Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,658 times

Advertisements

An undeveloped, 50-acre lot near my home in Texas has attracted ATV riders. The jeeps, pickup trucks, 4-wheelers and motorcycles have cut roads and deep gullies in the the property. The owner has posted "No Trespassing" signs, but someone tears them down. Pretty much any wooden object gets burned, and someone even snapped a metal city sign at its base that was along a foot trail in the woods. Fences don't last long. Police do issue citations to the drivers of these vehicles, but they don't like to go back so far on the property, partly because it tears up their vehicles.

I understand that people want to have fun, and this land isn't being used for anything. Everyone wants to enjoy themselves. Well, I want to enjoy myself, too. I like to walk around nude, out in nature. If these guys can tear up this property racing around, why can't I wander around it naked? So, I've done that a few times. I walk in on unmarked foot trails, so there is no marked property line, no fence, no signs, no purple paint or anything at all to designate property boundaries. I know approximately where the property boundaries are supposed to be, based on conversations I've had with the surrounding property owners or managers, but nothing exists that says when I've strayed onto private property.

I can tell that I annoy some of the ATV people. One guy kept screaming insults at me as he drove away. Insults don't bother me. I'm more concerned that someone could turn physically violent. It's hard to tell what people will do. I try to keep video cameras recording me from a distance, so at least there would be some record of my surroundings if anything should happen.

I greatly enjoy walking around naked outside, but the nearest nudist property is a 2-hour drive from my home, and costs $40/day. I don't want to offend law-abiding citizens out on the nature trails. I don't much care if I offend the ATV riders. I'd like for them to go away. They could find another property to ride on.

What do you think about my course of action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
ROFLMFAO.

LONG may IT WAVE......

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
Personally, I've never understood the appeal that going around naked has to people such as yourself. Is is that it makes you feel younger, more like when you first came into the world or does it somehow make you feel more connected to the Earth or do you just enjoy showing off what you've got?

While I don't particularly like ATV riders, if you really feel the need to go around au naturel, I think I'd just stick with doing it in your house, out in your own backyard or at one of the areas dedicated to that sort of thing. These ATV riders might have younger kids with them who they don't want exposed to a nudist, or they just may not like it themselves. Either way, I think they're entitled to go out and do their ATV riding without having to worry about seeing some guy or gal roaming about naked in the woods.

BTW, while you're out there in your birthday suit, I hope you've at least taking the precaution of using some sunscreen or sunblock since you've now got nothing else to protect you from the sun. As someone who has had 2 incidents of skin cancer myself, and had to have a small portion of one of my ears removed because of skin cancer, I can tell you that it's something you should take seriously... especially if you if don't have clothing to protect you from the sun's damaging effects.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Personally, I've never understood the appeal that going around naked has to people such as yourself. Is is that it makes you feel younger, more like when you first came into the world or does it somehow make you feel more connected to the Earth or do you just enjoy showing off what you've got?
I'm a loner; I don't like being around lots of people, clothed or naked. I don't like seeing naked men, either, so I perfectly understand how someone would not want to see me. I wouldn't want to see me, either, if I weren't me (though, I am reasonably good-looking, if I do say so). That's actually part of the reason for posing naked around the ATV riders. They aren't supposed to be there, they are breaking the law besides breaking the trees and ground, and simply telling them to leave hasn't worked, even when it's the police telling them to leave. I think of myself as a sort of redneck scarecrow. Nobody--least of all them--wants to see a fat, middle-aged, naked man.

I enjoy being naked because clothes irritate me, scratching, binding and pinching, whereas being naked tickles. I love the feel of the gentle breeze and morning sun over my bare skin. I love being able to move without constrictions. These actually are fairly common sensations for people who are naked, and most people remember them from childhood. The fact that you don't understand the appeal tells me that it has been a long time since you experienced it; either that, or you are one of those few who simply don't feel it.

Quote:
While I don't particularly like ATV riders, if you really feel the need to go around au naturel, I think I'd just stick with doing it in your house, out in your own backyard or at one of the areas dedicated to that sort of thing. These ATV riders might have younger kids with them who they don't want exposed to a nudist, or they just may not like it themselves.
You are certainly correct. I've seen men on 4-wheel ATV vehicles with small children sitting on their laps as they tear off down the dirt trails. The minor hazard of them falling off, hitting their heads or being crushed is greatly eclipsed by the danger that they might see a naked man! The last time I was out walking around naked, I encountered a group of young people in a jeep, 3 young men and a young woman, who weren't necessarily pleased to make my acquaintance. They were kind of captive, though, stuck as they were in a big mud hole while I walked around their vehicle and asked if they needed some help getting out. However, they were polite, in contrast to the guy in the pickup truck who screamed his outrage at me and said that I am "sick."

As I see it, if they don't want to see it, they shouldn't be there. That's kind of the point. They are not allowed to be there.

Quote:
Either way, I think they're entitled to go out and do their ATV riding without having to worry about seeing some guy or gal roaming about naked in the woods.
The one rude man I mentioned asked me, "What's your problem?" I said I was just out enjoying the beautiful day. He demanded that I enjoy it over there, not around him. "Do you understand?" he demanded. I asked him, "Is this your property?' He yelled, "No! Ah, no." Then, he and his friend climbed into their vehicles and drove a little distance away.

Yeah, this is not their property. It's either public park (city or preserve-owned) or private property.

Quote:
BTW, while you're out there in your birthday suit, I hope you've at least taking the precaution of using some sunscreen or sunblock since you've now got nothing else to protect you from the sun. As someone who has had 2 incidents of skin cancer myself, and had to have a small portion of one of my ears removed because of skin cancer, I can tell you that it's something you should take seriously... especially if you if don't have clothing to protect you from the sun's damaging effects.
I don't spend enough time outside for that to be a problem. I try to ensure that I get at least 15 minutes of sunlight a day, but I don't always manage to do that. However, I do wear sunscreen (SPF 35) when I expect to be out for prolong periods.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,154 times
Hum...I love going offroading and could careless if I run across anyone nude...well, let me back track a little, I may stop and chat if she's cute

Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Hum...I love going offroading and could careless if I run across anyone nude...well, let me back track a little, I may stop and chat if she's cute
I'm kind of relieved to hear that, though some of the people I've watched out there scare me, regardless of how I'm dressed. I've been hiding in brush (on the public park side) and shooting photos of these people trespassing on private property for a long time. Some of those guys look scary!

And, yeah, I'd love to meet up with some cute, young woman!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
You're begging someone to call the cops and be put on the Sex Offender's List

Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
I am a nudist for the same reasons - clothes confine me and irritate my skin.
But walking outside au naturel - even though feasible in my rural area - is usually not a good idea. Blizzards, snow, 6 months of winter, vs hot dry heat, with a lot of pervasive sunshine, blowing winds that turn some areas into sandblast zones, and sandburrs as well as the occasional cacti make nudity a poor idea.

While you may feel that you are perfectly within your rights to walk around an area that you know to be private and/or posted, because others also ignore the private property signs, what you are doing is setting yourself up to become a victim. People who don't respect other peoples' rights will not respect yours. If anything happens to you, it will be "your fault" for being on posted land and attracting the criminal element. That may not matter too much to you, though, if it takes the authorities a little while to find your decomposing body.

And, like burgler implied, it doesn't take much to be listed as a Sex Offender - just urinating on the side of a ditch with no parts exposed can get you that conviction.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
Thanks for explaining to me why you enjoy going around naked, Pooua. I still don't really see myself doing it.... I don't really feel "confined" in my clothes and like I said in another thread, personally I think that being naked is something best left to 2 individuals in an intimate encounter... but that's just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I do think that SCGranny made some good points about your safety and setting yourself up as a victim or target in her post above, though. Something for you to consider.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I am a nudist for the same reasons - clothes confine me and irritate my skin.
But walking outside au naturel - even though feasible in my rural area - is usually not a good idea. Blizzards, snow, 6 months of winter, vs hot dry heat, with a lot of pervasive sunshine, blowing winds that turn some areas into sandblast zones, and sandburrs as well as the occasional cacti make nudity a poor idea.
Well, that's why I go places where the weather is comfortable to me. However, I have posed naked for an hour in the snow, high up in the mountains of New Mexico. I probably could not have done it if there had been any wind, and I took care to warm my feet every few minutes on a dry cloth.

Quote:
While you may feel that you are perfectly within your rights to walk around an area that you know to be private and/or posted, because others also ignore the private property signs, what you are doing is setting yourself up to become a victim. People who don't respect other peoples' rights will not respect yours.
These people have run me off the public park foot trails, where I had every right to be, so they could ride their motorcycles at high rates of speed. The posted signs state that motor vehicles are not allowed off the pavement. So, no, they don't respect other people's rights.

Quote:
If anything happens to you, it will be "your fault" for being on posted land and attracting the criminal element.
Did you not see where I wrote that this land is not posted? The ATV crowd tore down all the posts!

Quote:
That may not matter too much to you, though, if it takes the authorities a little while to find your decomposing body.
I bet the authorities would begin to take this seriously if they did find my decomposing body, especially after they found the video on my camera that I keep pointed at me.

I try not to be intimidated, even on pain of death, though I admit to some weakness in that regard. It is scary when the ATVers surround me and ask why I'm shooting photos of them, even when I am clothed.

Quote:
And, like burgler implied, it doesn't take much to be listed as a Sex Offender - just urinating on the side of a ditch with no parts exposed can get you that conviction.
Yeah, those are indecent exposure infractions. I am well aware of Texas indecency laws.

We had an incident in which a famous female singer walked down a sidewalk in Downtown Dallas, singing as she stripped naked. She walked naked for several dozen more feet, as her cameraman recorded her performance, then she lay down on the street. It wasn't until she posted her video and it got 1 million views that anyone began asking questions. The police asked the public if anyone was offended, because that's the only way they could press charges. Of course, in a large crowd, they found someone (from out of state, as I recall) who said that she was offended. She, she got the maximum sentence: $500 fine and 6 months probation. It's a Class C misdemeanor, same as a speeding ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation