Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 06:47 AM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

When many of you are over at a family member or friend's house, what do you actually DO other than any last cooking (and I do mean just a bit IF any at all) and of course, eating?

It's been just my mom, fiance', & I the last several holidays, so we just have good conversation & watch TV, which is pretty much how it's always been (if I didn't go out of town, was at a theme park, etc. that year). No games or anything. If it's Christmas Day, the other extra thing we do is watch each other open cards & gifts.

How about you guys?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-24-2022 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 10:30 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Today, walk the fenceline to make sure no trees blew down on the fence with the last windstorm and to exercise the dogs. We'll spend about an hour splitting firewood. The snow has already been cleared off the sidewalk and driveways but it looks like it is going to snow some more, so there might be some more snow clearing. Then watch TV, visit, cook, eat. Watch football.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:38 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Cook, eat, talk and play games.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:41 AM

11,473 posts, read 5,995,398 times
I slum it, and I am eternally thankful for the time and opportunity.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless everyone.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:22 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
What I USED to do, back in the 1970s, was go to work at the movie theatre and watch all the shell-shocked dysfunctional families come in to a place where talking wasn't allowed and they could have a common experience that didn't lead to arguments. It actually was fun, and felt productive.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:20 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I used to go to the home of whichever relative was having Thanksgiving dinner and we'd all talk, eat, talk some more. It was wonderful.

As I got older and there were fewer of us, some of us would make plans to get together. We'd do a sort of potluck with someone baking the pies, someone making the turkey, etc.

This year I was supposed to go to a dinner at our senior center but it turns out I'm sick and am on antibiotics so it's stay home day for me. But a few minutes ago the doorbell rang and it was two people from the senior center delivering a nice Thanksgiving meal! So it's a quiet day here and I did take a short walk with the dog, ran into two people out for walks, and exchanged "Happy Thanksgiving" wishes with them. It's whatever you make of it and you try to find things to be thankful for. There's always something.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:42 PM

230 posts, read 165,278 times
Talk and often play games.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Eat, watch tv, talk, drink.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:51 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
In the distant past, our family would catch up with visiting relatives, prepare and share the usual feast, maybe take walks with the dogs, listen to music, talk, maybe play a board game, etc. The TV was usually off; the only relative who normally had much interest was my maternal grandfather. He'd be perfectly friendly, social and involved for a while, but eventually retreat to the den to watch a game. The rest of us weren't sports or TV addicts. During my years working at various agency field stations, sometimes I'd work holidays so co-workers with families could spend the day with them. Something nice to do for someone that created its own little internal glow. The offices might be closed, but the land wasn't. It's always possible some visitor will get themselves into trouble out there. Most of the time little to nothing happened, but I can recall one or two situations that might have turned out much worse than they did. Those holidays happen to fall in winter, my favorite season. I've spent many beautifully quiet, solitary, introspective holidays with nature and the wild things.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-24-2022 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-24-2022, 02:52 PM

76 posts, read 50,086 times
We reflect on the meaning of the day. its origin and special meaning.

Today I give sincere thanks for being born into the greatest nation on earth. More I count my blessings, monetary and intrinsic in terms of health, friends, and family. I thank each generation of my American heritage for their sacrifices. especially those who fought and fell in the Revolutionary war. Indian wars and other. modern conflicts. I thank my fallen comrades for the sacrifice they made so my children could live free. And I pray to the providential hand that guided this nation and gave birth to a concrete manifestation of a non-monarchial form of Government and the strong character of George Washington who resisted calls to be King.

Today we celebrate with family the many blessings of this great nation and give thanks for the blessings of liberty.

Last edited by PossumMan; 11-24-2022 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation