Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:20 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I grew up around College Park MD and one thing I surely miss is fishing and crabbing the Chesapeake Bay. I'll be lucky if I can get out to the Pacific coast every few years for my saltwater fix.
Well what do you know, I'm a grad of Maryland, College Park. Class of '81. I was never a big fish guy on the Bay but the crabbing, now that's awesome. I like crabs to eat way more than fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
I've fished nearly all my life. Lots of small streams for trout, lakes for larger trout, love fishing for Northern Pike, grayling, whitefish, some cats in the rivers, but only a couple places here have bass.

Mostly spinning and bait, but I'll dapple a fly with my spinning rod on small streams.
Loved spearfishing in the Gulf. Haven't done a lot of saltwater.

These days I mostly fish hardwater. Don't need a boat to ice fish.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:13 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well what do you know, I'm a grad of Maryland, College Park. Class of '81. I was never a big fish guy on the Bay but the crabbing, now that's awesome. I like crabs to eat way more than fish.
My wife and I both attended Maryland. Her father was a Professor with a joint appointment in Computer Science and Mathematics. He taught from 1967-1991.

I do miss blue crabs awfully. And oysters..

Old 01-01-2022, 01:47 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I grew up around College Park MD and one thing I surely miss is fishing and crabbing the Chesapeake Bay. I'll be lucky if I can get out to the Pacific coast every few years for my saltwater fix.
Chesapeake bay rockfish out of Solomons, MD

Old 01-01-2022, 03:12 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefNotTheCops View Post
Always been a saltwater guy!
Likewise since in so. Cal coastal...go for tuna and mostly yellowtail on cattle boats. Mostly catch and release surf perch, corbina, and baby leopard sharks from shore while surffishing. Is that an Oscar in the 3rd pic on first post? Looks like it!

Old 01-01-2022, 05:32 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Likewise since in so. Cal coastal...go for tuna and mostly yellowtail on cattle boats. Mostly catch and release surf perch, corbina, and baby leopard sharks from shore while surffishing. Is that an Oscar in the 3rd pic on first post? Looks like it!
Yes. An Oscar caught in a South Florida pond. I got a few Mayan cichlids also from the same body of water.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:47 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Yes. An Oscar caught in a South Florida pond. I got a few Mayan cichlids also from the same body of water.

Sweet...I used to have those in an aquarium! Had a cool green terror and would pick out baby tilapia and baby smallmouth bass out of the feeder goldfish bin at pet store many years ago for my old fish tank.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
This will be my 5th year since full time offshore charter and private fishing specializing in chasing billfish from Ocean City, MD down the east coast and onto the Bahamas, Venezuela, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico in Cabo San Lucas. I miss it dearly and loved that my home waters off Ocean City, MD (Actually from Cape May, NJ to Hatteras, NC) has world class tuna and marlin fishing and the numbers can be on par or better then many of the exotic locations.

Not only have my health issues and age made me leave the full time part of it but the egos and competition has gotten out of hand IMO. I come from the school of putting your bites on the air, offering a nearby boat to the school of dolphin your bailing so he can have a good day too. The old school system of the majority of the boats in the fleet coming in with nice catches making the whole fleet look good (good for business), instead of the modern method of clamlipping (keeping quiet) when getting on the fish and not calling over ones dockmates so they can come in hot with their chests pumped out claiming "look how good we did today, the rest didn't catch squat". That does not do good for business overall.

I am running charters now in the coastal back bays for Striped Bass, Bluefish and Flounder on my own little center console and loving it every day. Relaxing and no pressure.

But God I hate it when I'm on the bay and the offshore fleet comes in during a good marlin bite with boats having from 5 to 20 or more white Marlin flags with some Blue Marlin flags on the riggers as well. (flags signal releases). At those moments I miss it!

Old 02-21-2022, 11:06 PM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
I've been a freshwater guy for 30+ years. I prefer the secluded lakes, ponds, and rivers. A day of fishing is better than any day of using tech.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:33 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'm not a fisherman in the family, but I love boating, so I enjoy the boat and the scenery and the family fisherman does the fishing. Mostly kokanee, an occasional salmon when they are running, and some rainbow trout. We don't like to eat stocked fish, so the trout fishing is mostly catch and release.

Wildfire smoke was so bad for so long last summer that we mostly stayed away from the lakes. Fishing is less fun when you can't breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation