Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:09 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times

Advertisements

Sewing thread people....I need your input! I have been purchasing my serger thread from SewTrue. Hadn't gone to the site since 2017. I go there today.....and they closed it.

Where do you buy your serger thread from? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Sewing thread people....I need your input! I have been purchasing my serger thread from SewTrue. Hadn't gone to the site since 2017. I go there today.....and they closed it.

I buy all my sewing goods from amazon .

Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
Sewing machine dealers

Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post

Try zipperstop.com

Old 10-27-2018, 01:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
That's a pretty impressive Halloween decoration for the price.

As for the hair, I don't know what it looks like wefted, but is it possible for your colorist to color it (or any hair, now that I'm asking) off your head? It's so interesting. I've never heard of anyone doing that before.
I sewed the hair into long rows making sure that it was all facing the naturally growing way. Then I intended to sew it onto netting to make a pull-through top piece.

I must have watched a hundred videos of women doing this work on their sewing machines but it wasn't as easy as it looked!

Yes, my stylist pinned it to a dummy head to work on it but because I had once had a tint in it that supposedly had all washed out it turned it orange when she tried to lighten it. Since she had just checked a small strand the rest of the hair was salvageable to give away.

That was my biggest and most time-consuming sewing project this year and I've left it undone. Disappointed.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I sewed the hair into long rows making sure that it was all facing the naturally growing way. Then I intended to sew it onto netting to make a pull-through top piece.

I must have watched a hundred videos of women doing this work on their sewing machines but it wasn't as easy as it looked!

Yes, my stylist pinned it to a dummy head to work on it but because I had once had a tint in it that supposedly had all washed out it turned it orange when she tried to lighten it. Since she had just checked a small strand the rest of the hair was salvageable to give away.

That was my biggest and most time-consuming sewing project this year and I've left it undone. Disappointed.
What a shame, after all that ambition and hard work. Now I have to go and watch one of those videos.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:05 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Win a few, lose a few, Lodestar. It was a good idea, anyway.

My next project is a baby sweater and hat for the granddaughter. I like to have a knitting project in the winter.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:47 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I buy all my sewing goods from amazon .

I am going to be selling several new cones of A1 quality serger thread; and my beautiful Bernina 1100DA serger as well. I just don't quilt anymore like I used to or sew like I used to. I also have several nice professional quality machine embroidery thread, new all wrapped. If you know anyone with a Pfaff 2144 sewing machine, I am also selling all of the machine embroidery equipment. The embroidery arm itself, the Grand Hoop (used once), lots of high quality threads in all colors, machine embroidery thread, , all the hoops, top quality stabilizers etc., quilting bobbins. Tons of stuff. I just don't have the room for all these things anymore, they are perfectly maintained and in new condition. Contact me by direct message if you have any interest.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:33 AM

I was in NY recently and took a picture of a major work of art I saw on the subway. I hope I can get it to post here. It was both sewn and glued.

Sewing Chat Thread (Living Proof the Dying Arts Aren't Dead)-2ndavbag.jpg

OK, I tried to fix this, but no idea why it shows up sideways. The picture is not that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation