Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 188,775 times

Advertisements

My passion is animals. I helped in TNR and ended up keeping some since they were considered "not adoptable" so I now have 9 cats (also have a dog). I started a pet sitting business because of my love of animals (I'm cat only pet sitting right now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 02:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Golf, even on a bad day.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 PM

210 posts, read 285,951 times
Nature and wildlife photography. Sadly, it's the only thing that I don't get bored with real fast.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 PM

833 posts, read 657,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
My passion is animals. I helped in TNR and ended up keeping some since they were considered "not adoptable" so I now have 9 cats (also have a dog). I started a pet sitting business because of my love of animals (I'm cat only pet sitting right now).
Respect! I also feel the same way. My passions are Animals and study of subconscious in order to change one's paradigm.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 PM

37 posts, read 24,753 times
Idk if this would count, but a few of my friends recognize this "passion" in me — MMA. I like it for self-defense purposes mostly, I don't aspire to go around assaulting people or anything. I'd like to compete in professional fighting if it weren't for my injuries.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I have a few: travel, science, psychology, and unexplained phenomena

Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Writing, golf, classic oldies music, and reading.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
What I "live for" varies over the decades. A man needs purpose in life.

I have talent for a few subjects. What do they say, some number of thousands of hours in a particular subject or hobby before you're an expert? I've put thousands of hours into the following:

Riding Motorcycles, High Performance: not some jerkwater "cruising with the bros" or some biker gang, but training to ride well on street and race track. Raced three seasons on roadracing tracks, Expert license through AFM, WMRRA, and reciprocity w/AMA. Adventure riding, dirt and street, in six countries and counting. I've been riding since about 1987. Most of what the safety nazis claim about "dangerous motorcycles" is damn lies, though they will kill you with ruthless efficiency, sooner vs. later, if you're not paying close attention at all times.

Small Arms Handling and Tactics: self-explanatory. Range time, and real-world courses and scenarios through various organizations. Was pointed out to me the other day, in a rather concerned way, "Geez, you're bad-ass with all this!" Nothing to be concerned about, I'm merely interested in protecting my own skin in a crisis, in the unlikely event ever needed.

Writing: here and elsewhere. Providing both opinion and expertise. Blogs are merely essays expressing mostly the former. I'm not passionate or patient enough to write novels; my limit is a few thousand words.

My work, in software, requires intimate comfort with technology and constant refreshing, both personally and professionally, on current trends. Then providing solutions to customers. Few, if any, people with IT careers reach senior management and executive level without a passionate desire to actually use the tech in ways to better both customers and people in-general.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Dance - Ballet trained since I was 4 yrs old but never danced it professionally because I haven't the correct body build or strength. However - my passion turned to middle eastern dance (belly dance) and I studied and became very good so taught and performed for over 25 yrs. I LOVE it and the music!

Horses - love to ride and did some horse treks in Europe - what adventures! Most remarkable was a trek in Iceland that almost killed me it was so difficult but I did it and it was exhilarating! Got to go and see places that otherwise, a person can't. To be galloping wildly across the very land mentioned in the Viking sagas!

Dogs - I have had 19 dogs in my life, most rescued from bad situations. I did 5 yrs volunteer at a kill shelter that gave me PTSD. I love all animals and laugh if you must, but I can hear them think. They have given such joy and comfort in my life that I wouldn't want to live without dogs.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Animals of course. I have lived with or known quite a few different kinds and I love them equally. Right now one of the great loves of my life is the first cat that has ever been mine alone (well, OK, the H's, too).

But my passion is sewing. I love to sew. I love sewing by machine, love the power of an industrial factory machine and equally the feel of a needle and thread in my hand. I can sit for hours until I'm bent and stiff making the same stitch over and over and over again. There's something pure and simple and real about it, the work of your hands, that I couldn't live without. Couple that with loving color, and the kind of bright and in your face color combinations you can't really use in other areas of your life. So I have some blinding quilts, do some fine alterations, but am presently putting as much care and attention into some recycled denim potholders to sell. No matter what I sew, I feel as passionate about it as any other thing. It's the craft that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation