Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Yes, they started the "charity drive" to goose sales. Buy a ticket and give a $1 to Opportunity Village.

Next week…..

Buy now and give a fluffy kitten to an orphan in Vegas. All kittens without an orphan next week will be killed and sold at the Palms buffet as orange chicken. Think of the kittens!!!!
Interesting... The true colors show well in this message.

So when there's an event that allows it's admission fee to be canned good and non-perishable food items, do you go to them and make fun of that too?
I would love to see it because I can guarantee someone would lay you out to the point of you having no recollection of your own stupidity even occurring.

It's actually a fantastic way to get people involved... And the thousands of people who had already put their deposits down have expressed plenty of gratitude for the donations.

It's rather obvious you live with an extremely selfish attitude... A team in Vegas isn't what YOU want, so you actually stoop to the level of bashing charitable contributions associated with the ticket drive in order to get your naysaying across.

Good work... The spotlight is on you and it's not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
While I understand the animosity towards a Vegas team, this recent ESPN article may surprise those that harbor the animosity:

NHL Bad predictions: What we didn't know - ESPN

Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 16,734 times
So...Toronto Metro needs another hockey team? I guess after 40+ years of watching the Maple Laffs crash and burn, everybody wants to watch "competitive" hockey.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM

143 posts, read 158,749 times
Would another team in Toronto even work? The Leafs are such a historic franchise and have such deep roots in the city, I can't imagine people giving up on the Leafs (although maybe they should) to support a different expansion Toronto team. I've heard Hamilton thrown around, and I could see that working, but I just can't picture a second Toronto team developing a hardcore fan base. As a side note, I consider myself more of a general hockey fan with casual support for the Leafs and Blackhawks, but I've already said if Seattle gets an NHL team that will be my #1, I hope eventually they do, I think they would do well in Seattle

Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM

538 posts, read 659,133 times
I have been having this debate with some friends now for a few days... does Cleveland deserve an NHL team, and if so is it big enough to support 4 major teams?

Or would one of their other teams have to move in order to support and NHL team?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
I think the issue with Cleveland is that Columbus hasn't been a great market for the NHL. It's good but not great. Generally, the house is 80-85% full for home games with a bad team. I agree that there could be A LOT of natural rivalry games and attendance might not be any better in Cleveland than Columbus.

There are a number of logistical issues that Cleveland would have to deal with if the NHL moved in like the Cavs having to share the arena. Also, LeBron et. al. sucks up a lot of corporate marketing dollars which make it tougher for NHL players to get endorsements and the NHL team to get tickets. With little TV revenue, those dollars take on a higher importance. Another is the discretionary spend level in Cleveland says Cleveland can't support what it has now.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM

538 posts, read 659,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I think the issue with Cleveland is that Columbus hasn't been a great market for the NHL. It's good but not great. Generally, the house is 80-85% full for home games with a bad team. I agree that there could be A LOT of natural rivalry games and attendance might not be any better in Cleveland than Columbus.

There are a number of logistical issues that Cleveland would have to deal with if the NHL moved in like the Cavs having to share the arena. Also, LeBron et. al. sucks up a lot of corporate marketing dollars which make it tougher for NHL players to get endorsements and the NHL team to get tickets. With little TV revenue, those dollars take on a higher importance. Another is the discretionary spend level in Cleveland says Cleveland can't support what it has now.
The Cavs already share the arena with the Monsters, so the sharing the arena would not likely be an issue.

The point with LeBron would be the biggest thing. The team would need to be good right away, and there would need to be a star player there in order to spike the fans interest.

Also, the Monsters are routinely among the league leaders in attendance in the AHL, so Cleveland is showing it can support a hockey team.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM

So a while ago, Vegas hit 10,000 deposits from local individuals. Once they hit 10,000, Foley's group decided to start letting local businesses and corporations reserve seats/boxes as well.
I have not heard an update since the second phase of the ticket drive started, but the overall feeling in the city is very positive. I see them capping the drive at 12,000... Maybe 12,500. The arena will have a capacity of 17,500 and they want to leave room for 10-packs as well as single-game tickets for locals and visitors alike.
The arena is well on it's way to being completed and has had no setbacks. It is scheduled to open April of next year.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
The only new markets that would make sense are Quebec City and Seattle... I still think Las Vegas is just a ruse, and there's no way in hell the Laffs would give up their Toronto monopoly!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
The only new markets that would make sense are Quebec City and Seattle... I still think Las Vegas is just a ruse, and there's no way in hell the Laffs would give up their Toronto monopoly!
Seattle is first *talking* about developing an arena now... So a market isn't a market when there isn't yet a place to play.
Do they have an ownership group? Will they ask the public to contribute tax dollars to an arena?

Vegas is past all those potential roadblocks and have over 11,000 full-season ticket deposits collected... Which will be capped shortly to leave room for 10-packs and single game tickets for tourists.

Vegas is as legit as it gets... Less than one year til the $375 million, privately-funded arena is finished, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey