Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to learn and my 18 year old son wants to also.
We tried last year at Morehead, NC and were comical trying to learn the
channel markers, tide , sandbars.. The flounders have never been so safe ,But you have to start somewhere..right!!

We want to go soon to the Taylors creek boat ramp and try around carrot island.

I am learning as much as I can about the tides/limits/moon/ect.

We have a gig from last year, but I am trying to figure out a good light
& cheap.. I want to try a light weight multiple LED light and encase it somehow in a waterproof casing. (maybe casing off hubby's old dive light.)
Then I want to float in in something that will allow it to surmerse and keep it upright. (think- fat baby sitting in a swimring)

I think this idea would be great so I can push the light ahead with a pole and have it attached by rope to my waist. Then I will have both hands free to
handle all those huge flounder we are going to find.

I have seen photos of floating ice chest attached by a rope

I just ordered a $15 15 led flashlight that was 1/2 price on overstock.
I hope it will be bright and I can figure a way to waterproof it and float it.

I would love feedback about these ideas.. I am tough so feel free to tell me
" crazy women..that thing ain't never going to work"
I'll just get more determined to prove you wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Here's a pretty cool submersible gigging light design...

Flounder Light used for gigging flounder

I grew up flounder gigging around Galveston, TX. Great fun. Don't take advice from anyone unless their cooler is full.

If you really get serious, you will probably need a little john-boat.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
any light can be waterproofed in a matter of minutes with some orings and silicone sealant

Old 05-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
any light can be waterproofed in a matter of minutes with some orings and silicone sealant
JBMallory

Do you think this one can be waterproofed ???

Super Bright 52-bulb LED Flashlight | Overstock.com

Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM

401 posts, read 558,031 times
I have been a few times. As the previous poster mentioned, best to go in a small boat. Good light very important. My most successful trips were on nights with little or no wind. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Years ago, when I lived on the Gulf Coast, there was a specially made floundering light that was available in most sporting goods stores that was nothing more than a Coleman lantern with a big aluminum dish pan for a reflector. It was the light preferred by giggers because it didn't produce a glare off the water. It was a nice diffused light. We used an inner tube with a wash tub in the center into which we flopped the flounder off of the gig. The inner tube was floated along with a rope tied to the gigger's belt or around the waist.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
JBMallory

Do you think this one can be waterproofed ???

Super Bright 52-bulb LED Flashlight | Overstock.com
Certainly. take it apart and take it to a northern tool or autozone and get o-rings to fit all the screw together joints

Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Years ago, when I lived on the Gulf Coast, there was a specially made floundering light that was available in most sporting goods stores that was nothing more than a Coleman lantern with a big aluminum dish pan for a reflector. It was the light preferred by giggers because it didn't produce a glare off the water. It was a nice diffused light. We used an inner tube with a wash tub in the center into which we flopped the flounder off of the gig. The inner tube was floated along with a rope tied to the gigger's belt or around the waist.

jaxart

I love the innertube/wash basin idea

Was it hard to hold on to the lantern and gig the flounder at the same time, or did one person hold the light and another gig.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Certainly. take it apart and take it to a northern tool or autozone and get o-rings to fit all the screw together joints
Thank you so much.. I was trying so hard to think of a waterproof casing/tube to put the whole thing in that I never even thought about sealing the
one it is in ...

Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
jaxart

I love the innertube/wash basin idea

Was it hard to hold on to the lantern and gig the flounder at the same time, or did one person hold the light and another gig.
Great question, and one I was asking of myself when I was recalling the experience. I have a hard time remembering to fix breakfast some days, so bringing back accurate memories from nearly 50 years ago is just not happening. I can visualize harpoon (gig) in one hand and the lantern in the other, but what did I do with the lamp when I needed to reach for the fish? It may well be that my son held the lantern for me? But I also know I went out alone at times.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation