Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM

165 posts, read 661,980 times

Advertisements

I am not an NHL fan, but being from the geographic area in which it is being held, I wonder what real fans think about this event. The NHL seems to be hyping it up big time.

Does it have any value, historic or otherwise? Or is just the same thing in a different package? Anyone getting stoked about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:50 AM

133 posts, read 555,779 times
They did it in 2003 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Temperatures below 0° but the place was packed.

I thought it was pretty cool and look forward to the game in Buffalo, but outdoor games will always be subject to the elements. And when 8th place and last place are only separated by a few points, which is often the case, the NHL might ought to save their Ice Bowls and such for games that don't count in the standings.

Last edited by pt1171; 12-20-2007 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
I think it's an AWESOME idea!! I totally love the concept. I could have gotten tickets to this too but since I was moving I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get up there.... I wish I would have anyway. It would most certainly have been worth the price of the flight!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1171 View Post
They did it in 2003 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Temperatures below 0° but the place was packed.

I thought it was pretty cool and look forward to the game in Buffalo, but outdoor games will always be subject to the elements. And when 8th place and last place are only separated by a few points, which is often the case, the NHL might ought to save their Ice Bowls and such for games that don't count in the standings.

Great win for the Habs that night. It was also fun seeing Theodore with the stocking on over his helmet, neat touch.

Im excited to see this upcoming game, even though I cant stand either team. Lets just pray it doesnt snow.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
Default Icebowl

I Think It Was A Great Idea. It's About Time The Games Were Played In The Elements And It Takes Buffalo To Do It
Yippee!!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
...and the weather is deteriorating as overtime commences... Go Sabres!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM

718 posts, read 2,360,499 times
What a great game! To play in the elements like that with 70+ thousand people cheering you on! It must be a great feeling for a player to hear that sound! I was really impressed with the amount of physical play considering how bad the weather was! But what was the deal with "God Bless American" instead of the National Anthem? I did not like that too much!

This should be a New Year's day tradition every year!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 AM

I would LOVE to see the NHL play 10+ of these per season!! I think it would be a huge advantage to the league. That game was awesome!! The swirling snow...the ice issues!! Made me totally forget my team had just gotten dismantled in a bowl game!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Did anyone happen to watch 1st and 10 today? Skip bayless just basically trashed this event, saying ''This sport is so far off the radar that they have to put it outside?" well if he would have been paying close attention, he would have seen 73,000 fans show up in a football stadium, in the cold snow, to watch a hockey game.I thought the event was great. I would also say the sport is doing better than all hockey-bashers claim it is and doesnt need comments from people like mr. bayless.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Did anyone happen to watch 1st and 10 today? Skip bayless just basically trashed this event, saying ''This sport is so far off the radar that they have to put it outside?" well if he would have been paying close attention, he would have seen 73,000 fans show up in a football stadium, in the cold snow, to watch a hockey game.I thought the event was great. I would also say the sport is doing better than all hockey-bashers claim it is and doesnt need comments from people like mr. bayless.
Well...look at the name of the guy's show, 1st and 10?!?! It's obvious that he's gonna be a bit biased. He probably views the enormous success of this event as a threat to sovereignty of the NFL in stadiums around the country. Just imagine what might happen if we begin to have more and more of these and they continue ot sell out. All of a sudden, the NHL might have some NFL-like leverage!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey