Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:36 AM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times

Advertisements

@Monello,

I've always wanted to fish for Peacocks. I heard that they can grow quite large, esp in their original native countries. I'm sure they eat them there, have you tried eating them?

Catching Oscars always makes me laugh because I have been keeping freshwater fish since I was a kid. I can't believe how big and beautiful they get in Florida, etc. Also wonder if they make good table fare.

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 10:57 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
@Monello,

I've always wanted to fish for Peacocks. I heard that they can grow quite large, esp in their original native countries. I'm sure they eat them there, have you tried eating them?

Catching Oscars always makes me laugh because I have been keeping freshwater fish since I was a kid. I can't believe how big and beautiful they get in Florida, etc. Also wonder if they make good table fare.

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing
There are 15 sub species of pavone. The species that grows larger did not survive in south Florida. Just the Butterfly peacock and 1 other, smaller species are in the canal system.

You can keep 2 peacock bass a day. I think around 7 pounds is as large as they get in south Florida. I can't imagine how 1 that size would fight. The 15 inchers put up a great fight. I haven't tried eating them. I do know some who ate them.

I'm told the oscars are excellent to eat. Again I never tried them.

If you like to catch fish, you owe it to yourself to target them at least once. You won't be disappointed.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:11 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
There are 15 sub species of pavone. The species that grows larger did not survive in south Florida. Just the Butterfly peacock and 1 other, smaller species are in the canal system.

You can keep 2 peacock bass a day. I think around 7 pounds is as large as they get in south Florida. I can't imagine how 1 that size would fight. The 15 inchers put up a great fight. I haven't tried eating them. I do know some who ate them.

I'm told the oscars are excellent to eat. Again I never tried them.

If you like to catch fish, you owe it to yourself to target them at least once. You won't be disappointed.
Used to have Oscar's in my aquarium...weird fishing for and eating them. However they are everywhere in Florida and apparently tasty according to this. Would be fun fishing in some of the canals down there...

https://youtu.be/vY5MGBGtJYE

Old 11-25-2022, 08:21 PM

58 posts, read 35,483 times
Fishing . . . Want to have fun try this. So the setting is like Walmart or Kohl’s, your with someone and waiting on another person to finish shopping. Pick a spot of slow traffic, garden center or dishes would do. Have a conversation with the person your with so a shopper can hear you but not to loud to be obvious. Mention an item on sale and how you can’t understand why they haven’t sold out already, something like Hamburger meat for $0.99 cents per pound or maybe a riding mower marked down to $150 bucks, watch the person listening to your conversation rush to the items mentioned. If it happens, you caught a fish!

Old 02-16-2023, 05:42 PM

A few redfish I caught locally here in Panama City Beach.

And a picture of a mess of Chesapeake Bay beautiful swimmers. Not a recent picture!

Old 02-19-2023, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,287 times
I always went fishing with my dad as a kid, so I still love fishing now that I'm older and have my own family.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 749,061 times
I love fishing, but I'm not very good at it. Doesn't help that I don't have anyone to go with.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:54 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
I miss freshwater fishing at my favorite pond in Connecticut. The State stocked it with channel catfish. I had some good luck. My wife used to hate to see me come back home with some, because she would do the cleaning. She thought they were slimy and ugly. She's right. But I like the taste. And after being caught, they will even stay alive for you for a few hours, even if you just throw them in the shade. They have evolved with some sort of air sac.

No freshwater fishing here on Oahu.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I love fishing, but I'm not very good at it. Doesn't help that I don't have anyone to go with.
Sarasota is a great place to fish. You can go on 1 of the local party fishing boats. They will take you to the spot, lend you the needed gear, and assist with other fishing related tasks while on board.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:58 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
My favorite fishing is in small streams and brooks with bever ponds.
There is a certain stealth required to work these waters and very lite gear as well. one not on'y needs to be careful of the fish but other wild life as well.
Most of the time in these areas have so few people your not competing with others except the wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation