Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,019 times

Advertisements

What do you find more enjoyable PERSONALLY in terms of both riding down the mountain and for doing tricks? I have done skiing and picked it up easily (the basics at least), but I hear its tough to learn how to do tricks/advanced riding maneuvers. Snowboarding is supposed to be hard to learn, but easier to do advanced stuff, so any thoughts on that?

in before snowboarding is for men, skiing is for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 11,268 times
Personally, I find snowboarding more enjoyable, but then again I was given a skateboard when I was three years old- so I am biased to going down hills sideways. For me the first day or two snowboarding left me pretty banged up but then it all clicked and became much easier.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Snowboarding assumes groomed slopes where there are no depressed areas that might cause a person to have to hike out. Hiking out in deep snow can be not only exhausting, but life threatening, depending on the weather conditions.

On skis you can use good technique, aided by your ski poles, to work your way out of such situations.

There has been an increasing number of deaths from such situations since snowboarding became popular, especially when someone goes off piste or into back country.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
snow boarding is huge it's popular with kids and adults what do you mean advanced tricks cause their is a board park at some moutains which is like a skate park for the half pipe and rails to grind on I prefer just carving down the hill you do get beat up when you bail though

Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 AM

353 posts, read 1,001,096 times
I bring both when I head to the mountains. If we get a good dumping the night before, its nice to ride the board. And after grooming, I like to put in the skis for some slow cruising.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
I started skiing when I was about 10 in the early 70s growing up in the mountains of Northern CA and skied for about 20 years and lived and breathed the sport. After being intrigued by snow-boarders on the lift and the mountains for a few years I made the jump and picked it up real quick (pain is a great teacher!-no lazy edging haha) and absolutely fell in love with it, it felt so much more connective to the mountain, I never really got into the whole terrain park thing which is such a huge component of boarding but I loved just carving the slope and boarded for about 12 years.
Snow boarding is a pain whenever there is not enough vertical, traversing nearly flat access trails is painfully awkward- that's when you are jealous of skiers poles. And I never got into the whole "us vs them" mentality. If there is anything that shows your immaturity and uncoolness its when you think you are so much cooler than someone who is doing something a bit differently than you, or has some age on you.

Alas, I severely snapped my collar bone in half at a particularly vulnerable spot while snow boarding a few years ago and it took years and major surgery to attempt of heal it (I can predict rain, when it hurts just a bit more than normal haha). The Dr. said I could snow board again as long as I NEVER fell on that shoulder again. Totally bummed me out but I got back into skiing and the new parabolics and it was full circle discovering the sport and loving it again. I wish I could snowboard again but as you get older those injuries just do not ever heal as they did when your a kid so mellow skiing it is for me now.

I loved them both.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
We live in Utah where the snow is absolutely fantastic. I am a personal fan of snowboarding, but never get out enough to do it! I've also never tried skiing, but I am very open to trying it one day. I just wish there wasn't so much tension between the two preferences on some mountains. There is one resort here that doesn't allow snowboarders.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,026 times
For me, Snowboarding vs. Skiing can also be said as:

Wrist injuries vs. Knee injuries

I switched to snowboarding for this reason. ...and its more fun.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
I was always a great skier from when I was small. Then in HS I switched to snowboarding off/on because my buds were into it. I became moderately good, getting about 6-8ft of air and doing little 180s and grab stuff. I just really never got use to having my feet tied together...alway just felt so weird and confining.

If I wanted to do anything extreme, especially on steep, ice clad conditions, the skis came out. Where one slip could seriously maim myself, I never trusted one edge. Dropping 30+ft out of the air, things can go wrong fast and I always felt safer knowing I could squiggle a bit to get at least one leg semi under me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
If I wanted to do anything extreme, especially on steep, ice clad conditions, the skis came out. Where one slip could seriously maim myself, I never trusted one edge. Dropping 30+ft out of the air, things can go wrong fast and I always felt safer knowing I could squiggle a bit to get at least one leg semi under me.
How about dropping about a thousand feet before coming to a stop? That happened at Snowbird, in Utah, when one of the very first snowboarding ski instructors working there went with a bunch of skiers on a helicopter jaunt to the ridge line above Cottonwood Canyon to the north of Snowbird. His "fall line" remained clearly visible for some time after the accident. And no, he did not survive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation