Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 840,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Most of us have heard of bar-hopping. How about spending your free time mall-hopping? Not to necessarily buy anything, but to stroll around, browse stores, eat, etc. This is one thing I like to do! One mall may not always be enough, so I'll go to another on the way back home within the same area.

There's a limited amount of things I like to do, but I don't drink, dance, go to pubs/lounges, etc. I'm not really outdoorsy either & go to parks or the beach much nor go hiking, camping, water sports, skydiving, skiing, etc. I enjoy the large, modern, upscale shopping malls w/ nice landscaping & plenty of restaurants to choose from, etc., especially at opening time, preferably on a weekday when it's not crowded.

I've loved malls since I was a child. I just wondered who else does this.
Plenty of people. I went to a mall today just to see how it had changed since its Dillard's anchor became a clearance center and its JC Penney became a Curt's Premium Outlet. (It had certainly changed!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 09:19 PM

311 posts, read 200,423 times
For me the heyday of malls was the '70s through the '90s. The internet took over 90% of my shopping after 2000. But for decades it was a way of life--I even had several jobs at them. Now I'm lucky to walk through a mall even once a year.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:06 AM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
For me the heyday of malls was the '70s through the '90s. The internet took over 90% of my shopping after 2000. But for decades it was a way of life--I even had several jobs at them. Now I'm lucky to walk through a mall even once a year.
Wow, once a year, if that. I still go to the mall probably every 1-2 weeks at some point. I live across the street from a BIG outlet mall & the others in my areas are 10, 20, & 30 min away. Then, there are more about 35-40 min away. Then more 1+ hrs away. As many as that sounds that I have access to, I wish another one would open.

The variety of stores is another story, but overall, I like them. I don't care for some of these newer stores that have popped up: Box Lunch, Q, etc.
I wish I could bring others back: Borders, Second Spin, DVD Planet, Arden B, Contempo Casuals, I. Magnin, Bullocks, etc.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM

311 posts, read 200,423 times
I still go to some self standing stores, such as Kohls and Target, but malls are no longer a destination point.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:00 PM

1,517 posts, read 976,265 times
I used to go to my local all the time eons ago. These days I may call in once every couple of years or so, usually if I'm already in the area, mostly to see how it's changed from week to week. I've spent disproportionately more time riding the loop around the building than I have actually *in* the mall.

Once Westfield decided to raise rent to the point that stores were packing up and leaving about 10-15 years ago and they suddenly decided to take it in the "lifestyle center" route (i.e. make it sterile, inoffensive and millennial hipster friendly) I lost most of the little interest I still had in the place. These days there aren't really any stores there that I need to go to that I can't already find closer to home, thus no terribly compelling reason to go.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 PM

574 posts, read 377,774 times
Teenagers used to do that all the time, at least in my area. My late GF and I used to go just for the heck of it, eat a snack and maybe buy something small... she liked seeing all the clothes

Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 PM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
I haven't been in a mall in a few years. I occasionally watch Dan Bell's Dead Mall series on YouTube.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I haven't been in a mall in a few years. I occasionally watch Dan Bell's Dead Mall series on YouTube.
I've watched his videos too, but I really like this other youtuber whose channel is called Retail Archaeology who goes to dead malls. There's another youtuber called chutney bay who walks around pretty much hopping malls. I find these videos oddly intriguing.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 AM

It's now Jan 2022. I don't go to malls nearly as often since COVID started. Mainly, I don't need to buy anything really & malls have sadly lost their luster for me in a moderate way. They're still good to stroll to get some walking in when you don't want to be out in the elements.

I have bought some clothing online though since COVID in which online shopping was always fun for me too & getting those packages is exciting.

I just might go to one of the best malls I know 1 day this coming week though, just to stroll & browse a little.

How about you guys!

Old 01-08-2022, 02:44 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
Mall merchandise doesn't hold much appeal for me, but we occasionally do some mall walking when the weather is super hot. We don't ever buy anything, but often get Bourbon Chicken at the food court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation