Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

Late last year, someone posted a link to a "Build a watch" event that the AWCI was hosting in Phoenix. While it wasn't exactly inexpensive, I signed up for it.

I love watches - I think they're the perfect mechanical invention that literally is almost error-less in its execution so assembling a movement, regulating it, casing it and then, pressure testing it was very, very attractive learning process to me.

The AWCI maintains an RV especially for educational purposes. They have well over a half-million invested in this exclusively for education ie training watchmakers and introducing others to the craft.

Inside the RV, there are stations set up with state-of-the-art tools. It's tight but completely comfortable:

Some pictures from the assembly process - this is a relatively simple 6497 movement. My assigned workbench for the day. We started at 9 am and finished around 5 pm with a short break for lunch.

Yep - there's a movement in this tray!

Here are the parts that we'll use:

And, the fully assembled, tested, watch:

In our throw-away-world, this will give you an idea of the intricacies and skills involved to make a working timepiece. The AWCI team does a great job and while I have absolutely no affiliation with them, the instructors are patient, knowledgeable and enthusiastic and I highly recommend them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 12:13 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Yup, that’s pretty dang cool! As a little Watch 101 thing, I’d love to do that.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
That is really cool, mind saying what it costs? Is it just one day, do they have other classes that go on longer?

Old 01-28-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yup, that’s pretty dang cool! As a little Watch 101 thing, I’d love to do that.
Watch their site. I know they just taught a class in Dallas but it's just a matter of time before they return again. There's another organization that will guide you as you assemble a watch but, it's not yours. In fact, it's probably a movement that been torn apart and re-assembled dozens of times.

The watch we assembled is comparable to this one however, you get to select your own case, the dial of your choice, the hands and the strap.

A little expensive? Yep. But again, the education. the end product and the pride you'll get from wearing a watch you assembled is worth every penny.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That is really cool, mind saying what it costs? Is it just one day, do they have other classes that go on longer?
Here's their site along with the next several classes. We paid $1245 for ours and that seems to be the going rate.

We had 5 students and two instructors so it's a great student-teacher relationship.

I did notice that one class in Portland will be at Chris King Precision Components. Those who are into cycling will recognize this as a well-known supplier of cycling components. It's a nice tie-in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation