Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

Well, yes, there's that too. Just like Les Alexander (Houston Rockets) owner tried to buy the Edmonton Oilers around 1996 or so with the plan of moving them here. If not Alexander, there's a lot of people with a lot of money in Houston, and there are some teams in the NHL that could go up for sale at a low price by major league sports standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Well, yes, there's that too. Just like Les Alexander (Houston Rockets) owner tried to buy the Edmonton Oilers around 1996 or so with the plan of moving them here. If not Alexander, there's a lot of people with a lot of money in Houston, and there are some teams in the NHL that could go up for sale at a low price by major league sports standards.
Will Houston get one soon?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Nobody knows. If it happens, it will be an existing team that gets moved here. Expansion is out of the question with so many teams on the brink, and it would probably be another Sun Belt city. If the Islanders end up in Kansas City, and the Coyotes end up moving but Winnipeg doesn't work out, Houston becomes the next logical choice. I understand people want to see teams in "traditional" markets but they need to face the facts - the economies and populations in those markets are either stagnant or shrinking, and some of them are barely supporting what teams in other leagues they do have.

People point to Phoenix or Miami as examples of why the NHL wouldn't work in Houston. I would point to Dallas as an example of why it would. As long as there is a competent ownership committed to winning, which the Coyotes for one do not have, there will be support.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
KC's market's actually fairly large, expecially when comparing to every other city on that list; it's the biggest. Still can't fathom why Milwaukee doesn't have a team yet.
I think the Blackhawks claimed territorial rights to Milwaukee, meaning a new owner would have to pay at least 25 million (what the Ducks paid to the Kings in 1993) to move there.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I think the Blackhawks claimed territorial rights to Milwaukee, meaning a new owner would have to pay at least 25 million (what the Ducks paid to the Kings in 1993) to move there.
Surely it's adjusted for inflation since then. 25 million is relatively very cheap.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Led

145 posts, read 423,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Milwaukee hasnt had an ownership group attempting to get a team there since the 90s that I know of. I cant see what it is so hard to fathom a team not playing in a city when there is no owner.
So has there been any updates in the KC paper pertaining to them possibly acquiring another team? What's the status on the arena and the ownership group's current intentions/strategy?

And considering the proximity of the Devils to Islanders and Rangers and the Ducks to Kings, I can't see how a team in Milwaukee can't be done. Milwaukee and Chicago have two completely separate metro areas. It's like Toronto to Buffalo.. doesn't make sense.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
So has there been any updates in the KC paper pertaining to them possibly acquiring another team? What's the status on the arena and the ownership group's current intentions/strategy?
They are articles every now and again. I recently posted this article in this thread about the Islanders claiming that KC is a backup destination for the team if a new arena is not built in NY.

Report: NY Islanders Keeping KC As Backup Plan - Sports News Story - KCTV Kansas City

The Sprint Center opened in 2008 and is currently the 3rd busiest concert venue in the US and 6th busiest in the world.

The ownership group and others involved are attempting to acquire any team looking to relocate since the NHL has made it clear that there will be no expansion.

Quote:
I can't see how a team in Milwaukee can't be done.
It can't be done because there isnt anyone currently trying to obtain a team for Milwaukee. As I said, a sports team cannot exist without an owner. That is the most important part of a city getting a team.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
And considering the proximity of the Devils to Islanders and Rangers and the Ducks to Kings, I can't see how a team in Milwaukee can't be done. Milwaukee and Chicago have two completely separate metro areas. It's like Toronto to Buffalo.. doesn't make sense.
That's not a very encouraging model, really. That's part of why the Whalers moved south and why the Islanders are failing, and the Devils are also a subpar draw considering the consistent quality of the team. Too many teams too close together, in a region absolutely saturated with pro sports teams. Then on top of that, the population of the Tri-State/New England area is a lot higher than along Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee may be technically a separate metro from Chicago, but it has always lived under Chicago's shadow in the sports world, unless we start talking football and claiming the Packers for Milwaukee, which is no less dubious than lumping Milwaukee in with Chicago.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Milwaukee may be technically a separate metro from Chicago, but it has always lived under Chicago's shadow in the sports world, unless we start talking football and claiming the Packers for Milwaukee, which is no less dubious than lumping Milwaukee in with Chicago.
Bull****. Wisconsin has teams in the biggest three leagues. It is quite distinct from Chicago.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Bull****. Wisconsin has teams in the biggest three leagues. It is quite distinct from Chicago.
The Blackhawks, don't recongnize that however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey