U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM

740 posts, read 1,831,054 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there into metal detecting as a hobby? I am buying my first metal detector(minelab) in a few months and am really looking forward to it. It can be a fun, profitable hobby and it gets you out into the great outdoors. If you have, where have you detected in the past? Do you really enjoy it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,808,866 times
I have a White's MXT, and have used it a few times, but haven't been out lately. I would like to get out and use it some more, but I don't know when I'll do so. Here's an older thread about Metal Detecting, and one of the posts links to an even older thread:

Metal Detecting

Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 AM

2,993 posts, read 5,634,512 times
Great stuff Metal Detector News, Reviews and Ratings

Got my nephews a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM

740 posts, read 1,831,054 times
Nice website, thanks for the link.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM

21,525 posts, read 19,319,125 times
I used to enjoy doing it although I never found more than enough to pay for new batteries and maybe a little more. My problem was finding places to go where you wouldn't get chased. I'm not talking about private property, this was on public land. I was once ordered off county property, that wasn't posted, by somebody who said he was a county parks officer. I didn't ask for his ID but he was openly wearing a pistol with no badge and was too old to be a police officer( about 65 to 70). I called the county asking if it was legal to hunt there and was told yes but I should get get a written submission signed in case there was any damage they'd know who to ask about it. The "officer" seemed a little odd and I'd have liked to ask who he might be but didn't want to antagonize anybody. So that was that. I know of public areas where you can hunt but again you have to go through channels and often times get conflicting answers. I'm tempted to check some of the large city owned property, undisturbed woodland and mountain, but again I don't want to end up getting fined or have my detector taken by somebody and then have to go through the trouble of reclaiming it.
If I lived out west I'd be panning or detecting for gold in my spare time.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM

96 posts, read 250,183 times
around sunset on waikiki beach, metal detectors and scoops on poles are what the hunters use to try to find watches,rings,etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,967,377 times
Years ago someone gave me a metal detector. I threw a nickel
over my shoulder into the grass and to this day that nickel is still out there somewhere in my front yard...LOL.. You're welcome to come look for it....LOL

Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,972,386 times
I have an ACE 250, but I have not been able to get out in a while. Since I like instant gratification, I tend to hunt at elementary schools (on early weekend mornings) . I have found some decent things - jewelry and such, but I do it for the fun. Even though we live at the beach, I have never had much luck in the sand.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM

215 posts, read 315,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Anyone out there into metal detecting as a hobby? I am buying my first metal detector(minelab) in a few months and am really looking forward to it. It can be a fun, profitable hobby and it gets you out into the great outdoors. If you have, where have you detected in the past? Do you really enjoy it?
Be carefull in the great outdoors when the moose are calving and the bears are around. I don't use my head phones around the woods or beach's, let it screech and keep looking / listening around you. I use a White's DFX

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM

4,121 posts, read 8,124,535 times
I also have a Garrett Ace 250 its a great metal detector for the price. I do a lot of camping, so I like to do campsites and beaches here in Michigan. Its a lot of work, but a lot of fun when you find something cool. I like to go to the metal detecting forums and talk to other people, see what works best, what people are finding and so on. Its a lot funner to read some awesome things people find to get you motivated!
Metal Detecting Forums The New Treasure Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation