Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 07:38 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
oooh, that sounds lovely!
It FEELS very lovely, soft and comfy too!!

I don't have sewing machine where i live now, but it was a quick and easy project that i could sew per hand - just cut and sew the corners and use the all around finish to insert an elastic band. Made both in one evening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 6,867 times
Not sewing, but we're using diamond tucked carbon fiber on the blank panels in the van. Later and once all the panels have bene covered, we'll add a diamond tucked carbon fiber spare tire cover.

Old 12-18-2022, 03:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
I’ve been lost down a rabbit hole of vintage and antique machines during summer/fall, mainly treadle and hand cranks from around 1900. I’m finally done cleaning, shellacking and getting them to sew once again. Some were more work than others, but I found it fun like solving a puzzle.

I’m finally returning to sewing and started out with a simple rag baby quilt to see how difficult or awkward it would be to use a hand crank. It turned out to be easier than expected with wonderful control for piecing. This hand crank uses a needle feed walking foot movement instead of feed dogs and was great for sewing the three layers of the blocks.

Davis Vertical Feed hand crank, circa 1892

Old 12-19-2022, 09:21 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Wow! Exciting! I love treadles, had one in the UK and was so sorry to leave it behind when we left for the US. My friend over there had a hand crank with the handle right on the wheel, not an auxilliary crank as you show here. I suspect the auxilliary crank is an improved version of hers. I'd love to have another treadle but I suspect they are super hard to find. I felt the treadle was a great, quiet sewing machine and very controllable.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:46 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Beautiful sewing machine (and an awesome quilt!).
My mom had this kind of machine, but it was sold later on. I am using the modern, electric one, but I feel really nostalgic when I spot one. This marvelous piece was in antique shop: (Singer, I believe)

I bought two very nice goose down pillows, so, right now I am sewing a couple of pillow covers.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:49 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I just replaced the zipper in a fleece jacket...for the second time. The first time, I didn't realize the fleece would stretch sooooooo much, and wound up with a few extra inches of jacket beyond the zip, plus a wavy front. This time, I eased all the jacket into the zipper, and it looks great.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:14 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I just replaced the zipper in a fleece jacket...for the second time. The first time, I didn't realize the fleece would stretch sooooooo much, and wound up with a few extra inches of jacket beyond the zip, plus a wavy front. This time, I eased all the jacket into the zipper, and it looks great.

Always put the stretchy part on the bottom by the feed dogs - which I'm sure you know. And work from both directions to the middle.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:04 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Always put the stretchy part on the bottom by the feed dogs - which I'm sure you know. And work from both directions to the middle.
It took a bit more than that; I must have used two dozen pins on each side. I refrained from hand basting it, though!

Old 12-25-2022, 11:20 AM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Beautiful sewing machine (and an awesome quilt!).
My mom had this kind of machine, but it was sold later on. I am using the modern, electric one, but I feel really nostalgic when I spot one. This marvelous piece was in antique shop: (Singer, I believe)

Tell us about your iron collection!

Old 12-27-2022, 11:03 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
I'm not so much sewing as so-and-so'ing.

Sorry, I haven't sewn anything in many years, but I'd like to do so. Maybe in 2023...

I borrowed a DVD from the library that might get me to do something.....I have so many scraps of material saved. I was thinking I might start with ornaments or napkins and napkin rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation