Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 09:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times

Advertisements

Where I used to live, there was a large regional park where one of the parking lots, which also had a public restroom, would have 5 to 15 vehicles on average, each with one man inside, in midafternoon on weekdays.

It turned out that it was a meeting place for trysts on the downlow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:48 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
I eat lunch in my car all the time in a park. Nice scenery, garbage cans nearby, and out of the office. Why would I stay in my car? I hate eating outside because of insects trying to get a bite of my meal. Plus got to listen to music while doing so.

I do tend to be anti-social, so I would park really far away from other cars, try to find an isolated area to park in.

One day, I was at a park eating lunch in my car. Some guy comes out of the woods without a shirt on and starts walking towards my vehicle. (it was a pretty far walk from woods to where I was) Guy is staring right at me as he is walking so it is obvious he was going to approach me. When he got within 10 feet I drove off. There was no one else around. My gut told me to get out of there, he looked kind of menacing. Part of me wonders if he thought I was someone he was supposed to meet in the park for a quicky?

Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
I don't know why anyone would find it strange to see someone sitting in their car at a park. I used to routinely park my car in a park that overlooked a beautiful scene of mountains and woods and just decompress. It was a perfect spot to pray, think, unwind and just.....be. My situation at home was chaotic at the time and it was a perfect getaway.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
On many Sunday mornings, I do some early food shopping and then stop by a bagel place to get a sandwich.

I then drive to the local town park, pull into a shady parking spot, and eat my breakfast sandwich while enjoying the peacefulness, scenery, and fresh air.

Very enjoyable for me. Then it's back to reality and the honey-do list at home.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:13 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
That, and being as the vast majority of serial killers are male, there are some who are probably scoping out victims while sitting in their vehicle.
If I were you, I'd change up my routine. Better yet, take pictures (don't forget the license plate) and give them to local law enforcement for when something happens.

It's either that or they're having a bite to eat while listening to the radio.
LOL that seemed to be what the OP was getting at - surely these people are doing something nefarious. I would love to see the reaction of law enforcement when they go to them with the fact that "someone was sitting in their car at the park for a long time". Maybe an officer would be dispatched to be certain everyone is safe.

People worry about strange things sometimes.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:43 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
LOL that seemed to be what the OP was getting at - surely these people are doing something nefarious. I would love to see the reaction of law enforcement when they go to them with the fact that "someone was sitting in their car at the park for a long time". Maybe an officer would be dispatched to be certain everyone is safe.

People worry about strange things sometimes.
I like the posters who then claim they're probably there looking for gay trysts. I know that stuff happens at parks. Personally, as long as they're not bothering me or doing things in public, I don't care.

Now, which is it - gay 'good' or gay 'bad'?

Old 01-26-2021, 08:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Laugh all you like, but unfortunately there ARE sick, evil people in the world -- predators -- and unfortunately women alone DO have to be aware and "worry."

Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 AM

745 posts, read 480,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is it a park with free WiFi?

It's true that some are on their lunch hours and just have time to eat, but even then, they could GET OUT OF THE CAR and enjoy the air and sun as well as the scenery while they eat.

People just sitting in their cars watching people where others are recreating kind of creep me out a little.
If it creeps you out, maybe you are a little too paranoid.

I believe the reason many might just sit in the car is simply because it is more comfortable than sitting on a hard park bench and the car gives them a feeling of security, similar to when kids make a blanket fort in their living room.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Laugh all you like, but unfortunately there ARE sick, evil people in the world -- predators -- and unfortunately women alone DO have to be aware and "worry."
I agree - at any given time in America, there are 25 to 50 serial killers roaming America. Not to mention the thousands of opportunists, career violent criminals and lurker predators.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 AM

922 posts, read 791,693 times
We have a park with a nice lake at the south end of town, actually across the street from the Walmart (it's a small town.) My husband and I will often get a burger and sit in our truck and eat while watching the geese, ducks, loons, herons, seagulls and martins. It is often windy and cold, but we still enjoy the view.

Sometimes we will just drive around the lake when out running errands. It's a nice, calming break. There are often folks sitting in there cars enjoying the park the same way we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation