Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,109 times

Advertisements

Hi, I hope this question is in the correct forum.

I need to clean an antique soapstone plate from India. The plate is unsealed, with a matte finish, and is 14" in diameter and covered in lacy filigree carving. It's a naturally dirty cream color (that sounds ugly, but it's actually a nice shade of stone), but it has some discolored areas that are greyish-tan. The discolored areas aren't part of the stone's natural coloration. I think they're deep oil stains from years of people's hands touching the plate.

I've washed the plate very gently with Ivory Liquid soap and water, but the discolored areas remain. I've also rubbed a very soft toothbrush over the surface, with no effect on the stains. I've read that hydrogen peroxide can be used safely to clean stains on soapstone but, before trying, I'd like to see if anyone has tried this method of cleaning.

Any advice or opinions are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 11:16 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
What you're describing, is known as "patina."

It's favorable to leave it as it is.

Not worth risking a chemical (or mechanical) agent, especially if it's "porous."

Have you tried Simple Orange? It is D-limonene chemistry.

But again, are you sure you want to risk further damage?

Old 12-26-2022, 02:07 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
This ^^^. I probably wouldn't attempt to clean it. Appling a soapstone oil to the entire piece might make the discolored areas less noticeable.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 732,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What you're describing, is known as "patina."

It's favorable to leave it as it is.

Not worth risking a chemical (or mechanical) agent, especially if it's "porous."

Have you tried Simple Orange? It is D-limonene chemistry.

But again, are you sure you want to risk further damage?
I'm familiar with patinas on different objects ... but the "patina" on this plate is just dirt and/or oils from people's hands, and it looks dirty and unwashed.

I'm not trying for a gleaming bright finish but just want to lighten the dinginess a bit.

I haven't tried Simple Orange yet. If it contains citric acid (or any acid), I can't use it.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:05 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I have a little soapstone box I put something greasy in about 30 years ago, which left blotchy stains. Just checked; the grease has diffused a lot, so the stains aren't so noticeable.

My takeaway: the stone is very porous, and it will probably be impossible to get the stains out.

Maybe look into stuff used to clean stone counter tops; they have similar issues.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:42 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
I'm familiar with patinas on different objects ... but the "patina" on this plate is just dirt and/or oils from people's hands, and it looks dirty and unwashed.

I'm not trying for a gleaming bright finish but just want to lighten the dinginess a bit.

I haven't tried Simple Orange yet. If it contains citric acid (or any acid), I can't use it.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
According to the Canadian version of the MSDS for Simple Orange, it may not be acidic, but it is still corrosive/caustic. Limonene is the key component of the oils in citrus peels. The product also contains caustic potash.

https://www.nypowerind.com/wp-conten...DS-English.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation