Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,465 times

Advertisements

Looking back at your life; what is the single thing that you consider to be craziest, bizarre, incredible, most amazing thing you've ever done? (It can be anything)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Just waking up each morning with a heartbeat and moving bowels seems fine to me.
How does bear wrestling sound or bungee jumping from a helicopter sound?
My favorite is scuba diving with sharks, we chum the water for 10 miles then come to a stop. A raffle on how long it takes for the sharks to appear, then jump in and dive with them. The really big ones take a extra hour to show up, the little ones run off then. You come out of the water screaming with adrenalin.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Looking back at your life; what is the single thing that you consider to be craziest, bizarre, incredible, most amazing thing you've ever done? (It can be anything)

I've set my hand on fire with lighter fluid in such a way that I did not burn myself.

Not sure if that was the craziest thing, or "trying to duplicate the feat and failing" was the craziest.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I rode a freight train from Abilene, TX to Odessa, TX and back when I was in high school. It was the idea of Jeff, a friend of mine whom my mother insists to this day, is probably in prison. My best friend Michelle went with us. This was in 1964.

It was a crazy thing to do but we were kids and didn't think anything would ever hurt us. I waited until I was in my 30s to tell my mother about it.

Michelle is now an RN is Oklahoma City and Jeff recently retired as a pilot for American. Me, well, I retired after 37 years with Civil Service a couple of years ago. So far, none of us have been in prison and we did have an excellent adventure.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:55 AM

261 posts, read 944,149 times
Smile Not enough time to list all, but here's one..

When I was 19, I lived in Sacramento and I got a job at their amphitheater for concerts. After the first weekend of standing next to the garbage and port-a-pots, I was thinking it was a really stinky job. Then they asked for people to go to Mountain View where the Shoreline Amphitheater is, I volunteered. From Sacramento to Mountain View was about an hour and a half drive, I did not have a car. I decided I would hitch hike. I spent the rest of the summer hitchhiking from Sacramento to Mountain View, and then up and down the California coast, yes even the Santa Cruz Mountains. I worked 9 Grateful dead concerts that summer, and dozens of others. If I had a three day event, I would hitch hike up to San Fran until the next day. At night I would hang out with the skaters in the Embarcadero. Sometimes I would meet an interesting person and more adventures would ensue. I also became close with one of the catering gals who was responsible for the main musicians or acts meals, I ate like a queen. I have never had anything in life that compares to that time. I was so adventurous and care free. I look back now and think I am lucky to be alive considering the number of interactions and times I spent with complete strangers in so many different towns. Sitting here I just remembered a woman I met whose place I stayed at for a few days and the night time motorcycle rides she would take me on in Half Moon Bay, wow the feeling I remember is one I hope to never forget, just tingling all over. I will try and focus on my chores and work today without being too distracted by these amazing memories.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I'm not gonna say, as I'm unaware of the statute of limitations laws.

Last edited by YAZ; 08-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: sic

Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
When I was 19, I lived in Sacramento and I got a job at their amphitheater for concerts. After the first weekend of standing next to the garbage and port-a-pots, I was thinking it was a really stinky job. Then they asked for people to go to Mountain View where the Shoreline Amphitheater is, I volunteered. From Sacramento to Mountain View was about an hour and a half drive, I did not have a car. I decided I would hitch hike. I spent the rest of the summer hitchhiking from Sacramento to Mountain View, and then up and down the California coast, yes even the Santa Cruz Mountains. I worked 9 Grateful dead concerts that summer, and dozens of others. If I had a three day event, I would hitch hike up to San Fran until the next day. At night I would hang out with the skaters in the Embarcadero. Sometimes I would meet an interesting person and more adventures would ensue. I also became close with one of the catering gals who was responsible for the main musicians or acts meals, I ate like a queen. I have never had anything in life that compares to that time. I was so adventurous and care free. I look back now and think I am lucky to be alive considering the number of interactions and times I spent with complete strangers in so many different towns. Sitting here I just remembered a woman I met whose place I stayed at for a few days and the night time motorcycle rides she would take me on in Half Moon Bay, wow the feeling I remember is one I hope to never forget, just tingling all over. I will try and focus on my chores and work today without being too distracted by these amazing memories.
That is insane. You are very lucky to be alive. I've always wanted to do something like that but I've never had the guts to do it. Congrats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I rode a freight train from Abilene, TX to Odessa, TX and back when I was in high school. It was the idea of Jeff, a friend of mine whom my mother insists to this day, is probably in prison. My best friend Michelle went with us. This was in 1964.

It was a crazy thing to do but we were kids and didn't think anything would ever hurt us. I waited until I was in my 30s to tell my mother about it.

Michelle is now an RN is Oklahoma City and Jeff recently retired as a pilot for American. Me, well, I retired after 37 years with Civil Service a couple of years ago. So far, none of us have been in prison and we did have an excellent adventure.
That sounds like fun! I did something similar when I was 12 years old. Three of my friends and I took a 2 day ride. I've never confesed to my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I'm not gonna say, as I'm unaware of the statute of limitations laws.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
My old surfing buddy and I climbed up a very tall radio transmitter tower all drunk at night when it was very foggy and the ladder rungs were cold and wet.
We carried a six pack of beer each with us up the ladder and drank it all up perched at the top.
I don't even remember climbing back down or even going home but when I woke up at home the next morning there was a very pretty girl in my bed with me !

Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Default The trifecta of near distaster: a madam, an evil atm and a pissed cabbie

Was roofied in Tiajuana while hanging out at Hong Kong. Came out of the roofie coma the next morning. They were nice enough to put me right outside the front door under the eyes of security. No one screwed with me. I entered Mexico at night, woke up in sunlight. I'm foggy and confused. Hail a taxi. That's about when I realized all my cash was taken. Was robbed. But she left my plastic. Cabbie stops at the ATM, the ATM freakin takes my debt card. The cabbie is now pissed that I have no cash. He is making a scene, a small crowd forms. He starts making phone calls. Either he was calling the cops or cartel. Either one, bad news. My fight and flight kicked in. I ran. Run Lolita Run. It was crazy. He was on my heels for a minute. Everytime I looked over my shoulder, I would crash and trip over a light post or sign. I so beat up the next day, bruised and scratched. My feet all blistered as I was wearing ALDO Italian leather square tipped shoes, with no traction. Lucky I run a 5K every week, burned the fool but became so lost. I wandered for an hour or so before I could find the arch and flag to landmark myself and get back to the US. Some days!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
During my crazy days, I climbed the fence and skinny-dipped at the Village Community Swimming Pool by myself at 1 a.m. , for approx. 1 hour. (Yes, i showered before entering the water !)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation