Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:37 PM

827 posts, read 658,903 times

Advertisements

Home Brewing and fireworks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbies during retirement-beer.jpg   Hobbies during retirement-beer-2.jpg   Hobbies during retirement-2015-4th-july.jpg2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 01:56 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Let's see. I'm great at starting stuff and not finishing, but that does leave a lot of stuff to choose from when I'm at loose ends.

I've been retired a long time. When I retired I took up drawing, and that was great fun. I actually wasn't too bad. Then I decided to expand into acrylic, oil, and watercolor, and was awful. Then I tried colored wax based pencil, and that was more like drawing, and I've got some things I'm not too ashamed of.

Then I went back to my schoolday thing - music. Took up my old instrument again, made some awful sounds at first, persisted, practiced, practiced, practiced, got pretty good, joined a community band, then got better, joined a community orchestra, did a lot of small group work, (quintets, trios, etc.) then joined another group, played for weddings, parties, old people, and finally my husband grumbled so much about me being out every night of the week that I scaled back and finally quit altogether. Now I'm only in one group that meets weekly during the daytime. I miss it, though. Oh well... Lately I joined a chorus and am trying to get my rusty vocal chords to behave.

Doing lots lots lots of knitting projects that I give as gifts, (people have got so they hate to see me coming with a lumpy package), lately took up a cross stitch that had sat there unfinished for decades; I might actually finish it this time. I've just started a blog - hardly anyone reads it but I don't really care; it's sort of for posterity.

I'm open to new stuff.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM

238 posts, read 617,099 times
I’m a crafty person. Since the late 90s, it’s been all glass...stained glass, glass mosaics (went thru a stepping stone phase), and lately it’s been fused glass (bowls, plates, and jewelry). Basement studio currently being updated - suffering from withdrawal...haha.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I recently saw someone paint with those new alcohol paints on glass, and it really looked beautiful. In one demonstration she turned a clear bowl upside down and ran the paint down from the middle of the bottom down the sides - it really looked great when she finished, sort of a striped effect.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1027 View Post
I have so many hobbies. Woodworking, Leatherworking, Stained glass. I like to cook, Make beer and wine. None of these hobbies interest me 100% right now and would like to hear from others what their passion for hobbies are. I am very interested in hearing what others do.
It's a funny thing. I have several hobbies/interests that stuck with me through most of my life.....quick cars, guns and marksmanship, photography, cats, science fact and science fiction and martial arts. My age and my back prevent me from doing the last any more. But for the others, all I could think about when I was working was that I resented the time I was forced to spend working rather than doing things I enjoyed. Now that I'm retired, and have all the time I need, I don't feel like doing ANYTHING any more. It actually pisses me off. The only thing I can figure is that the time urgency I had before forced me to use any spare time I had to work in one of the things I liked to do. Or maybe it was also that I needed them more then. I don't know.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quilting, knitting, any kind of needlework. All my life I've done needlework, starting with huck weaving when I was 5 or 6. These days I make handquilted, fleece-backed throws, which I sell at my little shop at a local antique mall. I don't make a lot of money but it gives me pleasure. Without something to do with my hands, I would likely just curl up and die.

I've been big, really big, on gardening all my life, but COPD and other ailments force me to limit my gardening, which I guess is OK since I now live in an apartment. Fortunately, they have let me plant a bunch of crape myrtles and ground covers. I no longer have enough air to dig many holes.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Learning a language, reading, aqua aerobics.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:34 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Voice work, narration for video training courses ( industrial or vocational ) and being a living history re-enactor.

xxx.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1027 View Post
I have so many hobbies. Woodworking, Leatherworking, Stained glass. I like to cook, Make beer and wine. None of these hobbies interest me 100% right now and would like to hear from others what their passion for hobbies are. I am very interested in hearing what others do.
I'm similar in having many hobbies, including woodworking and stained glass, also bonsai. One tool that I have which is a source of great fun (as well as additional income) is a laser engraver/cutter. Mine is large and powerful professional model and cost $16,000 when I bought it for a business I had, but now there are many more competitors including some from China and you can get them for much less, as little as $1,500 on Ebay. Great for engraving leather or wood, cutting veneer for marquetry inlays.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Knitting/crocheting, sketching, repairing fountain pens. There were more when I was younger, but the ones that made a mess (papier mache, painting, woodwork) fell by the wayside.

Even though it's fun, I'm not sure about cooking as a hobby. You gotta eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation