U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:50 AM

13 posts, read 13,663 times

Advertisements

I'm not the hockey guy in my family - my son is. He plays for the Surrey Minor Hockey Association - finished up second year house league Peewee and is going into Bantam next season.

Any other players or proud hockey dads out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 PM

693 posts, read 812,777 times
Played mens league ice from 24-39. Played pickup and mens league roller from 30-46. No kids, but instilled a love of hockey in my only nephew and was am a proud uncle. He started playing roller pickup games with me when he was 12(big kid) and surpassed my skill level when he was 14. At 54 and waiting for a kidney transplant, my playing days are done, but I still watch as much as I can. Lets go Rangers!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,129,806 times
I play in beer leagues twice a week. I wish I was as good at hockey as I am at soccer.. I probably could have gone somewhere with it!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 469,333 times
Who has enough money to play hockey? With the abysmal state of the economy what percentage of kids actually have an opportunity to play Ice Hockey? I guess it would be easier and cheaper if you live in a state like Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan etc. where you can just go to any lake in the winter time and play (or maybe even make your own ice on your property). But for most of the country you have to pay for precious ice time. And then you have expensive equipment as well. That is why the interest in hockey has capped in this country and will remain that way. For most of the country Hockey is a novelty sport similar to Horse Racing or Indy Car.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,542,263 times
Bigben.

You have just explained why more than 50 percent of the professional hockey players in North America are from Canada. On some NHL teams that number approaches 70 percent of the lineup.

The vast majority of those NHL players came from a two parent family, who supported their son's sports team, encouraged him to be as good as he could be, and at the same time insisted that he stay in school and make top marks. In Canada, you may be surprised to know.......We don't have ANY sports scholarships at our Universities, even for hockey. On the other hand, a Canadian can get a "full ride " scholarship IF they are a top notch scholar, with an average above 90 percent on their entrance examination.

So, my point is this...........Hockey is a sport that costs money to play, yes, but it also requires a large amount of dedication, and skill, to get to the top level. Ever wonder why so few African Americans are on college swim teams ? There are no professional swimming leagues. On the other hand, there are big dollars to be made playing in the NBA, the NFL, and MLB. In the NHL there are over 700 players, but only about 30 black players. Cost is the answer to that fact ?

And finally......roller hockey ? Canadians laugh at that idea .

Jim b.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 PM

8,311 posts, read 7,499,676 times
Actually you can play floor hockey, street hockey and roller hockey to learn the in close stick handling which is probably the most important skill to learn. You dont have to pay to do those. As for the other physical aspects, you can attain those from other sports. Cardio you can attain from soccer, strength you can get from wrestling or football. Once you have developed those, learn to skate, and you should be on your way to becoming a decent player without needing to pay for so much ice time like many of the other kids.

I play open hockey. I cannot make the commitment to play in a league. I only started playing. I moved to NYC and moved close to a rink, so I picked it up. By the way, it seems ice hockey is very popular in NYC now. Mark Messier is trying to build a huge rink in the Bronx. And this city already has about five.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:51 AM

88 posts, read 15,545 times
played from age 5 up to bantam.
quit playing in my early teens.
later teens played 'pickup' aka 'scrub' hockey with a weekly group.

20's and 30's played beer league in various leagues with scrub in between
40's to 50's back to scrub - regular weekly group; runs Oct-April.

Dad is still playing twice a week in two groups he runs. He's in his early 80's.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM

11,257 posts, read 8,058,985 times
I played from age 5 up until Midget AAA. Quit playing some time mid high school. Started playing beer league a few years ago. I'm 33. Still just as much fun as it was back then.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:16 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,035,718 times
I play in a house league and on a travel team. We just won a tournament last weekend (went undefeated, zero goals allowed). Oh, and I'm female.

I have one in Mites and a Squirt goalie (both girls).

Dad has played his entire life as well as coached for years. He coached high school before we had kids and now coaches them.

Proud hockey player and hockey mom.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 2,133,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Who has enough money to play hockey? With the abysmal state of the economy what percentage of kids actually have an opportunity to play Ice Hockey? I guess it would be easier and cheaper if you live in a state like Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan etc. where you can just go to any lake in the winter time and play (or maybe even make your own ice on your property). But for most of the country you have to pay for precious ice time. And then you have expensive equipment as well. That is why the interest in hockey has capped in this country and will remain that way. For most of the country Hockey is a novelty sport similar to Horse Racing or Indy Car.
In reality it has become expensive to play most sports these days. Sports participation among youth has seen it's steepest decline among those from lower income families. The NHL for several years now has been promoting hockey in inner cities. The league itself along with it's individual teams have been throwing money at various programs giving those kids free ice time along with providing equipment. It is all part of the NHL's HIFE (Hockey Is For Everyone) program.

The NHL also realizes to survive it needs to grow it's fan base by bringing in minorities to replace the current mostly white male fan base that will eventually die off.
Former player Andrew Ference has been given that task being given the title "Director of Social Impact and Growth Initiatives".

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ed-white-dudes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or