Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I'd name change the following teams to something more based on the city and region that they play in:
  • Buffalo Sabres
  • Calgary Flames
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers
  • Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
Yeah, 'Flames' is a residual, incongruent name/mascot from their days in the ATL (referencing the Union army torching Atlanta)..
But Black Hawk is a regional Illinois reference.. Black Hawk was a chief born in Illinois, and the Black Hawk War was waged in Illinois over ancestral Indian land.. It's a regional fit (unless you're looking for something right from within city limits): and I'd hate to see their jerseys & Blackhawk logo go.. they're tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Get rid of Florida, Nashville, Tampa, Columbus, Phoenix, Minnesota, and Carolina. The league was much much better in the 80s before all this expansion when there were only 21 teams.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Get rid of Florida, Nashville, Tampa, Columbus, Phoenix, Minnesota, and Carolina. The league was much much better in the 80s before all this expansion when there were only 21 teams.
No doubt. Minnesota is the last place people think about when they think of hockey..... Hahaha, what an idiot.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

672 posts, read 789,578 times
I would like to get rid of Minnesota only because they are really starting to come into it. If they could get a goalie to play more than a few weeks, they will really be a threat.

People still show up in North Stars gear to Wild games.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I would like to get rid of Minnesota only because they are really starting to come into it. If they could get a goalie to play more than a few weeks, they will really be a threat.

What exactly do you mean by this statement?

Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Yeah? So? It's nostalgic... I'm sure there's plenty of people showing up to Carolina games in Whalers uniforms... and I bet there's people showing up to Dallas Stars games in North Star uniforms. Doesn't mean a thing....

Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,999 times
32 seems to be the magic number. The NFL is already there and it's by far the most popular sport in North America. If the NHL tries to exceed that number, I think they're going to hurt.

The cities that should have teams?

In no particular order (but moving north to south):

Canada (10 Total)
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto (2)
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City

US (22 Total)
Minneapolis
Chicago
Detroit
Boston
New York City (2)
Buffalo
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington, DC
Columbus
Cleveland
St. Louis
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Dallas
Denver
Hartford
Nashville
Kansas City

Runner-ups
Oklahoma City
Indianapolis
Seattle
Charlotte
Anchorage

Get Rid Of:
Desert teams and sub-tropic teams. Hockey does not belong in climates like these and most communities struggle to support a major hockey team as it is.

Get rid of the Devils, they've been struggling financially for far too long. I think there's plenty of hockey in the region with Philly, DC, and two teams in NYC.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
So you'd rather dump another team in Hartford? There's all this talk of people leaving CT in droves on the CT board. Why put one there when people are leaving?

I agree with leaving the league at 32 teams but dump all the Florida teams. You talk about dumping the Devils but the Columbus franchise is FAR worse off. Blue Jackets improve on ice, but attendance, TV ratings among worst | BlueJackets Xtra

The team in Vegas will be relocated inside of 5 years. The Vegas market always looks attractive but there's too many military and military contractors to provide a dependable ticket base. See the Jacksonville Jaguars and every team in San Diego for why sports teams don't want to be in military towns anymore.

KC couldn't support their team, which turned into the Colorado Rockies (NHL) which became the NJ Devils. Better to put a team in Seattle which is largely a virgin market and has an instant rivalry with Vancouver, BC. OKC can't support the Barons with their attendance cut in HALF since the Thunder showed up and sucked up all the corporate $. Charlotte already has a team nearby and Anchorage doesn't have the $ and population to support a team.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
So you'd rather dump another team in Hartford? There's all this talk of people leaving CT in droves on the CT board. Why put one there when people are leaving?

I agree with leaving the league at 32 teams but dump all the Florida teams. You talk about dumping the Devils but the Columbus franchise is FAR worse off. Blue Jackets improve on ice, but attendance, TV ratings among worst | BlueJackets Xtra .
You talk about leaving Florida entirely though when the Bolts are 10th in the league:

2013-2014 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

There are no more markets, they're all exhausted IMO. Only city IMO that should/could get a franchise (back) should be QC. I didn't even necessarily agree with Winnipeg getting their team back with that tiny arena but I'm glad we finally have a border rival now that it's said and done.

Seattle didn't even care enough to keep the Sonics there so I'm standoffish about putting an NHL team there. Milwaukee is last in league in NBA attendance and the Bucks don't even have an NHL franchise (or NFL for that matter) to fight with, so putting an NHL team there is illogical as well.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Being in Tulsa, Seattlites say the exact opposite. Our city gets lumped in with OKC as a bad actor and one to be hated as the ownership "stole" the team. It's too bad Aubrey McClendon got the team but Steve Ballmer didn't seem interested in buying it when Howard Shultz put it up for sale. Amazing how much of a basketball fan he is now. It will be interesting to see how much the NHL is interested in having a team there once the "New Sonics" arrive from LA in a couple of years.

Anyways, I did not know the Bolts were that high. Judging by attendance, they'd be #2 in Tampa which is about the best any team can do when they have to share the market with the NFL. Seattle had a long standing hockey history before WWII and would have had a shot at the Stanley Cup if it weren't for the Spanish Flu pandemic.

I agree with you that QC should get their team back. It's too bad the NE US outside of the major MSAs is emptying out. It lowers the interest in hockey in the US in general. Did the NHL look at Grand Rapids or Milwaukee? There have to be pro hockey fans in those areas as they are rabid collegiate fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey