Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, just wondering if there are any other folks on CD that enjoy a good cigar? What is your favorite smoke and why? What do you drink with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I'll be looking in on this thread for answers as well, the cheapie tiparillos don't cut it anymore (well they're not that cheap now). Whatcha got people?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
I like swisher sweets cause their cheap but I useually have a $6 cigar at my local cigar shop but it doesn't have a label so I'll have to check on it today ,now I have an excuse to go

"always use matches to light your cigar"
anyone know why

Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Cojimar rum.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Contrary to popular opinion the "cigars" you buy in the drug store or gas station are NOT cigars at all. These posers are an off shoot of cigarettes. These cheap cigars are made from the same trash a cigarette is.

To get a REAL quality tobacco cigar one must shop at a cigar store to find the 100% tobacco cigar that is a delight to smoke slowly while you savor your favorite beverage. Listed below is a few of the places you can buy real cigars from folks who know what a quality cigar is.

Cigars - Shop Quality Cigars at Thompson Cigar

<meta Cigars Page>

Cigars

Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
My husband smokes Cuban cigars. Not sure what kind. And drinks single malt but that is with or without a cigar. Just curious as to whether Americans can get Cuban cigars?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My husband smokes Cuban cigars. Not sure what kind. And drinks single malt but that is with or without a cigar. Just curious as to whether Americans can get Cuban cigars?
I'm not 100% sure but anything from Cuba is still under the Cuban Embargo that JFK put in place so long ago. Most Cuban type cigars now come from Honduras today.

The Honduran cigars vary from top drawer to everyday but they are all 100% tobacco leaf.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
it is illegal to import cuban cigars from cuba

you can get cuban seed cigars which are grown from the same lineage of seed as cuban cigars

i prefer a nicaraguan cigar called la floridita, i recently won 80 of them for 57$ at an online auction at famoussmoke.com, usually about 2.00 a stick, but they smoke nice and are smooth, every time

i only drink captain morgan usually, so its captain and coke for me..

Old 12-20-2009, 05:41 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
I smoked cigars for 16 years before giving it up earlier this year. Given that I enjoyed good quality cigars, the cost became prohibitive. In addition, my afinity for an occasional cigar turned into a habit. I went from 3 to 4 cigars per week to 3 per day. Then, when I could not find the time to smoke a "fat one" as I use to like saying, I'd chew part of one just to get my nicotine fix.

Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable hobby while it lasted. Many of my co-workers were also into cigars. We all had humidors in varying degrees of sophistication. Some guys would label the purchase date onto their cigars prior to insertion into their humidors. Other paraphenalia included cigar cutters and hole punchers, stainless steel tubes for a single cigar, elaborate ash trays, propane lighter, etc.

I mostly preffered 6" maduros in a 48 ring guage. My favourite brands were Ramón Allones, Sosa's, Gurka's, Avo's, Ashton's, Arturo Fuentes, CAO's, La Gloria Cubana, and most recently Rocky Patel's.

For the most, I smoked cigars in the absence of a beverage. However, a few times I smoked one with Presidente Brandy. Several times I'd smoke my cigar with a glass of the best Cabernet Sauvignion I could afford.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Mostly Romeo y Julieta petite's, but have an assortment that I can always go to for diversity and circumstance. Fuentes', about a dozen Dunhill corona's, about 6 boxes of Upmann's Hoyo de Monterrey's petite robusto's, and the three boxes of Cubans (Romeo y Julieta's petite corona's) I was able to get past customs the last time overseas.

Mostly drink with a low-land single malt, but have recently been pairing with highland malts as well. Every now and then will enjoy with a great Merlot, depending on the meal and cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation