Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
That is NOT true! a 5.56 will pierce straight through an 8x8 landscape timber from 100'! I've done it! it puts a clean hole straight through...and you're saying it won't pierce 1' of drywall and a 2x4? Oh, and that's if you even hit the 2x4...a .22lr will pierce the 1' of drywall easily.
Thank you, I feel somewhat vindicated. I kinda' thought so, but wasn't absolutely sure.

I've shot my AR through a 4x4 piece of lumber and a few abandoned cars. You're right it made a clean hole through the lumber as if someone took a drill to it.

What really amazed me is what that 7.65 Mauser did when I shot that piece of 1/2 inch plate steel with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:57 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
It can shoot both.
Are all AR-15's capable of shooting both?

Also are there practice loads vs home defense loads? I have practice loads for my handguns, but HP for protection.

Last edited by reubenray; 12-11-2020 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 09:36 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are all AR-15's capable of shooting both?
If it is 5.56 caliber, it can.

You have to realize that you can have an AR15 in other calibers. But, most think of 5.56/.223 when they think of AR15

Old 12-11-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Also are there practice loads vs home defense loads? I have practice loads for my handguns, but HP for protection.
I think you added that after I quoted your other post.

Yes, it would get too expensive to shoot many of the defensive loads. It would be like going to the range and shooting only JHP rounds for target practice in a handgun. So, yes... you typically use something different for just having fun at the range...

Usually, you zero the AR, and then finetune the zero for your choice of defensive round. Usually, the zero for the practice rounds is pretty close, if not the same. But, I have had some defensive rounds really be off... Even to the side sometimes.

Each gun can prefer certain brands of defensive rounds. But, the same goes for handguns. Besides functioning 100%, when I choose a JHP for a handgun, I look at POA/POI. It CAN vary with certain brands and certain guns.

Now, it is easier to change the zero on a rifle with an optic than it is to change sights on a handgun

Old 12-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think you added that after I quoted your other post.

Yes, it would get too expensive to shoot many of the defensive loads. It would be like going to the range and shooting only JHP rounds for target practice in a handgun. So, yes... you typically use something different for just having fun at the range...

Usually, you zero the AR, and then finetune the zero for your choice of defensive round. Usually, the zero for the practice rounds is pretty close, if not the same. But, I have had some defensive rounds really be off... Even to the side sometimes.

Each gun can prefer certain brands of defensive rounds. But, the same goes for handguns. Besides functioning 100%, when I choose a JHP for a handgun, I look at POA/POI. It CAN vary with certain brands and certain guns.

Now, it is easier to change the zero on a rifle with an optic than it is to change sights on a handgun
How would I be able to identify practice loads vs defensive loads?

Old 12-11-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
If it is 5.56 caliber, it can.

You have to realize that you can have an AR15 in other calibers. But, most think of 5.56/.223 when they think of AR15
Thanks - so it would make more sense to get a 5.56 AR-15 where I could shoot either .223 or 5.56.

The mud is starting to clear up some now.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
I am wanting to get some type of AR for family protection and I know nothing about them. I started looking at AR-15 when I came across AR-10 so this confused me even more. So what are the differences? Also any particular brands that are better than others?

From buying ammo for my handguns I am very aware of an ammo shortage. It makes no sense to get an AR-? if I cannot get ammo for it. It appears that 5.56 is the most popular caliber. What other calibers are out there for personal protection that may be more available.
I haven't carried either for war or a civilian role, as in day-to-day. I've trained extensively in a weekend warrior sort of fashion. So I'd listen to those who've carried them for more in-depth comments, in addition to mine.

The AR-10 is a heavier duty platform, for bigger cartridges. Look it up, "I think" Eugene Stoner's design was around the 7.62x51 NATO round, whereas the AR-15 was around the 223 Rem. Big difference, pun intended, between A and B.

These days calibers for each platform vary somewhat, sixty years or so later. AR-15 style may be 223 Rem, or tons of others about that size like 5.56 NATO, 222 Rem, 224 Valkyrie, and many more. I have one in 300 AAC Blackout, a cartridge with about (or perhaps "exactly") same overall length as 223 Rem. It seems reliable, that's another story.

As for brands, there are a couple good graphics out there that rank out the brands by quality. How believable that is, who knows. I have a Daniel Defense 300 AAC Blk, and a Palmetto State Arms 223 with "the Jack" lower. The latter are economical brands. If I shot all day, every day, I'd fuss closely about metallurgy and such. The DD is nicer in the details, that's for sure. Take as you will. I like that the PSA was competitively priced and seems to be lots for what you pay.

300 AAC Blk is rare due to the shortage in super- and subsonic. Prices are not going down, rather the opposite. Not sure when that will change. I bought a modest amount back in mid-2020 but it was already too late. I think it's a nifty caliber, as subsonic is interesting. Super- packs a modest thump, that's the point: choose your own outcomes! A bit specialized, but a success to match the 7.63x39 Soviet round plus add more versatility for different missions.

There will probably always be Eastern Bloc rifles to be picked up cheap, and I did see a pallet of 5.45x45 Soviet ammo at my local store recently. All hail the AK-74, if that's your thing. If I "needed" a rifle, all else being equal these days, I'd check the nicer brands around that round. If some of those even exist anymore, I know not. There is a massive subculture around Eastern Bloc weapons, I'm on thin ice as none appeal to me personally.

223 availability, don't know about. I have lots of 55gr from prior years. That which I "want," 62gr and heavier, seems almost non-existent. I've hung up my spurs as shortages might continue through FY21. No shooting sports until, I'll focus on my other hobbies.

Oddly, though outside the bounds of your question, I didn't have trouble getting 32 ACP. Bought a thousand rounds about eight months ago, more than enough to keep me going awhile for plinking. Think I'll lookup what another thousand might cost me...not the most useful round ever, let's be honest, though as a friend used to say: "When you think so-and-so caliber is weak or useless, let me by all means plug you with one. You may change your tune."

Guess you're a day late and a dollar short, though if you want to go all-in by all means get what you need, and pay the price.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:36 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Correct. An .223 round WILL penetrate a wall or two, but much less than any handgun will... And, you can even go with the VMAX rounds to fragment even more with indoor walls and such.... Of course, good luck finding any of that ammo right now...

If it didn't penetrate ANY walls, then it wouldn't be a very good weapon.

I like 5.7x28mm for indoor defense. Especially in an apartment. It will go thru 1 wall, but a second wall stops it almost most of the time.
Too bad your child was asleep in bed on the other side of that wall, and is now dead. Always be aware of your target. A shotgun is a better inside the home defense weapon than a pistol or rifle. Probably a better choice overall, since very few people breaking into your house, or wishing to do harm will be armed with anything other than a handgun.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Too bad your child was asleep in bed on the other side of that wall, and is now dead. Always be aware of your target. A shotgun is a better inside the home defense weapon than a pistol or rifle. Probably a better choice overall, since very few people breaking into your house, or wishing to do harm will be armed with anything other than a handgun.
You are dreaming if you do not think buckshot isn't going thru walls as well. Any decent self defense weapon will go thru some walls inside. There is no magic formula.

You have an unrealistic view of a shotgun. Wow...

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...e-box-o-truth/

Old 12-11-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
How would I be able to identify practice loads vs defensive loads?
Well, different ARs have different twist rates in the barrel. Depending on the twist rate, you will choose a heavier or lighter round. You can google the 2 or 3 twist rates in most Ars, and then find what twist rate prefers what.

I usually found 55gr rounds to use for target practice...

For defensive use, I used .223 62gr Federal Fusion rounds. .223 Vmax rounds are pretty good. Winchester makes some .223 defensive rounds... I cannot remember what they are called, but they come in a black box. They were really off in my SCAR 16S I had at the time.

Honestly, finding quality ammo is very, very difficult right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation