Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times

Advertisements

It's likely that a few teams may relocate soon. Some cities that could be host to a team.

1.Houston or San Antonio-Give the Dallas fans someone to hate.
2.Oklahoma City-Dont know if they are big on hockey but they seem to want something.
3.Albuqerque-Doubt they would get support though.
4.Seattle
5.Kansas City-Already talk of this
6.Winnepeg
7.Quebec City
8.Hartford or Bridgeport,CT
9.Portland,Oregon
10.Milwaukee
11.Indianapolis
There are many more but these are the ones I can think off the top my head. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
It's likely that a few teams may relocate soon. Some cities that could be host to a team.

1.Houston or San Antonio-Give the Dallas fans someone to hate.
2.Oklahoma City-Dont know if they are big on hockey but they seem to want something.
3.Albuqerque-Doubt they would get support though.
4.Seattle
5.Kansas City-Already talk of this
6.Winnepeg
7.Quebec City
8.Hartford or Bridgeport,CT
9.Portland,Oregon
10.Milwaukee
11.Indianapolis
There are many more but these are the ones I can think off the top my head. What do you think?
Out of the cities you've listed, I would HOPE that Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec City would be the first choices. Each of those cities are great hockey hotbeds, and W'peg and Hartford only lost their teams because of the NHL's idiotic 1990's love affair with non-traditional hockey cities (hello, Phoenix!).

Now that the NHL is starting to "right the ship", I would truly hope they decide to return to the cities that built the league. Let's go Winnipeg!!! Let's go Hartford!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:26 PM

262 posts, read 299,908 times
the list seems pretty good but i think that Hartford should be moved up to like third on the list i think that they would be a great fit for a NHL team as long as they get a new arena

Old 12-14-2007, 06:27 PM

262 posts, read 299,908 times
Quote:
Now that the NHL is starting to "right the ship", I would truly hope they decide to return to the cities that built the league. Let's go Winnipeg!!! Let's go Hartford!!!!!!!!!!!
That just warms my heart lol

Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrench8456 View Post
the list seems pretty good but i think that Hartford should be moved up to like third on the list i think that they would be a great fit for a NHL team as long as they get a new arena
Actually, I just listed the cities in no order. The last I checked Bridgeport was Conneticut's largest city so thats why i'm throwing them in the mix.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 06-22-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
It's not enough to just throw a team into a new market.

Regardless of whether a team locates in New Mexico or Winnipeg, it better have owners who have both the budget to have a competetive team and the smarts to hire qualified hockey folks to run it.

Can't see Quebec City getting a team any time soon. City wasn't willing to make concessions for the Nordiques and seem to be happy with Junior A hockey.

Vancouver might have something to say about a team relocating to Seattle.

Hard to see Portland, Oregon having enough fan support to hold a team. Most folks still put the word "ice" in front of "hockey" in the Beaver state.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
how about...Halifax Nova Scotia!!!!! Probably not big enough but they definitely want it.

Would be cool to see the Whalers again though.

It seems weird Seattle doesn't already have one. I mean if freakin Anaheim does

Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,493 times
Think about Tulsa because they actually have a big time arena and love their minor league hockey (great attendance)....BOK Center
www.cityoftulsa.org/OurCity/Vision2025/Arena.asp - 16k -

Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Think about Tulsa because they actually have a big time arena and love their minor league hockey (great attendance)....BOK Center
Vision 2025 - Arena - 16k -
Whoa, thats a cool looking arena.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-04-2008 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,493 times
Ya- OKC wont go for the NHL. Its getting the NBA and its a larger market with more going for it when compared to other cities listed, among a vast amount of other things ect. So ya' know.........

But I do truly believe that Oklahoma will eventually have two major league franchises and yes I think once certain things happen for OKCs sister city then IT will come.

OKC will have the NBA soon and will be the first city in America to recieve the next REAL Major League team. You can count on it. Its become a given.

On another note...Why does anyone think Seattle this and that? Seattle is already getting the MLS.

Stern has repeated earlier criticism of the mayor and city council for promoting a measure, overwhelmingly passed by voters, that requires any funds to help build an arena earn money at the same rate as a treasury bill.

That measure simply means there is no way city money would ever be used on an arena project/stadium. Simply put.... people in Sheattle are not into sports like people in the midwest/southwest/east coast.

Last edited by happytown; 12-15-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey