U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:20 PM

2,553 posts, read 918,148 times

Advertisements

My brother had a wood-burning kit, a.k.a., "why not try and brand your younger sibling?" kit. Not that he ever did so, but the threat was made at least once, lol.

Other things...playing with cardboard boxes in which large appliances came, which seems harmless enough until I recall that Mom gave her offspring a steak knife to cut windows and doors into the boxes. Mom figured that with one knife between the three of us, fun with boxes was less likely to turn deadly.

We kids also played with mercury, although Mom would put it into a styrofoam meat tray and let us push it around with a small knitting needle rather than touch it with our hands. Neat stuff, quicksilver.

While not toys per se, my brother used to build go-karts (one was made from the carcass of an old lawn tractor) and we'd go careening down our hill with nary a care about stopping at the end of the street and into the creek. He also built a tree house that I once fell out of and hit the ground so hard the wind was knocked out of me. I didn't complain too much once I'd recovered my breath because I knew that if I acted like too much of a baby, I'd never again be invited into the treehouse.

We also made redneck slip and slides (black plastic sheeting with a sprinkler near the top) in our back yard with the end of the slide ending about ten feet before the bank of the creek. We'd also sled down that same hill in the wintertime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 10:42 PM

468 posts, read 246,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Back in the 60s we would empty out the powder from several firecrackers, pack it tightly into a six inch piece of cardboard tube from a clothes hanger, seal the ends with newspaper and candle wax and voila', a mini stick of dynamite.

Good times!

I'm glad we weren't that innovative!

Old 03-10-2021, 07:39 AM

7,078 posts, read 3,522,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I only had the pot holder loom that came with fabric loops, lol.
I had that too. My poor Mom had more pot holders than she could fit into the kitchen drawers. I suspect that eventually she secretly started getting rid of them in the trash. Even Goodwill wouldn't have wanted them!

Old 03-10-2021, 07:56 AM

5,990 posts, read 2,828,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The most dangerous toy must be Mr. Potato Head because it's been removed from the market. It's being replaced by Potato Head, certainly a less dangerous and harmful toy involving potatoes.
politically dangerous, perhaps, resulting in a gender bias-free rebranding.

And no potatoes have been harmed by that toy for decades; it comes with a plastic potato.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM

8,429 posts, read 4,839,400 times
Yeah, nothing like finding a rotten potato in your toy box.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,424,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Jarts lawn darts were a blast. We loved them as kids.
Loved Jarts!

Old 03-10-2021, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 47,989 times
I had a skateboard that was large, something like the modern skeleton. You laid on your stomach, face first and went down streets or sidewalks. It was fun but if you hit a bump or a rock, you flew off, face first. I have a large scar right under my chin from a rather unfortunate encounter with a sidewalk section that was raised several inches above its neighbor.

And not a toy but a game. Crack the whip. Where you grabbed other kids wrist in a big long train and ran around in circles and figure 8's until someone lost their grip and flew. I broke my arm playing that on the blacktop at school.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:17 AM

16,182 posts, read 24,845,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I can't remember the name of thing to save my life, but you put a plastic ring around one ankle and it had a cord with a heavy something on the other end and you sort of hula hooped it with one foot while hopping over the cord with the other. Good exercise until I missed the over part and it wrapped around both ankles, hit one with the heavy thing and landed me like a felled tree on the concrete. Does anyone remember that thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Skip-it was what I remember it as in the 90’s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Footsie. Apparently, it has come back as skip it or skip ball but is more lightweight and "safe."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Skip-it was what I remember it as in the 90’s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
It was called a "Jingle Jump" and I loved mine; used to run up and down the street with it. Always had scabby knees to show for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJuVGb3xiM

The footsie is the original from what I remember, all the others like skip it and the lemon were knock offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Cap guns were awesome too. Loved the smell. Do they have those anymore?

Very hard to find. Someone linked to 5 Below but I've never seen them in the 2 stores near my house. Too dangerous because people used to blow it off in someone's ear lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m 61. I had a car seat that was basically meant to restrain me, so I wouldn’t go flying through the window. Except, the whole blessed thing was made out of metal. Back when metal was really metal. It was like Maggie Simpson’s, I had a little steering wheel that could beep beep — made out of metal. If my mother had had an accident in that thing I would’ve been killed. Period.
I'm a few years younger then you, I didn't have a car seat after I was an infant. I would have been a rag doll had they crashed. I don't know which would have been worst, car seat or no car seat. She did drive a big station wagon though.

The earliest car seat I remember is from 85 when I had my son. It was rolled metal and pretty heavy.

Quote:
They were cool, with the little plumes of smoke. I can almost conjure the smell! I don’t know if they still sell them. What they do still sell in a candy store on the boardwalk down here, which surprised me a lot, are candy cigarettes. Same box with cowboy on it, same pink/red end to look like real cigarettes! Whenever I see them I think “who would buy these for a kid today?”’ It’s probably more nostalgic adults. They also still have the wax candy lips and mustaches, the candy dots on paper, and the little wax bottles filled with colored liquid sugar.
5 below at my Walmart sells all that. I'm a sucker for candy buttons. They don't have zots though, pop rocks yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mom didn’t want us to have access to sweets, not to mention having to buy more easy bake mixes. Easy Bake oven was a big nope in our house.

A friend of mine got one though, and we did make some thing and then eat it and, I really wasn’t missing out on anything. Those mixes were terrible.

I wasn't allowed to have one either so at 6 or 7 I decided I was old enough to use the real oven. I baked a real cake lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I had the Thingmaker, the molds were aluminum if I remember. Holds heat real well and you can’t tell it’s still hot. I also had plastic models that used cement that would get you high from the fumes, no doubt caused cancer too. I got a GI Joe Jeep and cannon one Christmas. The cannon launched a hard plastic missile with a pretty stout spring. Put one through a window and across the street. We also played with propeller driven cars that were fueled with some kind of two stroke gas. You were supposed to attach it to a cord and have it circle you in a parking lot. Na, we would start that sucker up and send it down the street. Quite loud and dangerous as hell with that prop spinning like a knife at 5000 rpm. Those things were fast too. Had the usual sling shots to shoot ball bearings and glass marbles. You could buy plastic straws and a bag of dried peas to shoot each other. BB guns, I walked in the 5 n dime store, by myself, and bought one at 10 years old, guy gave me a tube of bbs for free. I remember shooting a cork pop gun at the local carnival for packs of cigarettes. I was just 11 years old, all the packs I won, I’d take them home to my grandma who smoked. But back in those days, they didn’t care. And of course, fireworks. Bottle rockets, Roman candles, firecrackers, lady fingers, jumping jacks, m80’s. They didn’t have firework stands, you bought them at the drugstore, all summer long! I had fun as a kid in the 60’s and 70’s and I didn’t die. I got hurt but so what, we were little troopers. Just get up and continue on. Just had to be home when the street lights came on.

You're right, they sold cigarettes to minors back then with no problem because I was smoking at that age. I used to say it was for my mother.

Quote:
Maybe but I don't remember them. No pink on the end to imitate the lit cigarette? We used to pretend to smoke them, like we were sophisticated or something. Talk about brainwashing! It wouldn't surprise me if Philip Morris didn't own the candy company that made them!
Yes, the ones in the 70's had the red/orange tip to make it look like a lit cigarette, some even puffed smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I had a pair of glass klack klack balls on a string, about 1969/70. I think there were a few injuries with them.
Loved my klick klacks too, no clue what happened to mine. Also loved the wizzer top from back then that you did tricks with. I believe I still have a wizzer in the basement. The wizzer could be dangerous too because the tip got burning hot when you "wound it up" to use it.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:49 PM

2,049 posts, read 932,594 times
I wish I didn't watch that Jingle Jump commercial. Not only am I so old that I had one... but, I'm so old, I forgot I had one 'til I saw the commercial. And, I don't recall the name at all. Oh, bloody boo...

Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM

33,944 posts, read 22,650,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The footsie is the original from what I remember, all the others like skip it and the lemon were knock offs.

Very hard to find. Someone linked to 5 Below but I've never seen them in the 2 stores near my house. Too dangerous because people used to blow it off in someone's ear lol

I'm a few years younger then you, I didn't have a car seat after I was an infant. I would have been a rag doll had they crashed. I don't know which would have been worst, car seat or no car seat. She did drive a big station wagon though.

The earliest car seat I remember is from 85 when I had my son. It was rolled metal and pretty heavy.

5 below at my Walmart sells all that. I'm a sucker for candy buttons. They don't have zots though, pop rocks yes.

I wasn't allowed to have one either so at 6 or 7 I decided I was old enough to use the real oven. I baked a real cake lol

You're right, they sold cigarettes to minors back then with no problem because I was smoking at that age. I used to say it was for my mother.

Yes, the ones in the 70's had the red/orange tip to make it look like a lit cigarette, some even puffed smoke.

Loved my klick klacks too, no clue what happened to mine. Also loved the wizzer top from back then that you did tricks with. I believe I still have a wizzer in the basement. The wizzer could be dangerous too because the tip got burning hot when you "wound it up" to use it.
If you remember when every mall had a "Chinese" store, I used to love the candy with the rice paper wrapper that you could eat. My mom took me there whenever we went to the mall (then at later ages I went with friends for the merchandise they sold behind the beaded curtain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation