Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Id definitely start off with a small electronic keyboard until such time as you are sure you want to really get into the time it takes to become a classical pianist, Those large pianos are big bulky and take up a lot of space and usually cost more to move than they are actually worth, in a recent move we tried to get rid of our piano well it was hard to even give it away and we ended up paying a guy to take it away, i dont miss it one bit .=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psme4z4uku.jpg
Go to a site like Amazon or a store like Walmart and look into one of these type of instruments =
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Best-Ch...CABEgJqafD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
GET A FULL 88 KEY

I am a *former* pianist (never made it very far, traumatic head injury, certain things i can't do anymore) and if it doesn't have all the keys... it will never get used.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara7788 View Post
It is important to learn with a teacher, especially in the very beginning in order to explain you how to play in a proper way (your hands and fingers position) and to give you a grounding. To be honest, I finished a musical school and I can't imagine how to learn online. So, my advice is to find a local teacher.
As for the instrument, of course, the new one will cost much, but sometimes people sell piano when they move out or don't have a person who plays it, so it can be the instrument in a great state, but the old one. Try searching your area, maybe you have such people nearby.
i want to say that your desire to play the piano inspires! Good for you! Music is great and playing it is a great satisfaction! I wish you good luck!
I mean, there's a lot of stuff on Youtube. You're saying none of it is worth it?

I totally get that having a teacher there is an immense help, but are there any videos/video series a person like me (who wants to play) at all?

Old 12-13-2019, 04:26 AM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari73 View Post
I hope this is the right forum to post this

I want to start learning the piano because I see myself as someone spending the afternoon playing Chopin and Liszt!

Still, it will take a lot of time, effort and tears until I am able to do it. When I say tears, I mean on my neurotic side which will probably get in my way of achieving this but this must be done because if I don't then my other neurotic side will chase me for the rest of my life because I didn't even try.

Many years ago I tried a piano program on my computer. I don't remember the name, but after a quick search I did find a couple you could try.

https://www.onlinepianist.com/virtual-piano

https://virtualpiano.net/

Hopefully they can get you started.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Upright pianos are everywhere and you can't hardly give them away. Ordinary movers can move a piano just fine. If you just buy one out of someone's house you'll be taking your chances whether it will hold tune, but if you go for one of the brands that are well known for reasonable quality it's a reasonable chance to take. Or you could (maybe) pay for an hour of a piano tuner's time to evaluate it.

Personally if I were coming out of nowhere I'd by a Baldwin Acrosonic.

Electronic keyboards don't really have the same feel as a real piano, but some are pretty good. I wouldn't get one with less than full 88 keys and touch sensitivity. I suspect that an electronic keyboard/"digital piano" of suitable quality will cost more than the cost of a Baldwin upright plus moving it plus having it tuned.

Don't let someone tell you "no one wants to listen to Chopin and Liszt." If you want to play classical music go learn how to play classical music.

I think you need an in-person teacher. Online is OK for some things but to start from zero, with no background? I think you need a human. And interview themj for their experience and desire to teach adults. Some music teachers are so accustomed to children that they don't realize that adults require a somewhat different approach.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:21 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
As a previous owner of used acoustic pianos, unless you know what you are doing or can bring someone along with you who does, steer clear of anything in the $500 range. Yes, there are rare exceptions but you don’t sound like the kind of person that could detect hidden issues that will cost you big money to repair.

My advice is to buy a good condition, used Yamaha keyboard such as a P-95 or above. Find a local teacher who you feel comfortable with and have at it. I play several instruments but the piano is my favorite.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
Do you share a house with anyone? If so, for a beginner who plans to practice hours a day, please consider getting something that can be played with headphones, for the sanity and good will of those who share the house! I say this with a smile, as I’m the piano player in the house. It also gives you more freedom to know you’re not disturbing anyone watching tv or sleeping, and if you want to work on scales for a long time, you’re not self conscious about people listening.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Used pianos are fairly cheap these days. But I’d try to buy one from a trusted piano dealer. If you buy a lemon, you might have to spend more than it is worth to make it right. A dealer might have several to choose from, and you can hear differences in tone.

Take lessons from a teacher. And, yeah, you’ll have to practice.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Also, buy a simple "keyboard chart" (a strip of cardboard -- cheat sheet) that fits all the way across, behind the keys, and shows you the scale progression - how each of the 88 notes is written on the scale.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari73 View Post
I hope this is the right forum to post this

I want to start learning the piano because I see myself as someone spending the afternoon playing Chopin and Liszt!

Still, it will take a lot of time, effort and tears until I am able to do it. When I say tears, I mean on my neurotic side which will probably get in my way of achieving this but this must be done because if I don't then my other neurotic side will chase me for the rest of my life because I didn't even try.

I really feel like I should learn the piano. I always loved it and always will, regardless of my success or failure to master it in the next few years.

Even when I was a child I always admired it but my parents never wanted to sign me up for some classes.. They never thought that I maybe have some potential with it.. And maybe I dont but I really wish to try. Better late then never I always say!

Now there are two questions which come to mind:

1. How do I go about learning?
Should I search for some piano learning classes in my town or should I try online classes? I know that the online classes will be cheaper and considering that the money is tight, they sound more appealing but if they are a waste of time and money then that can set me for a failure from the start as I cant just whip out the money to pay for the classes anytime I want

2. What about the actual piano?
This is what I am mostly scared of.. I don't even know if I can afford this thing. I saw some ads about the old acoustics which are in need of repair and they are in some 500 us $ price range which I could afford. Anything above that and I will have to say goodbye to my aspirations..
While I was searching for the acoustic piano I found out that there are electric and digital pianos too.. I don't know the differences between them but I think that the digital one is more realistic. Also I saw that there are some midi keyboards but judging from what I saw, I dont think that they are good for someone wishing for a regural good ol classic piano.
The thing is, these digitals are much much cheaper that the new accoustic piano, like 10x cheaper and there are some like this one which are in my price range of about 500us.
But... Are they the real deal.. And are they any good.. These are the things that are really having me worry.. I mean I go to some chinese store and buy a plastic toy piano for kids for 15$ and it will appear as a piano but wont be anything like it..

On another hand these digitals are promising or atleast they say they are.. But acoustic is acoustic.. Should I take such a leap of faith? Or should I buy an old, used acoustic piano and invest in it to repair it?

My fears of all of this terribly failing are clouding my judgment and I hope that someone here will be able to give me some constructive help!
I wouldn't want an acoustic piano in the house.

I went digital and I love the sound or should I say noise, I can't play like a pianist but I can play music.
The thing with digital is you don't need a keyboard that produces sound, you can buy a $100 midi keyboard that only works as a trigger, the sound comes from the software which you install on your computer.
Most movie scores are done this way now.

I can't play scales and don't care, I practice piano by playing music I like , not scales.
THe computer software (I use Reaper) works like a 16 track recording station, you can record yourself, convert it to audio and burn a CD or MP3 and upload to music hosting sites such as soundcloud free.

The great advantage of going the digital route is you get more than piano, you get choirs, symphonic strings , thousands of sound effects etc.

I can't read music (neither can blind people), I learn and play by ear, its not that hard once you know the chords.

Heres an example I did completely by playing into the computer, all the sounds are software.

https://soundcloud.com/trev-and-the-...ts/shoebertmp3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation