Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,000,906 times

Advertisements

Anyone sew that would know what what be a good sewing machine to buy for basic sewing and also for monogramming? I didn't want to spend a lot on a machine. But wanted one that was easy to use and that was resonably priced. just thought maybe someone here might be able to give me a few models before I search for weeks making myself crazy looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,754,658 times
I sew. I'd love to help you narrow it down. Your question is pretty open ended and likely to get you answers about each person's favorite machine; not always helpful if they don't do exactly the same sewing you think you will do. It's like saying tell me the best car, without price range or even what and where you drive explained?

These days sewing machines can range from $100 to 10,000 so where does "not a lot " fall for you? Basic sewing can entail needing stretch stitches, edge or knit stitches, buttonholes and other utility stitches to some (like me) while to others it might mean straight stitch, reverse and maybe a zig zag. For some basic means strong enough to stitch for quilting and for others it might mean strong enough to plow through multiple layers of duck cloth, upholstery fabric or denim when making a bag or basic home decor.

If you plan on sewing once a month or less, on light weight fabric you probably can get away with really cheap. If you plan on sewing more often and with a variety of fabrics you'll have to plan on looking at sewing machines over the $500 range to get reliable stitching.

Monogramming is also pretty open ended. Some of the sewing machines in the mid ranges come with built in "alphabets" that can be used for simple monograms. Some people completely free hand their monograms but most people who have gotten into monograms have also gotten into machine embroidery as the way to make varied monograms. Any sewing machine with hooped embroidery capabilities will set you back several thousand dollars. Most will require software in addition to the machine and computer use.

Some of the more common good brands out there are Pfaff, Brother, Viking, Bernina and Janome. Look into dealers within a reasonable driving range and see how each dealership looks, how they treat you and how willing they are to show you a variety of machines. A good dealership can provide support and classes so you can get the most from your purchase a bad one is not better than going to Target, Sears or Walmart. They are the worst places to buy a machine from since you cannot really test them or learn about them before your purchase and have no help with any problems you encounter.

Sew News magazine has done comparison charts for sewing machines in the past and might be a good resource for finding some possibilities. There website doesn't seem to have a link to it but maybe you'll have better luck looking: Sew News | Sew News Threads, an excellent sewing magazine has done some reviews and comparisons, too. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything more recent than about 8 years ago! --- 31 Basic Sewing Machines: The Line-up

An on line resource you might enjoy has reviews of all sorts of sewing related things, including some machine reviews: Sewing - Sewing Patterns & Sewing Machines. Butterick & Kwik Sew Patterns. Sewing Machine Reviews & Pattern Reviews. Sewing Classes at PatternReview.com

Hope this gives you a start in the right direction.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,962,720 times
Go to your local sewing machine store and talk to the owner/manager.....tell them what you need to do, and how much you want to spend.

It should be easy to operate, and have a decent warranty! Talk to the people you will purchase it from!

Most machines are fine....it's just a matter of finding what will suit your uses!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,340,736 times
Lots of good advice here. If you are looking for an endorsement, my choice is Viking by Husqvarna. I have four and I wouldn't trade one of them. I learned to sew on my mother's Elna (she has two), and that is a good machine as well.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
I second the Husqvarna. I've been sewing since I was 10 - I'm 60 now.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM

9,258 posts, read 14,834,877 times
I just got a Janome Threadbanger. Love it!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
If I had it to do over, I would get a high quality, heavy duty Husqvarna serger as my 2ndary "sewing" machine. There are just some things that are better on a serger.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,754,658 times
Good to see that there are a few people who sew out there! I'm afraid the OP never bothered to come back, at least that you can tell.

I've tried other machines but always ended up coming back to Pfaffs. Over the years I've been friends with several sewers around the country and have stayed connected through on line groups. No matter what machine has become their favorite I've found it is the dealer and dealer follow up that has been more important than the brand when it comes to really being able to sew and enjoy sewing. Now that one company owns Pfaff Viking and Singer it seems they are all getting more things in common and less that sets them apart.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

422 posts, read 1,471,544 times
i bought a 50+ bucks reconditioned Brother sewing machine last yr when i first started, which is alright for very amaturish sewing.

but i'm really getting into it now and am trying to make bags and stuffs in different kinds of fabrics...and the cheapo machine is starting to fall short. but i'm still able to achieve most of what i hope to make using it although the stitches might not be great and i have difficulties sewing through thick layers.

i'm wondering if i shld start looking for another slightly better machine....but probably not the really high end ones....hopefully around a couple hundred dollars. possible? i don't really use the machine for very fancy stuffs i.e. monogramming etc. i just need one that is good for sewing through many layers of thick fabrics.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:58 AM

50,173 posts, read 63,623,198 times
If I were you, I would go to a place like Joanne Fabric where they sell Singer Sewing machines. They have them labeled according to the features they have, and the prices start at under $100. Have someone knowledgable at the store advise you.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself, since I'm moving and have an old sewing machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation