Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading Hockey Night in Dixie which is a really interesting book. Even if you aren't interested in minor league hockey in the South it still gives a good view of what minor league players think about their jobs. It raised two questions though. One, it seems like there aren't too many minor league teams in Canada, and they seem to fold or move as often as minor league teams in the US. Is that true? I thought Canadians would be more into hockey even at lower levels of play. Second, I thought the Junior Leagues were like the top level minor league (comparable to AAA baseball teams), but it seems like the players are actually kids still in high school who don't even get paid. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
There are minor leagues in Canada, they're called Senior Leagues.....they don't pay (or if they do, it's more like an apprerance fee).
That's how the goon league in Quebec took off, it was a senior league that didn't pay, un until a few years ago, when they techincally went professional. However, the salaries are low enough where most of the players work day jobs.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
They have Junior A, Senior A, and some of the minor league AHL teams. I think people are more attached to the junior teams though. I think like 80% of Canadas population is with 100 miles of the US border. The kids food and board are paid for by local families. I think its called billets.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
the Op was talking about minor league, not major junior. All Canadian hockey fans and 90% of the US fans know there's 16 to 21 year old junior hockey in Canada.
Answering the original ?, this is one example in Newfoundland.....

Avalon East Senior Hockey League

Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
There are minor leagues in Canada, they're called Senior Leagues.....they don't pay (or if they do, it's more like an apprerance fee).
That's how the goon league in Quebec took off, it was a senior league that didn't pay, un until a few years ago, when they techincally went professional. However, the salaries are low enough where most of the players work day jobs.
They are semipro.
It seems that many former AHL players move back home to play the LNAH while they get a university degree or something.
Bobby Dollas played there for five years after his NHL career instead of playing in the AHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey