Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

Anyone a fungi enthusiast here? We went for a beautiful fall hike through the woods today and came upon hundreds of various mushrooms... I would love to know what these beauties are, whether they are poisonous or edible, etc. Just their common names would be nice to know at the very least! Here are some pictures we took...

Picasa Web Albums - bloggity - Mushrooms at ...

(Should I move or copy this into the gardening section of the forums?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I too always wondered about those beautiful fungi. My wife used to go out and pick, she would always go by the res and ask our friends which ones were edible. We have moved away from the tribe and miss their wisdom.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I too always wondered about those beautiful fungi. My wife used to go out and pick, she would always go by the res and ask our friends which ones were edible. We have moved away from the tribe and miss their wisdom.
That is funny you would mention the tribe... I discovered this section of this particular woodsy park (it's a big park) by taking a naturalist-led nature hike that taught of the Native Americans who lived on these lands tens of thousands of years before the white Europeans came here. I had been to this park before, but never knew of this section of it. Now it's my favorite part of the park to walk. It's full of wild native plants, giant old trees, a river runs through it as well as a man-made "canoe canal"... and there are public art pieces like "talking stones" - the large stones say a word in the language of the tribe, and then under it in smaller letters the translation for the words in English. There are 11 of these stones scattered throughout and - along with the colorful mushrooms as well - it's like an easter egg hunt as you walk around finding all these cool things in the forest. Today we also discovered a large nest of a red-tailed hawk.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
I've had some mushrooms in the front yard this year that have piqued my interest. It's very hard to figure it all out.

My boyfriend, bless his heart, brought me a little bouquet the other day before embarking on a car trip. He came back before leaving with some mushrooms that looked like edible Lepiotas & some really wierd little orange flat topped ones with sort of luminescent spots.

The Lepiota looking ones were very ripe. I put the caps on paper to see what the spore prints would be like. Before 2 hours were up, we threw it all outside. The spores were making us feel on the verge of sick: respiratory symptoms.

It's a very picky business deciding which ones are edible. It's more than just "looking" at them. It's spore prints & what kind of environment they're growing in.

My family is very worried that I think I'll figure it out by myself & get poisoned. I'm just curious, like you, OP. I wouldn't eat anything until someone else confirmed my finding in person, first hand.

Kate

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Just remember when you pick mushrooms to use a net bag of some kind (onion bag etc) so what you pick will still release spoors as you walk and make mushrooms for the future.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Oooh Kate I hope you're feeling better. I was afraid to even touch the ones we found, much less bag them up bring them home and eat them! I took photographs and and looked at them for a long time, and left them alone. Yesterday we were at Whittaker Creek watching the salmon spawning (and some "Bubba's" illegally fishing/catching a few as well) and found more mushrooms that I had also never seen before. Bright orange and yellow ones, some all over the ground and some going up the sides of trees. They were really interesting looking. The salmon were lots of fun to watch, too! Made me angry about those guys out there catching them though. Maybe we should have called the police?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Oh yeah, we felt better within minutes. It was just wierd that we were getting really sniffley. And one of the caps had dumped spores on the paper in a very short time. All is okay now.

I never read about washing one's hands after handling them but it seems common sense, so I'm careful.

I guess you could have called the non-emergency police line to report the fish thing. That could be a big deal. Mr. Boyfriend says he thinks the creek you're talking about is not the right place for them to spawn, though.

I just looked it up & you're right about salmon there. I don't think he understood it wasn't actually in Whittaker hahahaha. He thought you were talking about some kind of slough (slew?). I just told him - now he understands. He fished for steelhead there years ago.

So I'd suppose the non-emergency police operator could give you a better number to call to report it. I'd do it all on the D-L though so "Bubba" doesn't know who's tires to slash....Probably no one would answer the phone (fish & wild life?) but at least you'd be doing your part. MAYBE get a license plate on the sly... I would.

Kate

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Oooh Kate I hope you're feeling better. I was afraid to even touch the ones we found, much less bag them up bring them home and eat them! I took photographs and and looked at them for a long time, and left them alone. Yesterday we were at Whittaker Creek watching the salmon spawning (and some "Bubba's" illegally fishing/catching a few as well) and found more mushrooms that I had also never seen before. Bright orange and yellow ones, some all over the ground and some going up the sides of trees. They were really interesting looking. The salmon were lots of fun to watch, too! Made me angry about those guys out there catching them though. Maybe we should have called the police?

Good Mornin' Sister hhe...

On the back of my fishin' license it says 'Turn In Poachers' Report Wildlife Violations, call
1-800-452-7888

Some of the members on www.oregonfishingforum.com
have reported Poachers.

Have a Beautiful Day...

Old 11-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Thank You! I wish now that I had written down their plates. I am keeping that number with me in case the situation arises again. Thank you!!

Whittaker Creek is a really fun area. You just take 126 out like you're going to the coast (from Eugene) and halfway between Eugene and the coast you'll see a sign that says "Wildcat Creek and Whittaker ..." ummm.... can't remember now if it says Whittaker Campground or Whittaker recreation site or what... but then you take that exit and go down and if you go right under the bridge it'll take you to wildcat creek... if you go left and drive down about maybe a mile or two, then go right over the bridge that takes you over whittaker creek... then park in front of the campground gates (it's not a year-round campground but you can park and walk around the area)...

Hiking around the front entrance area of the campground you'll see a footbridge that takes you across the creek. After the footbridge take a left and keep going down... when the water gets quiet, in shallow pools, you'll see salmon. We might have seen some trout, too... But mostly we saw salmon. Huge silvery ones and smaller red ones... they are really fun to watch. I had never seen salmon in the wild before and was surprised how fast and large they were. It was amazing. There's a fallen tree, too, that you can cross to get to the other side of the creek. Our boys had a blast with that.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Thankyou...

I'll have to explore that area next time i'm over that way.

Ifyou haven't seen this, you can get a free map;
www.byways.org

There are some beautiful byways in different states...

From Riddle to Glendale, along Cow Creek, is a beautiful drive.(smallmouth bass fishin') Umpqua River too.

Have a Beautiful Day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation