ones. It is nice to have drawers.

ePlastics® Shipping Policy Information

That is a link for a place that will ship an acrylic sheet. I don't know if it is what you want but they would ship it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation