Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

Do you sew?

If so, what do you think of this plan?

I ordered and received a car seat cover from a company. The pattern is exactly the style and colors that I want. However, the cover itself is junk. (A) the material is too lightweight and after only a week started to shred, (it sits a little baggy and therefore slides around on the seat.

I am thinking about:
  1. Pinning it up to close unecessary gaps.
  2. Taking it apart at it's seams to make anew patterns.
  3. Once the patterns are made, getting heavier material in the right colors to make a new copy of the covers.
  4. Getting a sewing machine.
  5. Sewing it up.
I am looking to do this myself because:
  • A local car upholstery shop quoted me over $300.00 to make two seat covers.
  • I am always looking to try something new.
  • Once I buy the machine, I also want to create a few more custom pieces.
  • A sewing machine for a few small projects a year is not that expensive.

Is there anyone who sews who thinks this might be a daunting task for a newbie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Do you sew?

I ordered and received a car seat cover from a company. The pattern is exactly the style and colors that I want. However, the cover itself is junk. (A) the material is too lightweight and after only a week started to shred, (it sits a little baggy and therefore slides around on the seat.

I am thinking about:
  3. Once the patterns are made, getting heavier material in the right colors to make a new copy of the covers.
  5. Sewing it up.

Could you post a picture of the seat cover you have before you take it apart?

If you have never sewn anything, you will want to practice on some inexpensive material before tackling your main project. Some craft stores offer lessons. A fabric store can help with choosing the best fabric, the right thread, and the right needles for the job. Also, if your projects are going to be things like seat covers you might need a sturdier machine.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:08 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
IF you are detail oriented, patient, and motivated to do some work with your new interest ...

I'd say "go for it".

What's the upside? A set of car seat covers that you can custom adjust to "fit" as required without the "little baggy" surplus of material that slides around. Owning & using a sewing machine for those other "small projects".

What's the downside? You discover that your skillset and interest aren't up to the task and you've bought a sewing machine and some upholstery fabric that you don't use.

Given that quality used sewing machines (or even some of the new ones) that are up to the task you present are a very minimal investment, you're not risking much to get started on this venture. You've already bought the "patterns" for your project.

Bear in mind that everybody who sews "started somewhere" to learn about the work. You may find that your local sewing machine dealerships or community college have "intro to sewing" classes at very low cost to teach you the basics. It's really not that hard to do with a good head start on how to operate the machine and knowing what it can do for you. Learning to take your time to place the needle where you need it to be and following the path required is a big part of running a sewing machine properly. You don't need to run the machine fast as accuracy is more important to your finished product.

I'd suggest that you buy some inexpensive material to practice with to see how everything goes together. The sewing machine manufacturer and your local sewing machine dealer will have their advice on what needles and thread to use for your materials. Don't forget that you'll need accessory items ... measuring tapes, good scissors, pins, marking pens. For me doing boat covers, I've found that stapling the pieces together to mock up the final product is handy. Holds fabric together enough to "try fit" it on the object and then allows for adjustment. I can stitch right over the stapled areas that are held together and remove the staples as I go ... you'll find staplers made for this purpose are very inexpensive, too. Other folk simply "pin up" their projects for the same purpose; it all comes down to what you're comfortable with and works for you.

The beauty of having patterns to start with is that you already know where they aren't fitting very well. It should be reasonably obvious where to make the new covers a little bit closer fitting. You can start by making your new covers close to the original patterns and then re-sew as needed to close up the covers. Just as in so many other craftsmanship projects, start on the bigger side and work carefully down to the final size. If it takes a try or two on your material to adjust things to fit, so be it. And it may be worth your time to make a first cover with inexpensive material for the practice of seeing how everything goes together and fits. Once you've experimented with fitting up that material, then you can move on to the durable upholstery fabric that's more expensive.

Good luck with your projects and have fun. This is an area where you can have a lot of pride in your finished project that you put to use every time you drive your car.

PS: everybody has their "favorite" sewing machines that are readily available for not much money. I like old Pfaff models and have several in excellent working condition that cost me $100 ... or less ... for a basic straight/zig-zag stitch machine. These were heavy duty machines that could easily do upholstery weight fabric sewing (and very light fabrics, too). But much as I like my 60+ year old all metal sewing machines ... my wife got her Mom's Singer Electronic machine with all the fancy stitch patterns built in ... and it sews like a champ for her. With the right needle and thread, it would do a seat cover project. Test sew with any machine under consideration and buy what you like.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-06-2017 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Honestly? I think you are over-thinking this problem.

Look further online and buy better-quality seat covers.

DONE!

I've been sewing off and on for 50 years. It's a great hobby, but seat covers aren't a beginner project.

You sound very picky. Buy better seat covers first, and then take a two-hour sewing class at JoAnn's (or similar) where you create one specific project, like a tote bag, on their equipment under the guidance of a teacher. Then, if you still like sewing, buy a machine and move on from there.

If you don't, you just saved yourself a ton of money, and you still end up with much better seat covers than the ones that started you on this path in the first place.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Much of what all of you are saying rings true to me.

And because the seats are fairly uniquely shaped, and because it is a thirty year old model, there are very few covers that are made to fit and I would prefer that something fit correctly - and tight rather than the loose baggie I have now. I would think this eliminates buying an off the shelf cover set.

As I think about it further, starting with a cover that fits poorly is probably a bad idea itself. Maybe I should be thinking about making a custom pattern.

And to be honest, the skills required are not that big an issue to me, I can gain skills. It may take a few tries, but I expect I would improve as time passes - with the ultimate result being that I get what I want. Yes,I am picky.

But what does make a difference is cost. Not that I think the cost of material is that much, but depending on how many times I have to try, reject, start again, maybe it would be simpler just to go ahead and pay the $300? Looking at the Jo Ann site, it doesn't seem to be very expensive. What I want to avoid is spending $300 and getting still another baggie - just a little tighter.

But now that I read these responses, I am thinking I am skipping a key step. I think I will post to the automotive section first to see what kind of quality others are getting at what cost. Then come back here if necessary.

Thanks for the responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Sewing (on a Machine)-car.jpg  

Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
OP, 1987 . . . what? AMC Eagle? I know you can do better than $300. You're right: those seat covers don't fit.

I'll tell you what a boyfriend did once to his Honda Civic, back in the 1980s, but it might not be as affordable today. He went to a fabric store and bought several yards navy blue terry cloth and a box or two of furniture tacks. He positioned a piece of the terry cloth where he wanted it and then pinned it to the backs of the car seats, plus several rows in front to hold down. Then he used a separate piece on the bottom part and tucked some extra underneath. I hated those tacks in front because they snagged my nylons!

But at the time, He spent less than $25 and it lasted until he sold the car, about a year or so later. You might have too much hard plastic in your seats to make something like that work.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
If you are planning to use heavier material, then you need to be sure your machine can handle two layers of the material plus any piping you might use between the seams.

Also, if the material is unusual or has a unique finish, you might have trouble sewing it. You might need special needles and/or a special foot. And, you might also need to use a heavy duty thread.

Most machines can handle heavier thread, but not all will be able to feed the material through the feed dogs if the material is unusual, nubby, slick or thick.

If you are an experienced sewist, you stand a better chance of doing this. If you are not, you will find this hard.

Honestly, I'd just buy new covers.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Do you sew?

I am thinking about:
  5. Sewing it up.

Yes, it is a daunting task even for a long (over 50 yrs.) experienced expert sewer such as myself. The machine you show in the photo is basically a 'toy'. Upholstery shops have heavy duty industrial machines. I would never consider seat covers. And what a waste of your time and (already) money by using the one you ordered as a "pattern". You can buy some decent seat covers either online (you get what you pay for), or maybe even at WalMart that will cost you a heck of a lot less money and aggravation. I would first go to a good auto parts store, there are several in every city/town.

I give you credit for wanting to try a project, but start off with something simple that you can make and be proud of, and invest in a decent machine.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just don't get why anyone needs seat covers for a car in the first place.

I have made slip covers for furniture and it's all the same basically. Fit the covers inside out. Sew them and flip them rightside out. Done.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just don't get why anyone needs seat covers for a car in the first place.

I have made slip covers for furniture and it's all the same basically. Fit the covers inside out. Sew them and flip them rightside out. Done.
I'd have to assume that you have not tried to get into a convertible with the top down and with leather seats in the middle of the day in SC sunshine.

Edit: I forgot to add... "While wearing shorts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation