Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

I started doing this 4 years ago. I got into crafting authentic period items and giving them as gifts. Stuff like authentic atlatl spears, tomahawks, knives, quivers of arrows (and the quivers) cerimonial items like feather amulets and such, spears and lances etc. I use all correct methods and materials (no prefab stuff) and it's all been a hit. It's a lot of work. Gathering all the material, especially the feathers, and finishing shafts and such. Mixing various natural inge diets into paints is rather labor intensive as well. But it's all extremely gratifying when the people who receive the things I make truly appreciate them. It's also translated into paying projects when other people see the things and want such things for themselves.

It does keep me busy. I made a decorative atlatl spear for my lady that turned out better than I could have hoped. I used straightened and tempered bamboo for the shaft painted with red ochre and greens and yellows mixed from different minerals, fetched it with peacock feathers and made the tip from a silver ingot, hand hammered and filed and then used the silver dust to coat the shaft back of the point. I also used hawk , owl and Mountain Bluebird feathers to further decorate the shaft. Feathers I got from old nests and off the ground. No I didn't kill any birds for them.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else likes to make gifts themselves and what type of things people make. I find its a very gratifying way to spend some spare time and use my imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 04:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
LOL. I did this when I was younger for many years...I painted, made clothing, toys, carpentry items like spice racks and shadow boxes, food (desserts) , and added appropriate accompanying items like hand sewn spice bags; personalized memorabilia...no longer. I'm too 'OCD' and these projects became obsessively intricate.

Now I do create individualized gifts by putting together certain things. This year, I decided (as I was snacking on my favorite nut) that I will put together a gift of nuts and candies made with these same nuts (that I will purchase, NOT make). Just yesterday I found some beautiful hand-painted gourds at the Farmer's Market and have ordered a quantity to be made specially for me. I will put the nuts/candies in them in a food safe container, along with some recipes for their use. I will wrap them and I will be done. The gift will be special because it will depict art that is particular to my location, as are the nuts/candies and I know that those who receive them, either locally or back home, will love them. I always gift something I love myself!

I just don't have the patience to hand craft anymore, but I do appreciate other artisans who do. I do tend to overspend...but I'm a stickler for quality, so... Just noted you are in NV. I'm in NM and the gourds are local and crafted by a local artist with southwestern themes - really well done - and the nuts are 'piñon', so they are special to us, plus they are absolutely delicious. I usually just send NM pecans to one relative, but this year I will also add those to the piñones that others receive.

Your craft sounds amazing. The thing about handmade gifts is that they really are a labor of love and IMHO are done as much for the maker as the receiver. It's something one just feels a need to do and it is definitely rewarding.

Only thing is, I have often wished I had kept some of the art I created...LOL. Merry Christmas!

Old 11-27-2016, 04:57 PM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
For Christmas I give my own made camdles,greeting cards,homebaked Christmas sweets and used to make jams or bottled juice.I also did a lot of knitting and crocheting making scarfs/scarves,mittens,wool hats,, bedspreads or baby blankets.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 PM

242 posts, read 300,730 times
Last year I was a little tight on money so I made jams and candies for everyone on my list. It turned out to be a huge success and I'm thinking of doing it again this year.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I started doing this 4 years ago. I got into crafting authentic period items and giving them as gifts. Stuff like authentic atlatl spears, tomahawks, knives, quivers of arrows (and the quivers) cerimonial items like feather amulets and such, spears and lances etc. I use all correct methods and materials (no prefab stuff) and it's all been a hit. It's a lot of work. Gathering all the material, especially the feathers, and finishing shafts and such. Mixing various natural inge diets into paints is rather labor intensive as well. But it's all extremely gratifying when the people who receive the things I make truly appreciate them. It's also translated into paying projects when other people see the things and want such things for themselves.

It does keep me busy. I made a decorative atlatl spear for my lady that turned out better than I could have hoped. I used straightened and tempered bamboo for the shaft painted with red ochre and greens and yellows mixed from different minerals, fetched it with peacock feathers and made the tip from a silver ingot, hand hammered and filed and then used the silver dust to coat the shaft back of the point. I also used hawk , owl and Mountain Bluebird feathers to further decorate the shaft. Feathers I got from old nests and off the ground. No I didn't kill any birds for them.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else likes to make gifts themselves and what type of things people make. I find its a very gratifying way to spend some spare time and use my imagination.
Handmade gifts to me are the best thing ever!

I crochet, sew and do a bit of canning. So I am always making things for people. Someday I would love to learn to make an atlal and knives. I am obsessed with this youtube channel calle Primitive Technology. Now that guy can make anything!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Handmade gifts to me are the best thing ever!

I crochet, sew and do a bit of canning. So I am always making things for people. Someday I would love to learn to make an atlal and knives. I am obsessed with this youtube channel calle Primitive Technology. Now that guy can make anything!

Ive seen that show. Yes its great stuff he makes. I'm heading out Friday to gather some materials for my stuff for Christmas. I gotta get moving LOL, cutting things close on fabrication time. The flint and obsidian chipping he does on Primitive Technology, now that's something I want to learn. I really want to make a black or red obsidian tipped lance, atlatl darts and belt knife hunting set. Way back when I was just a kid we were camping in a very remote section of mountains up here and a friend I was exploring with turned up a black obsidian knife or maybe it was a lance tip. It was long, better than 12 inches, and in absolutely PERFECT condition. Totally intact. And beautifully made. Few modern steel blades could look this sweet.

An archeology proff at the Desert Research Institute at UNR dated the thing back to times when there were mammoths here. Way preceding the Indian tribe that claims this area as home turf now. This piece was a Clovis. He was quite excited about it. I have visions of copying it for the set I'm going to make. One thing I have good access to here is black and red obsidian. Lots of that stuff out there. I have a prime spot I get that stuff from. Authenticity is my passion on the things I make. Right down to being functional. But I do tell the people who buy things from me that though tey are functional, with obsidian tips I don't recommend they use them that way. Lol, not if they want to keep the tips intact. Would hate to see all my hard work and their investment get shattered on a concrete walk because their kids took it down and threw it at something.

I'm working on a set specifically for use. Its a yard game actually. I use bamboo shafts still, but I use modern paints, glues and resins to put it all together. And metal tips. Brass ,copper or steel.There two sets, with atlatls to match.three willow hoops of varying size that go on a bale of straw or other soft backstop. Then try and stick the darts in the hoop. Smaller hoops are more points. Its like horseshoes with spears. Its been a hit for everyone whos played with other sets I've completed.

Yea, I like my hobby. Gathering the materials is probably the best part. Get to go out to the remote places and get some real fresh air.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:27 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ive seen that show. Yes its great stuff he makes. I'm heading out Friday to gather some materials for my stuff for Christmas. I gotta get moving LOL, cutting things close on fabrication time. The flint and obsidian chipping he does on Primitive Technology, now that's something I want to learn. I really want to make a black or red obsidian tipped lance, atlatl darts and belt knife hunting set. Way back when I was just a kid we were camping in a very remote section of mountains up here and a friend I was exploring with turned up a black obsidian knife or maybe it was a lance tip. It was long, better than 12 inches, and in absolutely PERFECT condition. Totally intact. And beautifully made. Few modern steel blades could look this sweet.

An archeology proff at the Desert Research Institute at UNR dated the thing back to times when there were mammoths here. Way preceding the Indian tribe that claims this area as home turf now. This piece was a Clovis. He was quite excited about it. I have visions of copying it for the set I'm going to make. One thing I have good access to here is black and red obsidian. Lots of that stuff out there. I have a prime spot I get that stuff from. Authenticity is my passion on the things I make. Right down to being functional. But I do tell the people who buy things from me that though tey are functional, with obsidian tips I don't recommend they use them that way. Lol, not if they want to keep the tips intact. Would hate to see all my hard work and their investment get shattered on a concrete walk because their kids took it down and threw it at something.

I'm working on a set specifically for use. Its a yard game actually. I use bamboo shafts still, but I use modern paints, glues and resins to put it all together. And metal tips. Brass ,copper or steel.There two sets, with atlatls to match.three willow hoops of varying size that go on a bale of straw or other soft backstop. Then try and stick the darts in the hoop. Smaller hoops are more points. Its like horseshoes with spears. Its been a hit for everyone whos played with other sets I've completed.

Yea, I like my hobby. Gathering the materials is probably the best part. Get to go out to the remote places and get some real fresh air.

That is a very cool story. What do you charge for the things you make? Your game sounds amazing as well. Would love to see pictures of your work.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
That is a very cool story. What do you charge for the things you make? Your game sounds amazing as well. Would love to see pictures of your work.

I'll have to load some pics from my phone and see if I can put them up. What I might charge some one for a piece varies. Depends on how much work went into it, quality of the materials, and of course who the customer is. Lol, I give a lot away. I've done a couple made to orders. Those I charged for. I don't really like doing them because its like following a set of directions. I like to use my imagination on the things I make. I think the most I've charged for a piece was $250.00. That was for a VERY pretty atlatl set and dart quiver. Black obsidian large game tips, straightened fire tempered willow shafts fletched with Canada goose and red tailed hawk feathers with an antler and mountain mahogany hybrid atlatl. The quiver was deerskin decorated with porcupine quills.

One of my better efforts for sure. It turned out sweet. If I do say so myself.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
No.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
One year I made quilts for all the grandkids. Took me all year to make them. Course, now they all have bigger beds and they don't quite fit but they still use them and talk about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation