Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 08:14 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I once had snow tires mounted at a mall tire shop, and had a couple hours to kill. I walked around the mall' I didn't go past a single store I had any interest in going inside of.

Why do malls exist?

I hope malls never die & there's always an amount of others out there who feel the same! My love of them started as a child when my Mom/parents took me. You go in & see all the lights and nice, colorful stores w/ displays carrying cool clothes & other items. When a new school year was about to start, we'd always go to this huge, upscale mall that was THE MALL back then. It's still around now...they've renovated most of it. My feeling for them never changed. I also still loved going to new malls I've never been to.

I told myself I'd go to MN for a few days just to mainly go to the Mall of America one day...& of course see other sights. I still haven't done it yet. COVID's hindered that, otherwise, I might have gone by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Pretty sure I’ve been to a Steak Express but have not seen anything for a Crab
yet. I’d stop there .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 09:18 AM

1,846 posts, read 832,803 times
Visited my local mall last week to go ice skating, but had some time to walk around before meeting some people and the place hasn't changed in the last few years. Lots of stores that were empty or stuffed with people that weren't buying anything and loads of people (mostly teenagers or people you would see at a Wal-Mart in a not so nice area) walking around with not much in there hands.
The only noticeable change was the food court that had the same restaurants for a long as I could remember. Now had three original places (Chick-Fil-A, Sonic, and a pizza place), three empty and 6 different restaurants two of which appeared to have just opened.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Most of us have heard of bar-hopping. How about spending your free time mall-hopping? Not to necessarily buy anything, but to stroll around, browse stores, eat, etc. This is one thing I like to do! One mall may not always be enough, so I'll go to another on the way back home within the same area.

There's a limited amount of things I like to do, but I don't drink, dance, go to pubs/lounges, etc. I'm not really outdoorsy either & go to parks or the beach much nor go hiking, camping, water sports, skydiving, skiing, etc. I enjoy the large, modern, upscale shopping malls w/ nice landscaping & plenty of restaurants to choose from, etc., especially at opening time, preferably on a weekday when it's not crowded.

I've loved malls since I was a child. I just wondered who else does this.
Window-shopping! Grab an ice cream cone, wander around, look at menus, glance at windows, occasionally enter a store. Maybe buy a trifle or two. I hated shopping for a purpose, too much pressure, but window-shopping is fun and relaxing.

We loved it, but since You-Know-What, we haven't gone.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 AM

Nice! So, I had started this thread BEFORE COVDI started, but had posted an update how I feel about malls since. I had said back in Jan 2022 tht I don't go to malls nearly as often. Mainly, I don't need to buy anything really & malls have sadly lost their luster for me in a moderate way. They're still good to stroll to get some walking in when you don't want to be out in the elements. I have bought some clothing online though.

I had several hrs off yesterday (Thurs., 4/14) & went to this mall I haven't been to in a long time. My excitement's diminished...prob because I've now been to the malls around here repeatedly & have nothing to buy. IF I went on a vacation & finally went to some malls I've never been to before, that would be exciting for me again.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:17 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
It is a bit difficult to avoid malls here in Sydney even if you want to. Our local Westfield has supermarkets, banks, the Service NSW mega office where you need to go to take a test for your drivers licence or register a new car, just to name a couple of things, a large cinema and all the usual collections of department stores and clothes stores, restaurants and food courts.

We get three hours free parking so that does it for me. We ended up there on Thursday with the grandkids (who are on the Easter school vacation) and it seemed every other kid in the area, with grandparents or parents in tow there too. Busiest I have seen the place since Covid hit.

I would not say I really enjoy going there but it is often a necessity.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We walked for a few weeks in our local mall during covid, before our gym reopened. Have not been back. There are car thefts, gunfire, and cat converters being stolen there. I don’t view it as a safe place. And, the stores have very little on offering for me.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:20 AM

I haven't gone to the malls in a long time, except just to the Barnes & Nobe bookstore w/i one of them a couple of times.

I avoid the malls especially the last 3 wks of Dec to avoid those heavy crowds. Maybe I'll walk around one of them during my 3-day New Year's weekend off.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:47 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
My late husband used to love going to malls. I, on the other hand, despise it. Even when we went to the Mall of America when I was on travel, I noticed that it simply contained every store that we usually saw anyway. The only unique feature was the amusement park in the center - now that was cool!

Old 12-30-2022, 10:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,986 times
No, I used to love malls but the malls (in my hometown) that I liked all closed, leaving the large, mid-market mall that I always disliked. Fortunately downtown came back to life and stores located there instead of in the mall; I prefer downtown as it’s a more pleasant place.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:59 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
I loved malls back in the day! Now retired and a grandparent, I no longer have a reason to visit a mall. The affordable malls I used to go to are no longer the same, with MY stores now closed and replaced with crap services I don't use, and the malls in Dallas, where my family live, are now all UPSCALE, LUXURY stores that I have no use or need for and wouldn't pay the prices there anyway.

"Back in the day" there was a high-end mall that I loved to go to on occasion (had a Sears as an anchor). Most of the stores were too pricey for me, and a distance away anyway. Well, I worked nearby and would go there after work sometimes. There was a non-chain jewelry store there, and a bracelet in the glass case caught my eye. It was a gold, emerald, and ruby bracelet. I loved it but it was way out of my price range. So for 2 YEARS I would go visit it. If asked if they could help me, I'd reply, "no, just visiting my bracelet". The proprietors got to know me. They finally brought the price of the bracelet down to one I could justify paying, and I now own the prized bracelet.

Do I wear it now? Not really, I am retired and single and don't have occasion to wear my "good" jewelry anymore. I did make myself wear it to a community Christmas event recently, tho, as it is the colors of Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation