Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,307,958 times

Advertisements

Right now, the league sits at 30 teams. Some of which nearly everyone agrees are in poor locations.

So a hypothetical question: if you was in charge of the NHL - how many teams would you consider ideal, and what cities should they be in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,437,657 times
30 is ok... But, I'd like to see owners relocate a few teams to Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,307,958 times
I can think of some teams which need to go somewhere else: Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix, Carolina

So Winnipeg gets the Jets back, ditto Hartford Whalers. QC and Hamilton get teams, could cut to 28 - 14 in each conference.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM

299 posts, read 904,101 times
30 is OK, but there are about 5 teams that aren't in the right location. Those teams are Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida, Tampa Bay, and the NY Islanders.

The NHL needs to put teams in northern cities like Milwaukee, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Portland, and Seattle. Another interesting argument I've heard is that Minneapolis/St. Paul could support 2 teams. From what I understand, the Wild have sold out every home game ever since they came into existence, and there are many nights when the Wild and Minnesota Golden Gophers play games at the same time, and both arenas are sold out.

Since hockey is so big in Canada, maybe either Montreal or Toronto can support 2 teams...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Led

145 posts, read 423,669 times
The talent pool is very diluted with 30 teams in the division, much like it is with basketball. Take out the failing teams of the south (Florida, TB, Nashville, Phoenix, Atlanta) and try to win back the northern US market first, before expanding further into Canada. It's been established that Canadians like hockey, so why try to enforce it deeper with more teams? Try to get fans in NE, Wisconsin, and Indiana back into the game again by putting teams in Hartford, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis respectively. You'll be left with 28 teams, and the talent will be less diluted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
30 is OK, but there are about 5 teams that aren't in the right location. Those teams are Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida, Tampa Bay, and the NY Islanders.

The NHL needs to put teams in northern cities like Milwaukee, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Portland, and Seattle. Another interesting argument I've heard is that Minneapolis/St. Paul could support 2 teams. From what I understand, the Wild have sold out every home game ever since they came into existence, and there are many nights when the Wild and Minnesota Golden Gophers play games at the same time, and both arenas are sold out.

Since hockey is so big in Canada, maybe either Montreal or Toronto can support 2 teams...
I wouldn't exactly put 2 teams in the PNW, one is fine to try at first. Seattle doesn't even have an arena to support it but it can be done with Portland. Instead of putting an additional team in an already NHL existing city, why not diversify and try another market? If the NHL really wanted to make money they'd put an additional team in Toronto or Monreal; what they want to do though is expand the fan base of the game, not compress it.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM

416 posts, read 1,091,092 times
- Toronto, . . .
definitely deserves another team. The losing Maple Leafs are sold out 5 years in advance.
Balsillie tried, but that IDIOT Bettman wanted to prop up the team in Phoenix instead.
- Montreal, . . .
I never thought about Montreal, but that might be great to have a 2nd team there as well
(LA has 2 teams, and NYC area has 3, so why not Canada's 2 biggest cities in the hotbed of hockey)
- Portland, . . .
I have also heard stats to support Portland over Seattle.
- Houston, . . .
HUGE city, and I have heard they want one. (the biggest city without a team so far)
- Las Vegas, . . .
Aside from locals, wouldnt there be a market for every tourist to catch their own home team while on vacation. It might be the only way for the average Maple Leafs fan to see their team.
- Winnipeg and Quebec City, . . .
I would love to see this, but didnt both cities lose the teams because of too few fans in the stands?? I am not sure about this, so PLEASE correct this stat? Or have the populations and economics of both cities changed enough to support trams this time round?
but
first it will be necessary to get rid of that New York criminal Bettman before any meaningful change can happen.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,776,873 times
I think Milwaukee and Seattle would be good fits for the NHL. As for Canada, I'd support Winnipeg getting another team.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,357,436 times
It was good the way it was before 1991-1992.
I'll add San José to make an even number.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,179,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
-
- Las Vegas, . . .
Aside from locals, wouldnt there be a market for every tourist to catch their own home team while on vacation. It might be the only way for the average Maple Leafs fan to see their team.
No major sports league has put a franchise in Las Vegas because of concerns over gambling, fixing games, and that sort of thing. This may sound silly now. However, legitimate professional wrestling was probably in the top three pro sports in the US in the late 1800s, and one of the big things that killed it (and led to our modern pro wrestling) were concerns over the its integrity. Although admittedly the NHL is in a better position than anyone but MLB to do it as point shaving is a lot less of a concern in hockey and baseball than it is in football and basketball. On the other hand its probably a lot easier for certain positions to get away with throwing a game in hockey than in any other major sport.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,345,205 times
Just not enough support here in Vegas to support an NHL team right now. We will see NBA first way before any NHL team even thinks of relocating to Vegas.

We only get about 4K a game for our local team the Wranglers and until things improve with the economy, not many people here in town can afford tickets.

More financially sound move right now would be a second Toronto team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey