Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times

Advertisements

I have this thing about needing to have a trash can in each room, like anywhere I sit, I want a trash can there. Of course you can't find pretty ones and when you do, they are SO expensive.

Well I decided to decoupage my cheap ones. For my daughter I took napkins that are from the birthday party collection for Hannah Montana. I also used some stickers from the collection. It turned out pretty cute.

In my living room I used some oriental fabric to match what is in here. I also did a planter that I used to use in my front porch but I put the fronts of greeting cards on it and sticker that are a fruit theme and Italian advertising poster theme.

They are turning out pretty well.

The problem I have with it is that I have a hard time doing random, depending on what your putting on the item you might have to do it that way. The fabric is just wrapped around but the napkins I had to do in a random fashion. Of course I also hate getting my hands mucky but you sort of can't avoid that.

I have been using those foam paint brushes so I can throw them away once I'm done. With the stuff I have done with paper products, I have put the Modge Podge OVER the paper as well as using it to glue on. With the fabric I don't think I need to do that except on the seam where the fabric meets.

I think I might do one for my neighbor, she has been a good friend to me and my daughter. I don't have alot of money and this is something I could do pretty cheaply but it end up looking really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Your friends will be thrilled. People always love it when you make them somethng just for them. I used to do a ton of that when I worked and did office gifts. I did a lot of flowery stuff on boxes and baskets and whatevers . Other peeps loved it. Im not into that flowery stuff for myself. I kinda miss doing it tho.

Dont forget wrapping paper and wall paper and gift bags and flower catalogs and childrens books. Once you start looking you will see possible stuff everywhere. I liked to cut out individual flowers etc and do layered groupings on a plain background.

Another good cut out is those fabric panels that have a doll or a bear that you cut out and stuff. Wide border prints are good too. Also wallpaper borders. Some of the wide ones with the embossing are pretty spiffy. And theyre preglued.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I think it's a great idea too. I used to love stenciling but craft stuff just seems so expensive nowadays! My daughter has the creative gene too. Every year for her anniversary with her b/f , birthdays, Christmas, etc.. she makes something for everyone. Good kid.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I was watching Martha Stewart today and thought it might be cool to use some of my stamps to create my ow patterned paper to decoupage with as well. Maybe even put wrapping paper on first and then stamp onto Velum and decoupage that over the wrapping paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation