Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 07:11 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Also purchased Railroads ,looking forward to their arrival ,i'm thinking for $4 ya cant go wrong eh..
After reading your post, I realized that I had never installed Railroads! on my new (3 years ago now - time flies) laptop, so hadn't played it in a good while and never on Windows 10. So I installed it this morning, applied the update to version 1.1, and played for a little while to get re-acquainted. All went well until it crashed to desktop after a half hour or so. I was reminded that the game was known for some instability, but the only crashes I ever experienced on XP were with the largest of add-on maps.

After doing some searching and reading, I gather that it is more crash prone with Windows 10. But there are some fixes floating around for the steam version if you have that problem. I'm going to set it it to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Tried again after setting compatibility mode and this time played considerably longer while building much more on the map....but again ended up crashing to desktop. Seems it's not gonna work too well for me on this computer. One of the things I read is that it doesn't like onboard graphics. Don't know how much truth there may be to that.

Bottom line is I'm back to Railroad Tycoon II as my standard. May you have better luck with your steam version. And, of course, there's Railroad Tycoon 3. That one isn't temperamental like Railroads! is. I didn't have much trouble with Railroads! back in the day, but now the memories are coming back to me that many others did.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Im having trouble accessing the program, thought they were going to send me a disc but instead its an online game i'm paying for and i have no idea how to open it,i'm going through a provider called Steam

Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Im having trouble accessing the program, thought they were going to send me a disc but instead its an online game i'm paying for and i have no idea how to open it,i'm going through a provider called Steam
Sorry - can't help you with anything Steam. Honestly, I've never understood what Steam is or even why it exists (other than a revenue provider for whoever runs it). There's a lot of banter about it on the Flightsim forums as well and I've never understood that either or had any interest in it myself. I've never seen any reason to believe it has any advantage to offer me.

Here is another source for RRT3....

https://www.gog.com/game/railroad_tycoon_3

I didn't read all the fine print, but it looks to be the original game. I'd verify that it's the original CD version before buying.

This thread rekindled an interest in playing RRT3 for the first time in at least 2 years. I tried some different maps than my usual and really enjoyed it!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 AM

That link I just posted appears to be a download of the game. My gut would tell me not to trust it....because without the CD you don't have control of the game. And the original game requires the CD to play. So a downloaded version would have to be modified....and in who knows what other ways.

I'd sooner by a used CD version on Amazon, which is another option. Maybe, though, there is a new CD version available somewhere that a more extensive search might find.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:07 AM

I'm now thinking of a train layout sim game called Trainz 2019, its a 100 bucks but the preview seems to offer everything i want in the game from track laying to scenery roads and bridges to a variety of engines and rolling stock..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9k_I6ck-dk&t=1356s

Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Although it was discontinued nearly a decade ago, Signal Computer Consultants' (later Softrails's) Train Dispatcher provides the most realistic picture of day-to day operating conditions on a real-life railroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_...ter_simulation)

Better still is Track Builder, which allows you to design your own territories -- or someone with an employees' timetable could recreate any stretch of railroad. world-wide, at any time in history. Some of the best used to be available at signalcc.com. And there is a Yahoo group, Dispatch Central, (but the future of Yahoo groups is in doubt due to changes in Yahoo policy).

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...chcentral/info

The program's origins are difficult to pin down, but it was reportedly adapted from a training program offered by Westinghouse subsidiary Union Switch and Signal. A little work with a search engine might lead to a site where a copy could still be downloaded.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-13-2019 at 10:27 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 04:25 AM

I've paid $95 for something called Trainz 2019, its pictured top right https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=A...67.9lIBwx8dyRQ problem is i have no idea if they are sending me a disc or i've just blown $100 to join an online game , wheres the game?
Very confusing trying to deal with this outfit called G2A

Old 12-16-2019, 02:29 AM

Seems just getting a CD Rom of the game is near impossible and i am subjected to a quagmire of techno mumbo jumbo in having to buy a key from G2A then use it on an impossible to obtain Steam account

Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Seems just getting a CD Rom of the game is near impossible and i am subjected to a quagmire of techno mumbo jumbo in having to buy a key from G2A then use it on an impossible to obtain Steam account
It is a pretty easy process.

Create a steam account.

Follow these instructions.

https://supporthub.g2a.com/marketpla...ught-on-g2acom

Play game on steam.

Personally I would rather just buy directly from steam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation