Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 09:24 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times

Advertisements

Asked by a gal who was never into Daisy Dukes.

Is it possible? Do you sew the hem before making the cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 11:29 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
First, I would match the thread color exactly, then I would set my machine stitch length to match the other stitches. I would cut them off first, leaving enough fabric to turn under.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First, I would match the thread color exactly, then I would set my machine stitch length to match the other stitches. I would cut them off first, leaving enough fabric to turn under.
Well, that's a start.....turning the fabric under for that is something I did not know. I am quite the babe in the woods here on these matters.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
???

Sewing a hem is a basic sewing skill, about a step up from repairing a simple tear in fabric. If you don't want to bother and the clothing will get light use, there are iron-on hem tapes and such. It seems like a strange question for you to ask, given your many posts in the self-preparedness forum. There are sewing shows and youtube videos galore on it. If you are going to learn to hem, look at how to make rolled cuffs as well. The techniques are similar and if you can make a neat rolled cuff you'll make nice hems... then again, you might want blind stitched hems... Nah, not on a ranch. The snakes wouldn't appreciate the extra effort.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:08 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that's a start.....turning the fabric under for that is something I did not know.
Haven't you ever examined garments you already own? Pants? Shirts? Jackets? Sweats? Vests? Almost all of them will have hems on sleeves, pant legs, or the main body to keep the fabric from unraveling. Take a look at how their hems are made. Do something similar. Heck, you don't even need needle or thread to create a hem. Cut the fabric a bit longer than you want the finished garment to be, fold the excess fabric so the excess is on the inside, and glue it to itself! There are permanent glues for just this purpose available at any notions/craft/fabric store.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2023 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-22-2023, 11:54 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
With jeans, you can hem them or not, depending on preference. Unhemmed jeans get a little raggedy, but won't fall apart quickly.

Hems will look neater, and the pants will last a little longer.

Cut the pants about an inch or so longer than you want them to be. Fold 1/2" of the raw edge to the back, then fold again. Hand or machine sew along the inner fold.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:49 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Use hemming tape. No sewing skills required assuming that you have an iron...

https://www.amazon.com/HeatnBond-Iro...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Otherwise there are plenty tutorials on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that's a start.....turning the fabric under for that is something I did not know. I am quite the babe in the woods here on these matters.
Seriously?
Do you know basic sewing? Do you know what's a needle and thread?

Old 03-24-2023, 10:10 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Folding under twice is the basics, but the seams are quite thick on real denim, so you want to notch the seam allowance on the inside seam at each fold and press the seam pieces in opposite directions to reduce bulk when rolled over twice (triple thick).

The outside, flat felled hem I often flatten somewhat with a hammer in order to get it under the presser foot.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:23 AM

3,103 posts, read 998,889 times
Another tip, this is my idea, it might sound crazy but for a perfectionist it might not...

After you're done with the hem, take your pumice stone for exfoliating feet and distress the hem a little, so it looks 'natural', like used fabric. Just a little. Here is an image of the stone I'm talking about, see the link. Or, you can just use a real brick, you know...for building walls. ....I told you it might sound crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Pumic...f=asc_df_B08FM

Old 03-28-2023, 02:11 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Folding under twice is the basics, but the seams are quite thick on real denim, so you want to notch the seam allowance on the inside seam at each fold and press the seam pieces in opposite directions to reduce bulk when rolled over twice (triple thick).
That's what I would think would be the biggest obstacle here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The outside, flat felled hem I often flatten somewhat with a hammer in order to get it under the presser foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Another tip, this is my idea, it might sound crazy but for a perfectionist it might not...

After you're done with the hem, take your pumice stone for exfoliating feet and distress the hem a little, so it looks 'natural', like used fabric. Just a little. Here is an image of the stone I'm talking about, see the link. Or, you can just use a real brick, you know...for building walls. ....I told you it might sound crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Pumic...f=asc_df_B08FM
Good tips! Farm108, if it helped it to match, I would definitely do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation