U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Yar

12 posts, read 120,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Bring back the Jets!!!

http://www.jetsowner.com

you beat me to it. I was just going to provide the link. If there is going to be a team moving, the smartest location is by far Winnipeg. look up the site if you don't believe me.
GO JETS GO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,097,983 times
No more teams in the United States! I think Winnipeg and Quebec City should get their teams back.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,152,447 times
Ditto what Interpol76 said. If anywhere gets a team it should either be Winnipeg or Quebec.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,192,553 times
Sorry to say, I honestly do not think it will be either. IF, and that is a big IF, the NHL expands in the next 10 years, there will be a team in the US and a team in Canada. The only current team which has a remote chance of moving to either city is Tampa, but Bettman is so "hockey in non-traditional markets" that he might be against that as well. And, IMO, as long as "The Great One" has anything to do with Phoenix, they will not be moving either.

After the impending sale of the Predators this summer to Jim Balsillie, I personally got fed up with the whole "Canada deserves another team" and "hockey in the south is not a good fit" crap. But now, after the fact, I do believe Canada does not deserve (no one deserves a team) but rather can support another team better than any other city in the US could. And I have to admit, as a new fan to the sport (only followed hockey the last 10 years faithfully), if we as fans want to see the sport grow, we need more fans!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:26 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,150,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
After the impending sale of the Predators this summer to Jim Balsillie, I personally got fed up with the whole "Canada deserves another team" and "hockey in the south is not a good fit" crap. But now, after the fact, I do believe Canada does not deserve (no one deserves a team) but rather can support another team better than any other city in the US could. And I have to admit, as a new fan to the sport (only followed hockey the last 10 years faithfully), if we as fans want to see the sport grow, we need more fans!
LOL You been reading HFBoards???

Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM

718 posts, read 2,192,553 times
Not any more! I did all summer trying to understand what was happening to the Predators and why. And I also must admit being only a casual hockey fan until the Predators moved to Nashville. To be honest, I do not recall why the Jets left Winnipeg or why the Whalers left Hartford, nor do I really care. I only know what I have read online. I do know the passion and frustration they feel about losing their team. No sports fans should ever have to go through that!

But, I have also realized more than ever that passion and frustration have nothing to do with the bottom line of a business and its profits. I know now that a lot of teams here in the states are NOT making profits. That is not good for the sport. We need teams filling the arenas every night and getting the monies from concessions and merchandise sells they deserve.

Right now, the best way to do that is to put teams in Canada. I have no doubt the fans will have the new teams making profits! However, this does not fit into the idea Gary Bettman has for the NHL. I still believe once an expansion is agreed upon, one team will go to Canada and the other to a nontraditional market like Las Vegas or Kansas City. But then in several years the Canadian team will be flourishing and the other in the same boat as a lot of teams, not contending for a Cup and not making a profit. It seems to be a vicious cycle with no chance of ending while Bettman is at the helm!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Yar

12 posts, read 120,331 times
so everyone agree that Bettman needs to be fired as commish?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM

7,615 posts, read 8,606,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar View Post
so everyone agree that Bettman needs to be fired as commish?
Yes get him outta there, and while they are at it, get the NHL back on ESPN or maybe even TBS or USA for goodness sake

Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,150,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Yes get him outta there, and while they are at it, get the NHL back on ESPN or maybe even TBS or USA for goodness sake

Is it just me or have you noticed more NHL highlights on ESPN lately?? Seems like maybe ESPN is beginning to kiss some NHL a$$. I say make them keep kissing it until they pony up some real cash and decide they want to carry more than the wings, rangers, and leafs.

Statefan...I quit reading HFboards too. Way too much of that, "WAAHHH hockey doesn't belong in the US, stop stealing our teams" sentiment.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,972,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
I believe most NHL teams have the "girly dancers" now. The Predators have the ice girls who scoop up the ice during intermissions and breaks and then they have the "dancers". By the way, I know of a team whose "girly dancers" had half of their team fired after they were caught doing jello shooters off a popular hockey players stomach! Bad girls or should it be bad boy!
We have the ice crew here in Chicago too, but they dont dance like stripclub whores during intermissions, thank God. I would stop going to the UC if they did that, Im there to see traditional hockey, not to watch scantily clad women prance about. Theres a time and place for that, NOT at a Original 6 hockey game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or