Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,800 times

Advertisements

Looking at getting my grandson a RC car that is fun to play with in dirt, mud , street etc. But, it has to be somewhat strong as heck.. And recommendation for something in the 50 to 75 dollar range..
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,414,705 times
The cheaper you go in price, in this price range. The more likely it will break (sometimes within 5 minutes) and you wont be able to fix it, no parts available. Go up in price, go to a hobby shop, not Walmart. Get a real RC that can be repaired. You dont have to spend a lot. Spending a little more, you will have something you can use, break, repair and continue having run with it. THEY ALL BREAK. The cheap ones cant be fixed.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:20 AM

93 posts, read 63,226 times
I know this is an old thread but maybe it can help someone in the future.

I have been into RC Cars and Trucks since I was about 11 yrs. old. I'm 44 now so that’s a long time

Anyway....I have introduced a huge number of new comers to the hobby and my suggestion for a new car or truck always goes to the same company, Traxxas. You can call me a fanboy of the brand if you want but the truth is, they make some of the strongest entry level cars on the market. Once you get your feet wet you can move on to bigger and better things.

To get into the hobby you are looking at $160 for the 2WD buggy and they go up from there.

A nice truck that can pretty much go anywhere is their Stampede 2WD for right around $170. This is where I typically tell people to start. This thing will take the beating that most beginners dish out.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,800 times
https://www.amazon.com/Kid-Galaxy-Of..._dt_b_pd_title
I got my grandson thiz. Simple and is fun. So far has been reliable.
It also.is able to use any pf my power tools 20Volt batterys

Old 05-29-2019, 02:40 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Kid-Galaxy-Of..._dt_b_pd_title
I got my grandson thiz. Simple and is fun. So far has been reliable.
It also.is able to use any pf my power tools 20Volt batterys
that's a great idea. may have to pick one of these up.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 AM

19 posts, read 14,656 times
very interesting

Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
I know this is an old thread.... more than 30 years ago, I was really into RC racing. Still have my old nitro buggy hanging on the wall (hasn't been started in decades). Saved a long time to fund it... didn't have a lot of disposable cash but it kept me out of trouble (among other interests). Then.. Life got busy.

Elder son showed interest so I started doing some research. Dabbled with a used 2wd Stampede from Craigslist that needed repairs.. Even with that old one, things have progressed quite a bit in terms of accessibility into the hobby in terms of simplicity (for the youth), quality, and price ranges.

Now I am a father of three with a large age difference; 7 year old twins and a 13 year old boy.
A year later and still a very busy life, we have 5 electric cars.. all from Traxxas. Glad to say that they have a simple RTR kit for both age groups. Simple low end ones for my twins (keeps cost and time for repairs on my part low) and a much more engaging/challenging one for my elder son and I. Repairs are easy enough to demonstrate/perform.

I have the old beat up 2wd Stampede we got used a year ago (still going strong) along with a 1/16 revo VXL.
7 year old twins just had a birthday; one simple 2wd Rustler and 2wd Stampede.
Elder 13 year old son also just had a birthday; combined savings and cash gifts to buy a 4wd Slash VXL.

I'd like to someday get back into the hobby building a dirt track buggy but until life affords more time, I 2nd the previous poster's recommendation for Traxxas as a entry point into the hobby.

Looking back, I should have bought those tiny 1/18th Traxxas Latrax cars (around $120) instead of buying and replacing every year those cheaper toy grade RC cars when the kids were younger. We head out to local fields/grounds and it is fun to see all 5 cars bashing through the obstacles at the same time... a family thing... Even their mother has joined in driving mine (and crashing it into a wall..lol) Its great that the kids get their own and don't have to fight over the one car we had.

I'm seeing toy grade cars for $50 to $70 range... do yourself a favor and save a little more for a RTR from one of the well known hobby brands that can be repaired and enjoyed for longer than a season or two; Traxxas, Losi, Team Associated, HPI, etc...

Last edited by usayit; 11-26-2019 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-17-2020, 09:18 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayraySH View Post
What about rock crawlers? They go so slowly damage would be rare. The Losi MRC ($300-ish) was a great base as a strong and capable unit and cheap and easy to repair if you did suffer breakages. They're pretty easy to waterproof too, then playing in the local creek would be a ball of fun for the kids (and for grown men too, I might add. Also you may want to find some alternative on Gagadget review site
Losi MRC is a great option. I agree.

If you don't want to spend $300, a good alternative is Redcat racing Everest 10 ($160).

One thing though... my 7 year olds are more into bashing so they find a crawler a bit too slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation