Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 04:40 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Does anyone still play Dungeons and Dragons-style roleplaying games?

My friend and I are starting a new campaign for the first time in over 20 years with his sons. One benefit of having kids old enough to talk back. Lol

I’m going to DM a Forgotten Realms-based campaign. I don’t plan to follow everything to a T. Will likely “wing” a lot of it until we really get going.

Anyone else have interesting games going?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Did you check for online sites? I doubt people stopped. I know it's still played at a local comic shop. (The same shop, different location where I bought Marvel Spotlight 5, Werewolf By Night 32, Swamp-thing and others when they were practically worthless books when I was a kid. About 1981 IIRC. I had to request them because nobody gave a damn. Especially the first appearance of Moonknight. Marvel Spotlight got hot in the early 90's)

A side note. Fantasy type games, figures, comics, anything like that can be very collectible $$$. Even modern stuff.

There are a couple comics I could have bought on Ebay that were a couple hundred bux in the early 00's that are worth thousands now. Great pre code stuff. Funny, I really do not collect this stuff.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
I was pretty heavy into RPGs until a couple of years ago, when my interest shifted more to board games. I am still semi-active on a few rpg message boards you might want to check out.

therpgsite

Dragonsfoot

rpgpub

There is another larger site that I used to belong to but I and many others were driven away by its increasingly hostile and oppressive far left political culture that has spread to most areas of the board. I won't link to it, but it's called rpgnet if you feel like searching for it yourself.

I played older versions of D&D as well as the more recent "retro-clones", which are games based on those older D&D versions, originally for the purpose of writing new supplements and adventure modules without running afoul of copyright issues, but having since evolved into a larger movement where different people and publishers produce games that are similar but altered to accomodate either the author's personal taste (i.e. house rules) or more modern developments in rpg design.

(Wow, that was a long sentence).

If you are playing with kids, one such clone I recommend is Beyond the Wall from Flatland Games. It is intended to emulate young adult fantasy like the Earthsea or Prydain novels. I especially like its character creation system where each player completes a questionnaire that, in addition to determining starting attributes and skills, creates the skeleton of a background story for the character as well as establishing bonds with other characters. It also has a better (IMO) and more evocative magic system.

I'm also a big fan of the D6 system, the rules used in the original Star Wars rpg from West End Games.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:44 AM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
No!

Old 08-20-2019, 03:14 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Yes. I'm 55 and have played since I was around 12.

Currently in two Dungeon Crawl Classics campaigns (DCC RPG) in Denver, and an AD&D 3.5 campaign (via Skype) with my old coworkers back in Maryland.

Have played a few games online using Discord, Twitch and Roll20 or FantasyGrounds. Cool way to play with people in other states (or Countries). Have to get good at time zone offsets, haha.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"Anyone else have interesting games going?"
well, yes, but C-D would not allow the post.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM

15,837 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I used to really enjoy it when I was younger. But the long commutes to find a gaming group just took a toll. Now I mostly play single-player video RPGs.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Does anyone still play Dungeons and Dragons-style roleplaying games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Did you check for online sites? I doubt people stopped.
Dungeons and Dragons is enjoying a stunning renaissance and is actually bigger than it has ever been.

People are even presenting D&D campaigns as a spectator game on Youtube channels like Critical Role which not only presents campaigns, but also interviews, recap shows, and gaming tips/instructional videos featuring professional actors (who are genuine players/fans of the game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLgITRGA30

Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I'm going to check that channel out for sure, thank you!

Last night we played for the third time. Going well so far. Part of the fun has been showing my friend's two young sons a big part of our childhood. Both are really enjoying it (as are we). I'm going to try to get my daughter involved this weekend.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2019, 09:54 AM

52 posts, read 29,386 times
I wish I could say so. The only time I played pen and paper was high school. I can still remember the attractive older girls that played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation