Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM

82 posts, read 223,968 times

Advertisements

I think our most expensive hobby was when we were into Orchids. We had atleast 100 different ones, at one point in time. We don't have children so we used the spare bedroom as a growing room, plus had a shelf full in the livingroom and our bedroom. We grew them under fluorescent shop lights and at night, the windows glowed like a space ship. LOL

Next expensive hobby would be our '99 Sportster. We bought her for a "steal of a deal" as she came chromed out, with hard bags and the Screaming Eagle package.

On Feb. 4, 2007, a young man ran his red light and we t-boned him (never saw him coming). At 30 mph, we totaled his Lexus. When we hit the passenger side, we apparently hit it hard enough that the kickstand came down and the bike never laid down.

Once we get moved to AR and settled, we'll start working on her to get her road worthy again.$$$ We're looking forward to getting back to riding, we miss the heck out of it.

Lastly would be our aquariums. We have a 60g hex with a pair of African Cichlids in it and a 38g salt water reef. The reef is home to 2 different types of Mushrooms, 2 different Colony Polyps, a Flower Anemone, a pair of Percula Clowns and 3 Blue-legged Crabs.

The Cichlids aren't really expensive but the salt tank makes up for it as there's always some cool coral or fish al the local fish store that I'd looooove to bring home but their just too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I recently got into the hobby of herpetoculture, which is the keeping of live reptiles (and amphibians)... so far I've spent about $700 on the animals, and probably $600-800 on the caging/supplies. I'm sure I will spend even more, but hope to make it back when I breed the pythons. I absolutely LOVE this hobby, though, and don't regret a penny of what I've spent so far. My other big hobby is playing music, but that only costs money when you get a new instrument - which I haven't done for quite a while.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quilting - starting with my $6,000 sewing/embroidery machine. Each foot runs about $30, some $60, (I have 15 so far), software as much as $1,000; additional machine gadgets (some as high as $2,500), notions, patterns and most of all a gargantuan stash of fabric!

And then photography. I don't think an explanation is necessary for this one.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
My husband and I collect wine. Very expensive hobby--we spend an average of $20K a year on our collection, not including the cost to insure it, store it, etc.

I also enjoy photography, although that ties in with a small business, so I can write off a lot of the costs against the income.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
As many other people have stated, my expensive hobby was horses. I trained Arabians specifically, and had a hunter jumper who was a 16.2 hand Straight Egyptian Arabian, which is HUGE for a purebred. Did 3 day eventing for a while, low levels, and showed at a lot of 4H shows.

The horses were NOTHING compared to my dairy goat herd though.... I freshened around 15-20 does a year, but between equipment (EVERYTHING involved with dairy has to be food grade stainless steel), breeding (I did Artificial Insemination on most of my does, which meant $30-$100 per stick, some does needed 3-4 sticks to settle, plus rental on a tank) and stock (An average doe of show quality was between $700 and $1500) and feed (dairy animals require a very balanced feed regimine) I was broke.

I have been out of dairy goats for a few years now...and now I want to go back in so bad I miss all of it, even the being broke part.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM

422 posts, read 756,874 times
building computers, kayak fishing in the surf and bays, art, carpentry work....it gets worse...way worse...lol ...but seriously if you wanna talk expensive hobby take up Kayak Fishing with a Fly Rod I double dog dare you....

breeding bearded dragons (had 3 batches hatch this year, they sure are cute)
gaming all consoles........

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My other big hobby is playing music, but that only costs money when you get a new instrument - which I haven't done for quite a while.
Playing music is another hobby of mine, but in my case, it only gets expensive when I buy a new CD, or a bunch of them. I lost count when I had about 1000 of them (at the time, about $12 to $15 each - yikes!).

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I used to be into salt water aquariums, but luckily broke that habit before it broke my bank.
My newest hobbies are taking advantage of travel deals and guns. Those are making the salt water aquariums look like nothing when it comes to expenses

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM

82 posts, read 223,968 times
rd2007,

We've cheated and kept our handguns even though we have the salt tank!

Dawn

Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
It also became very expensive with my time. I was worrying more about water temps and specific gravities and less about family stuff. I had to quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation