Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

You can disagree all you want out of spite, but you are wrong.

I'm going to break this down for you...

You are using the wrong word... Manderly tried to explain this to you a few posts ago. Maybe the NHL playoffs are more "compelling" or "dramatic". But "interest" is based on popularity.

Interest - something that concerns, involves, draws the attention of, or arouses the curiosity of a person:

Popular - appealing to the general public; widely favoured or admired

TV Ratings and Attendance are how the "draw" of sports are measured. Meaning, whatever people tune into, is what they find more interesting. The reason the NBA is more popular is because more people find it interesting. Simple and plain.

That's not a knock on the NHL. And certainly isn't a knock on Hockey. Basketball is just more popular and more interesting to the majority of people.

Now... if you wanna say the NHL playoffs are more compelling. Are more dramatic. Have more parody. Or are not as predictable... that may be a better assertion. But clearly the NBA playoffs are more interesting to the masses.

And wouldnt this statement make you, not qualified to know which playoffs are more "interesting" since you dont watch the NBA to actually compare them?

Whatever you say. Popularity does not equal interesting. Too many people follow the crowd and never find out how interesting something is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Whatever you say. Popularity does not equal interesting. Too many people follow the crowd and never find out how interesting something is.
And to back up your point, this guy below is VERY popular. But does that mean he's one of the all time greats....?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I didn't say popularity equals interesting... Smh

enjoy your fallacy that Hockey is the most interesting sport.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Hockey IS the most interesting... and the most fast-paced, and the most exciting. I also think hockey players are the most well rounded athletes.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
I do not have any interest in pro basketball.

Hockey is my favorite sport.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Saw an article that the NBA's Phil Jackson says the NHL playoffs are more interesting than NBA's. Didn't read article, so not sure if he meant in general or this year in particular. And I think he did in fact watch some of the playoffs this year.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I didn't say popularity equals interesting... Smh

enjoy your fallacy that Hockey is the most interesting sport.
I didn't say that. It's the most interesting to me.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hockey IS the most interesting... and the most fast-paced, and the most exciting. I also think hockey players are the most well rounded athletes.
Hockey is not my favorite sport to follow out of the 4 major sports but LIVE it is by far the best, hands down.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
That's what's always believed, the NBA fans don't follow the NHL and vice versa. It would be hard, anyway, due to the overlapping seasons and number of games in a long season.

Now that hockey is over, are some hockey fans tuning in? I don't follow the NBA, but it's so in-your-face that one must take notice.

I'm jealous that their playoffs have been more entertaining than hockey's, esp. these later sounds. Agree?
I've never been a BB fan. The only BB I ever watched was High School Tournament BB. The players play as a team and don't showboat.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM

451 posts, read 694,861 times
Phil Jackson prefers NHL playoffs to NBA: 'More fun, much more action' - CBSSports.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey