Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM

280 posts, read 1,135,827 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a nice starter electric train set. I'm just looking to have something I can set up around christmas time for the kids to watch/play with, maybe get a new village piece each year to build up around it. Any suggestions, particularly on what scale I should look in to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
For Christmas tree use exclusively, I'd recommend "G" scale. There are a lot of sets on the market, but most are from either Bachmann or LGB. The Bachmann sets usually include two or three cars, as well as track, the power pack, and everything else you need, and even have locomotives that have sound effects. I think the LGB sets are similarly equipped, but are usually a little more expensive. Some of these sets are designed with a Christmas theme. Many of the online model train outlets sell these sets, such as discount trains, wholesale trains, and walther's, just to name a few. You can use a smaller scale, but the smaller scales don't look as good around the tree, IMHO. If you want to use it at other times besides Christmas, you might want to consider HO, O, or On30 scale. These are smaller than G scale, and don't take up as much room, but as I said earlier, don't look as good around the tree. I personally have HO scale trains, because I enjoy modeling them, but I don't like how they look under the tree because they are too small for that purpose.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM

43 posts, read 55,775 times
G scale does tend to be quite expensive. However, outside Xmas time can be used as a garden railway if that appeals (not big enough to ride on tho)
For indoor use and expandable for younger children definitely go for HO. There is a huge amount of stuff available, not too pricy and not too small for young fingers!
If space is at a premium and Dad is going to be the real model railroader then you might look at the smaller scale of N

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
I'm looking for a nice starter electric train set. I'm just looking to have something I can set up around christmas time for the kids to watch/play with, maybe get a new village piece each year to build up around it. Any suggestions, particularly on what scale I should look in to?
Be forewarned...it can become addictive!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
We have a train around our tree. It's an inexpensive one though. It's not like a good train you would buy at a hobby store. It's more along the lines of a 'Walmart Special'. But I wouldn't invest much money in something that my 3 yr old son is going to be playing with. We only get it out during the month of december so it is less likely to be broken.

No idea what the scale is but the locomotive is probably a foot long and 5 inches tall....which seems big compared to a lot of other model trains I've seen.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
There is a difference between toy trains and model trains. There is nothing pejorative in the word toy train, there are toy train collectors, and some go for lots of money. You don't give kids "model" trains unless they understand how fragile they are and are willing to be careful with them. Get a nice G scale boxed setup and enjoy. It won't break as easily and can be fun without worry. Accessories are common.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Here's an example of a "G" scale set like what I had in mind (decent, but not terribly expensive compared to others):

Wholesale Trains, Model Train, RC Helicopter, RC Airplane, RC Boat, Garden Railroad, Park Flyer, Parts, Services

For something a little less expensive, you might want to try NewBright trains. Here's a sample:

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200505229

If you search online, you may be able to find something else more to your liking, and possibly at a better price, as well.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 12-09-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
The one we have looks just like that except it's lower end. (ie Same era of Locomotive with a tender, box car, and caboose.)

....I should take a picture of it.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
This is HO stuff only -------- Marklin sells G but they are way expensive.
But yeah for around the tree.......G or On30 would be the way to go.

For about the same price you can get Marklin digital
VERY easy to work with and can be the start of a bigger set.
Problem with Marklin is very limited American Prototypes
This little set 29755 is bottom end but their bottom end is very good quality.
This is a good price for it. You can usually pick up a lot at good price if you shop sales.

Märklin Trains: Getting Started >> H0 Digital Starter Sets

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
g looks good around the tree~ move it outside an you can get expensive very quickly~ mine did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation