Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 AM

311 posts, read 693,904 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have any exp in panning or dry prospecting gold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,104 times
Nope, but I've always wanted to try it! Hope you get a few bites so I can learn more!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
Nope, but I've always wanted to try it! Hope you get a few bites so I can learn more!
I haven't had much experience in panning, though I've done just a little. I haven't really found anything yet, though. As for dry prospecting, I have no experience. I did camp out once at a place in the desert where there was some dry prospecting going on, but didn't try it myself. I also wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Why yes I do! I use one of those 14 inch green plastic pans. When you get the pan.Take a scouring pad and wipe the inside of the pan all around until the shiney surface of the pan is now a dull green. This is because the pan with the shiney surface will let the small particles of gold slide on out and you will lose it.
As for dry panning. Go online and check out gold panning. It's very dusty and such. I take a few 5 gallon buckets of water (with lids!) and one of those square plastic troughs for mixing cement in. You can get one of those from stores like Home Depo. I use one of these instead of trying to dry pan somewheres.
I have a small black pan about 8 or 9 inches across. It will pack well or for carrying. I can check out good looking spots and then move my set up there when I make a good find.
Do alittle research on panning and looking for gold. There are still mineral claims held by people and different rules for looking for gold on Federal,State,Public lands. So check them out also.
I will tell you right off. IF you do find a spot that your getting good gold. DON'T tell anyone, research the area for claims or regulations for it. Proceed as you think fit.
I have never found real good spots. I have found gold almost every time I went out looking for it. But, you will have a neat hobby,familys can all do and you get outdoors. And find some "color".
Any semi wood worker can make tools and contraptions that the gold miners and searchers of the past made and used. At a fraction of the cost of the stuff sold today.
In the winter time I research new spots to hunt for it. Almost every state has gold some even have public spots that you can find it.
I also find a great show on the travel channel called Cash and Treasures. She goes all over looking for and finding precious stones,minerals etc. Alot is in the U.S. We do have alot of places here in America that you can go to find goodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation