Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM

148 posts, read 585,226 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone on here is into ham radio?
I just got my license this weekend, my callsign's KJ4RBT.

I'm starting out with an old Azden-300 and a homebrew antenna, just playing around on 2m through the local repeater, and hoping to upgrade to both a decent mobile and base transceiver later on. [I'll be taking my General Exam in a month or two, whenever my husband decides to take his Tech].

I've got my eye on a Yaesu FT-8900 for the car, and an Icom 706MkIIG for the house. Does anyone have any experience with these radios, opinions on them, or suggestions for similar radios that may be cheaper. I like the looks and size of the new shiny push-button stuff, but also think some of the old rigs would be cool to have, especially at home.

I'm learning CW, so if there's any radio especially good for CW DX, and pretty affordable, I'd also be interested in recommendations. A GOOD diy or kit model would be great, but not if it's lesser quality compared to an out of the box radio in the same price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Yes, I am a ham as well as my son and my husband. Be careful posting your call sign on the internet. Anyone can look you on on ARRL and drive right to your doorstep. Let me know if you would like your call sign deleted from your post or click on the report post icon. Of course, with your being a realtor with your information posted you may not have the same concerns as others.

73's

Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
I recently started investigating HAM radio when I became interested in emergency communications. The licensing material was interesting and I had my general license before my first radio. The radio I chose to get started with is the IC-7000 and I used it mostly on 2 meters learning its features and did only listen in on the other bands because my temporary HF antenna tuning was off.

I have decided that the IC-7000 is way too much to go mobile with for my purposes and am looking for a 2m single band or dual band transciever. I thought I could leverage some my investment by staying in the ICOM family.

I am interested in CW and intended to work on becoming capable and proficient but haven't advanced.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
I've been licensed for over 20 years but haven't been very active in the last 10. I'd be interested in trying some of the newer digital HF modes but I'm not really up on the learning curve.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
I'm into Shortwave Listening but not ham 'cause my wallet and my attention span just won't support all that goes into becoming a true ham.

I do admire all ham's tho. It takes a lot to get a ticket as well as make the equipment work right all the time.

FWIW I enjoy SWL as much as a ham must enjoy his choice of radio use.

Added.......
This is a good site for Hams to discuss their hobby.

Moderator cut: Deleted -- Other website.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-12-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I'm an Extra Class ham (AA5L) and have 149 'countries' using indoor antennas! I love amateur radio, and am eagerly awaiting the next sunspot cycle to ramp up so I can snag some more. I've been using a Yaesu FT-990 since 1992. Great rig, with lots of manual controls on the panel rather than menus to step through.

Tightwad, I was an SWL for thity years before becoming a ham. In fact, I got into it while shopping for a communications receiver when I found out that I could get a transceiver (transmitter and receiver) for not much more than a receiver alone. I also found out that I could get a Technician license without learning code. Now you don't have to know it for any license, although when I upgraded I had to study it. I still do some shortwave listening, although since the end of the Iron Curtain, it isn't as interesting as before.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm an Extra Class ham (AA5L) and have 149 'countries' using indoor antennas! I love amateur radio, and am eagerly awaiting the next sunspot cycle to ramp up so I can snag some more. I've been using a Yaesu FT-990 since 1992. Great rig, with lots of manual controls on the panel rather than menus to step through.

Tightwad, I was an SWL for thity years before becoming a ham. In fact, I got into it while shopping for a communications receiver when I found out that I could get a transceiver (transmitter and receiver) for not much more than a receiver alone. I also found out that I could get a Technician license without learning code. Now you don't have to know it for any license, although when I upgraded I had to study it. I still do some shortwave listening, although since the end of the Iron Curtain, it isn't as interesting as before.
Darn!! When I read post like yours I get itchy all over agin for a new radio.

But it's like I said, My attention span just won't support the investment. I'm going to play with some different antenna designs when it warms up and I might just be in real trouble then if I get
bored with SWL. However, I'm good till then......I hope.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I passed the Tech exam on 12/05/2009, license was in the ULS database on 12/09/2009. My new call doesn't exactly roll off the tongue so I applied for a "vanity" license, a bit easier to say and remember. I've wanted to be an Amateur Radio Operator since the 70's. Had a buddy who would buy old Motorola police radios, fix them and use them on local repeaters. He was Advanced Class and could send and copy code about 100 wpm. I just could never get the code down, and with a career, marriage, family, I had forgotten about Ham radio until recently. Although code isn't required any longer, I am still proud of myself at passing the Tech Exam, and am going for my General on the next testing day in February, and I'm learning code. I have a Yeasu vx7-r quad band portable, and am looking at a mobile. When I get my General I'll get an HF rig. Working satellites using an HT, or talking to another country on Echolink, and using psk31 is just amazing to me.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
jim9251: Congratulations on getting your ham license! I talked to someone in Colorado yesterday on 10 meters with my indoor antenna. I hope to hear you on HF one of these days. I got a vanity callsign simply because I can say it in about half the time of my old one, and it is easier for a DX station to copy.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Just got a new Yaesu FT-7800r mobile for next to nothing. Waiting on an antenna to be delivered so I can install this in my Jeep. I am amazed how small this radio is, especially with the control head removed. I have an idea all my money is now going to go into Ham radio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation