Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

I sometimes post in the Gardening sub forum....but as summer is rapidly coming to an end....I am beginning to pay more attention to my indoor house plants.....and was pleasantly surprised to find that a hoya plant I have been semi neglecting......has two beautiful flower clusters on it. The flowers look as if they were sculpted out of pink wax.

This plant is about 2 years old and it is the first time it has bloomed....it is a cutting from a plant that I had years ago and left behind when I moved away....when I returned to the area....the person I had given it to...took cuttings for me. The original plant would be at least 20 years old.

The two cuttings are seriously under potted and I think I will combine them after it is done blooming. Does anyone else grow hoya plants?

I am interested in all house plants so we could discuss "house plants" here .

What are you growing and what are your experiences, problems, victories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

392 posts, read 990,502 times
I have two spider plants and 2 philodendrems. The spiders grow so rapidly I have to trim them constantly. The philo I let dry out before watering it and it's doing great.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Most of my plants live out on my balcony. I had a really beautiful hoya out there that I loved, but it was ruined by an evil squirrel that decided to use it for nesting material and uprooted it all. Grrr. At least I saved a few cuttings, but it will be years before they are blooming size.

Inside I have a large Schefflera actinophylla, a Rhapis excelsa that my hubby got me , a Syngonium that is trying to take over the planet, and an African violet that I just saw is blooming! Weee!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Most of my plants live out on my balcony. I had a really beautiful hoya out there that I loved, but it was ruined by an evil squirrel that decided to use it for nesting material and uprooted it all. Grrr. At least I saved a few cuttings, but it will be years before they are blooming size.

Inside I have a large Schefflera actinophylla, a Rhapis excelsa that my hubby got me , a Syngonium that is trying to take over the planet, and an African violet that I just saw is blooming! Weee!
Hi Tilli

Dont dispair on how long it will take you hoya.....mine was a cutting just 17 mos ago....and it is really doing well. I was going to pot the two cuttings together but I just read on line that hoya plants dont like to be transplanted .... so I think I will wait till next spring.

Your house must have a tropical feeling with the large schefflera and the lady palm. I have a good sized ficus tree and draceana floor plant in my living room; they are both doing well. The ficus has been really spreading its branches and I started to prune it.....but stopped when I saw that the sap would start dripping on the rug and couch if I kept it up.

My other monster plant is an angel wing begonia....I just moved it out to t he front porch....(I have some cuttings indoors)....the momma is really too big and dark leaved .... I may let the frost take it. Not sure about that.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
If they werent illegal I would.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Dont dispair on how long it will take you hoya.....mine was a cutting just 17 mos ago....and it is really doing well. I was going to pot the two cuttings together but I just read on line that hoya plants dont like to be transplanted .... so I think I will wait till next spring.
This particular type is really slow growing. I was able to save vines with mature flower peduncles, but so far there is only root growth. Maybe it might wake up and start moving in the spring!
Quote:
Your house must have a tropical feeling with the large schefflera and the lady palm.
Gotta love that tropical feel!
Quote:
I have a good sized ficus tree and draceana floor plant in my living room; they are both doing well. The ficus has been really spreading its branches and I started to prune it.....but stopped when I saw that the sap would start dripping on the rug and couch if I kept it up.
I love ficus, I really do. I have grown a lot of different types over the years, but I gave up on benjaminas (common weeping fig) as houseplants a long time ago. They really need to be pruned regularly or they become strange twiggy sculptures with leaves only on the ends. When you trim them, they drip sap all over everything. The sap can be a skin irritant. So you should really set it up over a tarp and wear gloves and long sleeves. Then just let it drip until the sap sets. They are particularly prone to get scale and dustmites. If the light it is receiving changes too much (it is very sensitive) it will drop basically all its leaves to grow a new set. They are just too much trouble for my tastes, although I have a bonsai retusa on the balcony. They are a lot more forgiving than the benjamina.
Quote:
My other monster plant is an angel wing begonia....I just moved it out to t he front porch....(I have some cuttings indoors)....the momma is really too big and dark leaved .... I may let the frost take it. Not sure about that.
I am glad that I am not the only one that sometimes gives my plants some tough love, hahaha! I love plants in my living area, but I like for them to not need me too much. I let them feel the dry season and they don't get a lot of supplemental watering. I have "forgotten" to brings plants in from the frost before. My favorites are the ones that survive.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
Default hoyas

I have had a hoya for less then a year and it bloomed the most beautiful pinnk flowers. I also got another one that has not bloomed yet for me or ever for the lady i got it from whos had it for years i really hope i can c wat it turns out to be. Also i went to walmart and got 4 for 3 dollars which is awesome! Cant wait til it blooms to c wat the flowers look like. Ive got tons of house plants from cactus to spider plants so i know how to take good care if neone needs some help.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
The hoya plant i got from walmart is a "angel lime" hoya. Im wondering if anyone knows what the blooms will look like...lime green?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 AM

Cuttings from the angel wing cane begonia were a hit at the church Christmas fair....still going gang busters at my house....the ficus got a hair cut in November.....(hate the sticky sap it oozes)....my prayer plant hangs on but never looks happy or vigorous and quickly goes into a wilt state....I will be getting pointsettia for church and will bring home after xmas....but I usually dont try to keep them going. (In California I loved the huge poinsettia trees in people's yards! I believe they are a different plant than our hot house varieties.

My christmas cactus was loaded with flowers for Thnksgiving....it was spectacular!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 AM

98 posts, read 197,642 times
Oh Elston,I hope to be moved by March. If your Angel-Wing Begonia can live with you a bit longer, I would be happy to give the mother plant a new home... I am bringing all of my plants, too. I have 4 huge pots of spider plants, a smaller spider that actually came from Texas with me 12 years ago, a crown of thorns, hen & chicks, a bunch of mother-in-law tongues. A ming aralia, a few ivies, a few ferns, an Orchid that has bloomed for me twice. I will give you one of my big spiders, if you wish! I am getting things ready. Of course I will be bringing my horses, dairy goats, and old Mastiff! Working on the purchase of a place in Penobscot county!!! The only plants that I regret that I cannot bring are my herbs in my herb garden. It was so well established! Can always do another, I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation